Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

2nd Inspire 1 RC tablet

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am new to the forum so please excuse me if my question seems stupid. After placing winning bids on two separate Inspire1's on eBay, and both times having the transaction cancelled by the seller probably because they failed to achieve a high enough price, I am ordering a New Inspire 1 with duel remotes from a reputable on line site, and can't wait to get started. The forum is very informative so no doubt will be posting a few more questions. My question is, does the tablet or phone connected to the slave RC for controlling the camera need to have the DJI App installed on it, and also which of the two RC's, master or slave, would I connect to my lowest quality tablet. To keep the cost of my second tablet down I was thinking of buying a Hudle 2, as I have seen threads about them working reasonably well, but I was wondering if the Dji App on the slave remote tablet froze, would the App on the primary remote tablet carry on working so allowing full control of the Inspire 1. Thanks - Cjvw

Hi and welcome to the forum and the world of Inspires.

Yes you will need to run the GO app on both, the general idea being that with dual remotes the master is for the pilot and the slave for the camera operator. One thing to be aware of (unless the latest update has changed it - which I need to check) is that if the slave RC operator reviews a photo or video mid-flight, the master RC screen will also show the photo / video thereby losing the live flight telemetry and live camera view. Once the review is closed then the screen reverts to normal. I run a Hudl 2, an iPad air and an iPad mini 2 quite successfully and apart from the above, if one hangs up (ocasionally the Hudl) the other isn't affected.

I usually connect the better tablet (iPad air) to the slave as the camera operator needs the better picture and the minimum of video lag which can be a problem with some android tablets though this seems to be improving with software updates.

I bought a Hudl as a second tablet but once the GO app was launched a problem appeared whereby the app crashed. See here:

DJI GO on hudl 2 | DJI Inspire Forum

also on Phantom Pilots forum:

Professional - Hudl 2 with dji go | DJI Phantom Forum

Until you get your Inspire and become familiar with the app this may not make sense but the problem can be overcome albeit with the loss of the video caching feature. The latest updates haven't fixed this problem though I hope that a future Hudl update may do so. As the Hudl is unlikely to be a supported device my fear is that problems will continue to arise from time to time and so I invested in the iPad mini 2 as my main tablet. At least with the iPads they are supported by DJI and are all share the IOS platform from the one manufacturer unlike the multitude of android devices. It also seems that new features appear first on the IOS devices and I believe the simulator still isn't yet available for android tablets. It also seems to me from reading posts that the IOS devices have the edge in terms of display quality and video performance (viewing, not recording).

Lots of threads on tablet choices on this forum (and Phantom Pilots) so do your research but I have to advise against a Hudl 2 - learn from my mistake. If you go for an iPad just make sure it's compatible - needs to be an iPad air or later and an iPad mini 2 or later, earlier versions aren't compatible. Of course you can also use an iPhone 5s or later but with a screen smaller than a 6+ it may be a struggle.

Good luck and enjoy your bird.

Thanks Simon, that all makes sense what you have told me, the tablet I have just bought is an iPad air 2, I don't think I'll bother with the hudle, the iPad air is getting a bit cheaper now the iPad air 2 is out so I'll look for one for the second tablet. Looking forward to getting my hands on the Inspire, there's a fair bit I've got to learn with updating firmware, charging and maintaining batteries properly etc, but there is plenty of useful info on this site.

The only thing I would say is that the full-sized iPad make the RC quite top heavy. I find the iPad mini is much more usable for general flying and perfectly adequate for filming. You may want to see how you get on with your air 2 before deciding on what size to go for with the second tablet.

The only thing I would say is that the full-sized iPad make the RC quite top heavy. I find the iPad mini is much more usable for general flying and perfectly adequate for filming. You may want to see how you get on with your air 2 before deciding on what size to go for with the second tablet.
Thanks again for the info, another question if you have the time, when you have been using the two RC's one for flying and one for camera control, is it a simple matter

Simple matter to just use one RC the next time you fly, will the camera controls be automatically on the master RC, or would you have to reset anything. Thanks

It's very straightforward. The slave RC initially needs to be connected but will only be able to control the camera using the sticks to pan, tilt and adjust gimbal. The master RC remains he same as for single control, using the sticks to fly and a thumbwheell for the camera pan and tilt. You don't need to reset anything when you revert to single use.

Download and read the user manual from the DJI site - it's a bit out of date now regarding the GO app features but it takes you through the dual control set up and operation.

Reactions: Cjvw
Without hijacking the thread I'd like to ask a related question. I am having difficulty setting up the second controller. The details in the latest instructions don't correspond with what appears on the screen in the DJI Go app. Can anyone advise or direct me to a dedicated thread please?

I use 2 iPad Air 2's 1 64gb and 1 16gb, i was lucky enough to take advantage of a price war about 3 months ago, and managed to get the 16gb for about £270 (rough estimate, i live in Norway) So it made sense with that pricing...!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annettekirtont