Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

30 second exposures from the ground?

Reaction score
Any advice on gimbal settings for shooting long exposure star photos from the ground? I was playing with this a few nights ago trying to get some shots of the leonids, set the i2 on the ground using a 30 second exposure, but many of them came out blurry like the gimbal twitched at some point, any advice on gimbal settings to "lock" the gimbal still or as still as possible?

May not be the advice you want to hear, but buy a dslr or micro 4/3 camera so you can use your Inspire lens and then get a tripod. You've made the investment in an I2, so you're down the path of the right equipment for the right job. I use a Nikon D810 for that type of shot. But lately have considered getting the Pano GH5.

Gary's advice is spot On.

Unfortunately gimbals don't take to well to being still and tend to make random small movements or twitches, and that'll show up on a long exposure. You might get a few shots that work, but you'll get more that won't :(

For long exposure work, I use a carbon fibre Gitzo tripod with a DSLR with everything locked down (and the mirror locked up!).

If you don't want to go for a DSLR and lenses, then definitely think about the M4/3rds cameras to reuse your X5S lenses on.

Reactions: slim.slamma
Yeah, with the fan in the I2 it is sort of buzzy with the slow shutter speeds. I can feel the gimbal vibrations while mine is on so a slow shutter isn't good for me.

Since I have 2-3 Olympus lenses I went with an Olympus Pen-F for it's small size and the ability to upgrade the lens firmware in them too rather than send the lenses to Olympus for $140 each to do the version updates should they need them. Olympus has some standalone update downloader as well as the one in their RAW image viewer software both. Menu is sort of deep and some say there are 150 adjustments possible.

Plus, you can use old film camera lenses with adapters on the Pen-F body like my old and rare Pentax 120mm Takumar lens that became a 240mm on the Pen-F moonshot below along with the sensor stabilization turned on. I need to play more with the movie mode on it as I can see the vibration of me going from the EVF to the steadiness of the video image when I click on the Movie Record button which smooths it down a lot like it was on a gimbal or steadicam.

Moon with Pen-F.jpg

Reactions: slim.slamma
I have had two X5S and they produce jumpy shots in Interval mode when just resting on a table. This is the baseline for the X5S and it does not have the Lock Gimbal when Capturing mode like the P4P does. I own both of these drones and they produce jumpy shots in interval mode when just resting on a table. This is something I think is the tech level of these gimbals at the moment, hopefully the next generation gimbals for the say the Phantom 5 will have a better baseline when just resting on a table. I have not tested the X7 but would love to know how that handles interval shots while just sitting on a table or test bench. The speed up video technique seems to be the best option and guys like Rufus Blackwell are perfecting it with the Inspire 2 platform.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GroverBaez