Welcome to InspirePilots.com

Join the leading DJI Inspire community for free!

A bit confused on this airspace.

Discussion in 'Certified UAV Pilots' started by Greg Lucas, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Greg Lucas

I've got a request to fly at 1715 Oceanside Blvd, Oceanside, CA. I've looked at AirMap and they don't site any restriction from Oceanside airport, which is less than 2 miles away. They do show a restriction from Carlsbad airport (Palomar) but I'm not even sure why that exists since it's further than 5 miles away. Oddly, B4UFLY shows a 5 mile circle for Oceanside but only give generic 'contact the tower' advisories without even saying which airport they wish you to contact. Can someone that has a better grasp on this than I tell me what the actual restrictions are for this location?

2. Florida Drone Supply

Approved Vendor

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong. It appears that your shoot location is just within the dashed magenta lines which indicates a Class E Airspace which is from surface to 700 feet AGL meaning you will need an authorization/waiver. However I think there might be some sort of statement saying that the Class E is only in effect when the tower is closed. It appears that the tower is operational from 0700-2200. Hopefully someone else will chime in on this for a little more clarity.

Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 9.27.04 PM.png

3. licensed pilot

From the Airport directory page:
    AIRSPACE: CLASS D svc 1500–0600Z‡ other times CLASS G.
    I think you are good at that address, but this is only my opinion; your mileage may vary. ;)

4. Greg Lucas

Thanks both. I turned the job down actually. It's a bit of a drive and I would hate to get there and have the Go app tell me I can't fly, regardless of the facts. Pretty odd one as I'd be much more concerned with traffic out of Oceanside which is less than 2 miles away. Of course the real danger I always deal with is police copters speeding out of no where at 150ft.

5. Aerojo

I've flown a lot in Oceanside, CA. I had a guy flying up the coast about 100' off the ground in a motorized parachute. Fortunately I was changing batteries.
    He came up fast and silent. Keep your head on a swivel.

6. boefinator

Per the FAA, that Class E extension of the Class D does not require approval. Only Class E surface areas at Class E airports, not the Class E extensions of C/D.