Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

2 Crashes in 2 days.......

Reaction score
So One was my fault the other I am not sure.
Last night after a return flight of about 1.5 miles I was bringing it down in my back yard between my 80 ft Oak trees. Just after clearing the tree tops my Ipad slipped out of the holder causing me to grab at it. When I did that I hit the sticks and it shot straight up and clip the trees before I could get it under control. It fell straight down and broke one prop and the camera flew off. To my surprise the gimble and all were perfectly fine. I plugged it back in and everything is a OK.

Today. I took my P3P out. The batteries were charged last week. They all still read 98% or so. I took it out on a familiar route. Over a patch of trees across a pond and into more trees. That route works out at more distance then I can fly so I always need to turn back however this time I got about a 1/2 mile out and all of the sudden a warning said critical low battery. It initiated a landing. I'm looking at it and I'm right near the pond. Trying to move it at all but no response. It then disconnected. I started heading towards the area. It took me over 10 minutes to get to the area with the traffic. I jump out looking for a spot to get near the pond. There is a strip of homes near it which isn't in my flight route when I follow the trees. I'm looking at the map and It shows me right near it, I then see it. It landed on a 6 ft privacy fence that was maybe 100 feet from the pond. It was sitting on the fence with he wood coming up between the camera and the leg. Even luckier it was on the public side of the fence. I reached up and grabbed it and off I went. I am not sure how it ended up exactly there but I'm glad I was able to find it. The camera ribbon cable that transmits the video came unplugged and one blade broken. I had a 10.00 camera protector on that stretched across from one leg to the other. That was knocked loose from one side but still hanging on. I'm thinking that might have saved my camera. So the 2 strange things about this situation. (1) after the flight and it landing and the 10 mins or so sitting idle but powered on when I checked the battery it still had 24%. I have it set for 30% low battery and 10% critical. (2) weird thing the props had a bunch of dirt on them as if they where hitting dirt. Is it possible it landed and me playing with the sticks recovered it and it took off again? I hope to figure out the cause of the crash. I am recharging the battery and will put some stress on it flying around my hard to see if I can duplicate the power loss

So One was my fault the other I am not sure.
Last night after a return flight of about 1.5 miles I was bringing it down in my back yard between my 80 ft Oak trees. Just after clearing the tree tops my Ipad slipped out of the holder causing me to grab at it. When I did that I hit the sticks and it shot straight up and clip the trees before I could get it under control. It fell straight down and broke one prop and the camera flew off. To my surprise the gimble and all were perfectly fine. I plugged it back in and everything is a OK.

Today. I took my P3P out. The batteries were charged last week. They all still read 98% or so. I took it out on a familiar route. Over a patch of trees across a pond and into more trees. That route works out at more distance then I can fly so I always need to turn back however this time I got about a 1/2 mile out and all of the sudden a warning said critical low battery. It initiated a landing. I'm looking at it and I'm right near the pond. Trying to move it at all but no response. It then disconnected. I started heading towards the area. It took me over 10 minutes to get to the area with the traffic. I jump out looking for a spot to get near the pond. There is a strip of homes near it which isn't in my flight route when I follow the trees. I'm looking at the map and It shows me right near it, I then see it. It landed on a 6 ft privacy fence that was maybe 100 feet from the pond. It was sitting on the fence with he wood coming up between the camera and the leg. Even luckier it was on the public side of the fence. I reached up and grabbed it and off I went. I am not sure how it ended up exactly there but I'm glad I was able to find it. The camera ribbon cable that transmits the video came unplugged and one blade broken. I had a 10.00 camera protector on that stretched across from one leg to the other. That was knocked loose from one side but still hanging on. I'm thinking that might have saved my camera. So the 2 strange things about this situation. (1) after the flight and it landing and the 10 mins or so sitting idle but powered on when I checked the battery it still had 24%. I have it set for 30% low battery and 10% critical. (2) weird thing the props had a bunch of dirt on them as if they where hitting dirt. Is it possible it landed and me playing with the sticks recovered it and it took off again? I hope to figure out the cause of the crash. I am recharging the battery and will put some stress on it flying around my hard to see if I can duplicate the power loss
"1/2 mile? That's 2, 640 feet. I respect your courage and your eyeballs but I cannot see my P3P nor I1P beyond 1,300 feet, even with strobes. Are you flying BLOS? Not preaching but weird things can happen out of your field of view.

And this is a very classic case of battery discharge error. Has been fixed through firmware, for the most part, on the I1 but it must still exist for phantoms. Never fly a battery that has begun to discharge. It seems to create an error in voltage readings that ends up in a critical battery error and a forced landing. Seen it many times only and had it happen to me at least two seperate times until I figured it out. Never fly a battery that is not at 100%.
My only exception to that rule is if it is a battery I just used from 100% and I want to finish off the battery within a short time of haveing initially used it. But if a few hours pass, I discharge and recharge.

