Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

3rd party apps for filmmakers

Reaction score
From a filmmakers point of view,
Is it worthy to use 3rd party apps on the inspire 1? What are the advantages and what are the best apps? Is there a risk of crashing the drone because of the app?

Sent from my iPhone using InspirePilots

Reactions: Drone-Operations
I would certainly check out AutoPilot from Autoflight Logic. It's only for IOS, or Litchi for Android and IOS. Both can help you to fly the craft while you can focus on the shots, OR automatically focus on a subject while you concentrate on flying (especially Autopilot). You can also have auto panoramas at a given waypoint.
Waypoint based flying can also help to get specific shots (cable cam) or precise repetitive shots with different light or weather conditions. These apps are safe (provided you know what your doing and you know your responsibilities) and tested by many members on the forum.

Autopilot can be a bit intimidating at first because of the wealth of choices you get. But you can choose the simplest mode with limited options first. The focus mode is a very good option to begin with. You fly, and the app focusses on a given direction, a chosen subject, or yourself.

I would not advice to use the follow me functions because the I1 is a bit too heavy and the GPS receiver in the RC is weak. It does work however and I use it on occasion, be it with many precautions. Ensure there is enough free, safe, open space along the flight path, it will follow but likely with some unexpected moves that surprise you later while watching the footage.

I would certainly check out AutoPilot from Autoflight Logic. It's only for IOS, or Litchi for Android and IOS. Both can help you to fly the craft while you can focus on the shots, OR automatically focus on a subject while you concentrate on flying (especially Autopilot). You can also have auto panoramas at a given waypoint.
Waypoint based flying can also help to get specific shots (cable cam) or precise repetitive shots with different light or weather conditions. These apps are safe (provided you know what your doing and you know your responsibilities) and tested by many members on the forum.

Autopilot can be a bit intimidating at first because of the wealth of choices you get. But you can choose the simplest mode with limited options first. The focus mode is a very good option to begin with. You fly, and the app focusses on a given direction, a chosen subject, or yourself.

I would not advice to use the follow me functions because the I1 is a bit too heavy and the GPS receiver in the RC is weak. It does work however and I use it on occasion, be it with many precautions. Ensure there is enough free, safe, open space along the flight path, it will follow but likely with some unexpected moves that surprise you later while watching the footage.

I second this - did a follow me mode just the other it did for about 5 seconds then took off. I was scared for a bit since it went another direction. Luckily I've been flying for awhile and was able to get it back. But I would never do that again. Footage showed it was flying along a major highway. Not good.

I second this - did a follow me mode just the other it did for about 5 seconds then took off. I was scared for a bit since it went another direction. Luckily I've been flying for awhile and was able to get it back. But I would never do that again. Footage showed it was flying along a major highway. Not good.

Exactly,

Follow Me over a big lake, using a power boat is a lot of fun though. As long as there are no tall masts around, but to be on the safe side I keep it at 20m high minimum, and 100m away from any other boat. Sail yachts are predictable (if you know sailing) but they wouldn't be able to steer away quickly from the drones path if something happens. And follow me with the I1 me IS unpredictable. The I1 can easily shoot 30m off the path before it picks up the RC's GPS postion again. But you get incredible unexpected angles you would never be able to fly and film manually. Use it as if you fly it yourself, have your finger at the switch to be able to abort and fly manually, never lose it out of sight, predict it's flightpath constantly, and have an observer checking the surroundings for traffic, living beings or obstructions (with a 50-100m safety margin) along the expected flight path.

Reactions: Tishawn Fahie
Exactly,

Follow Me over a big lake, using a power boat is a lot of fun though. As long as there are no tall masts around, but to be on the safe side I keep it at 20m high minimum, and 100m away from any other boat. Sail yachts are predictable (if you know sailing) but they wouldn't be able to steer away quickly from the drones path if something happens. And follow me with the I1 me IS unpredictable. The I1 can easily shoot 30m off the path before it picks up the RC's GPS postion again. But you get incredible unexpected angles you would never be able to fly and film manually. Use it as if you fly it yourself, have your finger at the switch to be able to abort and fly manually, never lose it out of sight, predict it's flightpath constantly, and have an observer checking the surroundings for traffic, living beings or obstructions (with a 50-100m safety margin) along the expected flight path.

Great points and thank you. Yeah viewing the footage there were some interesting angles indeed. Getting my part 107 cert taught me a lot.

An VO is a must. That day it was me testing out some of the autonomous features.

From a filmmakers point of view,
Is it worthy to use 3rd party apps on the inspire 1? What are the advantages and what are the best apps? Is there a risk of crashing the drone because of the app?

The advantage is that third-party apps don't lock you out of your bird while you're out on location miles from Internet or cell service. If DJI locks me out ONE MORE TIME I'm jumping ship and either looking for a different platform altogether, or am going to look for a third-party app for real-time flight, not just automation.

That said, I have used Autopilot with good success. Beware that fully automated flight utilizes the iPad AS the Flight Controller. This is VERY resource heavy. So you will find on warm days that the iPad heats up and the app just shuts down mid-mission with no warning. If it's cool out, I can fly fully automated Autopilot missions all day with no problems on my iPad Air 1. If it's warm out (over 80°), I have to store my iPad Air Pro in the refrigerator over night, then keep it in a cooler on the way to the job site, and then fly my automated mission, keeping the iPad in the shade the whole time. If it gets too hot, the app just closes without warning, and the bird hovers in place.

It's amazing to me...with all this great UAV hardware that the software is so crappy.

Here's a video of my recent experience in the field. Thank GOD this didn't happen on a film set. You might want to turn the volume down on your sound card if the kids are around.

The advantage is that third-party apps don't lock you out of your bird while you're out on location miles from Internet or cell service. If DJI locks me out ONE MORE TIME I'm jumping ship and either looking for a different platform altogether, or am going to look for a third-party app for real-time flight, not just automation.

That said, I have used Autopilot with good success. Beware that fully automated flight utilizes the iPad AS the Flight Controller. This is VERY resource heavy. So you will find on warm days that the iPad heats up and the app just shuts down mid-mission with no warning. If it's cool out, I can fly fully automated Autopilot missions all day with no problems on my iPad Air 1. If it's warm out (over 80°), I have to store my iPad Air Pro in the refrigerator over night, then keep it in a cooler on the way to the job site, and then fly my automated mission, keeping the iPad in the shade the whole time. If it gets too hot, the app just closes without warning, and the bird hovers in place.

It's amazing to me...with all this great UAV hardware that the software is so crappy.

Here's a video of my recent experience in the field. Thank GOD this didn't happen on a film set. You might want to turn the volume down on your sound card if the kids are around.

That video is awesome!!! I had to watch it twice to see how you really felt :) I could have made identical videos on many ocassions.

Lol. This needs to be sent to dji by everyone that owns one of their drones then maybe ,just maybe they’ll get the hint.

I had the same issue with my 4 IPads and 1 IPhone all updated to the new DJI go app . Could not log into my account on any device. And I was at home with internet connection.after a lot poaking at the app to sign in I was able to get one to sign in. (At least 20 minutes) the same thing with the other 3 IPads and my IPhone. I have since not logged out of my account for fear of going through that again. DJI needs get it together fast because I feel the same way. I am also seriously looking for another platform. I have 2 inspire1 pros duel controllers on each. Both carry the X5 / X3 / and the Z3
All have some issues that weren’t a problem a year ago. All the firmware updates have serious issues with each one. Sorry for the long post, but I am just frustrated to the point of cutting my losses and throwing these things in the back of a trash truck that comes by my house every Wednesday morning

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
codymorgan