I wonder if your Phantom didn't actually crash-land in this persons yard and they simply placed it up on the fence for you to find it...

That's exactly what happened
I see it perfectly fine. Its a speck but using the map and the camera I have no issue piloting it,

So I now know exactly what happened but (2) things occurred that I can not explain. It seems that I may have taken off with a battery I had just used. (I know a preflight checklist Fu Pa) I was only 1:26 secs. into flight. Altitude 131 ft Distance 662 feet. During that flight I had 3 Warnings of the "Warning Propulsion Output limited. Aircraft Mobility has been lowered. The first one occurred Vertical speed 5.1 mph Horizontal speed 18.5 Mph so I don't know why it triggered it as I wasn't pushing the system hard. Battery % was at 41% when taking off at 1:26 seconds I was at 40 % and it went straight to Critical battery (1) unknown reason, it then started to descend. As It started to descend it flew in a straight line back towards me approximately 100 feet (2nd unknown reason) which put it over an apartment complex parking lot. A home owner had a tree at the very end of his property and the branches extended out over his fence into the lot. I was only a few feet off from most likely landing on a flat surface. At 1:48 seconds into flight it makes contact with the trees At 1:56 seconds its on the ground laying on its back camera panning a bit upwards. At 5:52 seconds an elderly man appears, bends down an picks the P3 up. He then walks a few feet to his fence and at 6:45 seconds hangs it on the edge of the fence. The video runs for 9:20 seconds total then goes blank. After that it comes back on as a new video file. This files runs for 4:26 secs when I walk up to it and retrieve it. Not sure how much time lapsed between the 2 files.
So I have no idea why it would start a descent with critical battery 38% or why it would start flying back towards me during that process.

"1/2 mile? That's 2, 640 feet. I respect your courage and your eyeballs but I cannot see my P3P nor I1P beyond 1,300 feet, even with strobes. Are you flying BLOS? Not preaching but weird things can happen out of your field of view.
What weird things happen BLOS that aren't going to happen LOS?...accept that people will never fly LOS on a device that is made to fly 10,000 feet away.

Today. I took my P3P out. The batteries were charged last week. They all still read 98% or so.

And potentially in discharge mode which has been a know issue in DJI batteries.

Always 'top off' your batteries if you charged them more than 24 hours before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What weird things happen BLOS that aren't going to happen LOS?...accept that people will never fly LOS on a device that is made to fly 10,000 feet away.
Lawman said he could see his aircraft so he wasn't BLOS..
If a bird strikes your aircraft and you can't see it happen then it becomes another "mysterious crash." Or if you hit a tree limb out of your VLOS, same thing. Not to mention flying BLOS is violating FAA rules.
". people will never fly LOS on a device that is made to fly 10,000 feet away." So you drive 100 mph in school zone because your car can? Pretty lame.

Last edited:
Your situational awareness is compromised to the point of almost zero.
You have no aural sense to warn you of approaching aircraft, you have no peripheral vision and at best your field of view is 94 degrees.
Additionally, you have no sight on the aircraft to alert you of attitude issues or control anomolies.
There is a reason BVLOS flight is illegal except for specific certified flights/circumstances.

Reactions: Phatzo
Weither I was Blos bvlos on los, isn't the issue. Regardless the issue is the bird deciding to go from 40% to critical and landing without cause. Even after the crash and 10mins of battery sitting idle when it was recovered it still show 22+ percent. It was a slow decent into tree's so I'm ruling out any contact with any airborne objects

Weither I was Blos bvlos on los, isn't the issue. Regardless the issue is the bird deciding to go from 40% to critical and landing without cause. Even after the crash and 10mins of battery sitting idle when it was recovered it still show 22+ percent. It was a slow decent into tree's so I'm ruling out any contact with any airborne objects
sounds like a battery voltage thingy error... make sure dou top em up every time before you go flying :)
possibility will be reduced to a min if you always start with a 100% charge.
damon has a thread "i want my mAh back !" very good explained how to recover some lost mAh due to algorithm calculation errors which lead to wrong / scewed voltage readings of the battery by the "smart" pcb.

i do not know if the process works on phantom batteries but if tehre is a smart pcb inside it is worth a try.
my 2c
:)
cheers

Beg to differ. If you had your bird in sight then I have no issues, but anyone who goes BLOS jeopardizes my business and the thousands of $ I, and others like me, have invested in aircraft, business licenses, insurance, websites, etc. Whether one is a hobbyist or commercial, we all have a responsibility to fly in accordance with the rules. I am sick and tired of others' behavior reflecting on me. With a handle like Lawman, I would think you understand.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
william_sewell