Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

A yellow quad at 1500ft?

Tj_

Reaction score
Website
gsomething.net
My father was flying in his real helicopter the other day at 1500ft and a yellow quadcopter came within 50ft of him. My question is "are there any factory yellow quads that can achieve 1500ft?" I am aware people paint their drones. He said it was as big as my inspire 1 and it wasn't a phantom. I showed him the parrot and he said it wasn't that. He said he didn't even notice the drone until it looked like a hi-lighter marker whizzing by. It would of been too late for corrective action if it was head on. I bet the pilot of the UAS **** themselves!

My father was flying in his real helicopter the other day at 1500ft and a yellow quadcopter came within 50ft of him. My question is "are there any factory yellow quads that can achieve 1500ft?" I am aware people paint their drones. He said it was as big as my inspire 1 and it wasn't a phantom. I showed him the parrot and he said it wasn't that. He said he didn't even notice the drone until it looked like a hi-lighter marker whizzing by. It would of been too late for corrective action if it was head on. I bet the pilot of the UAS **** themselves!
looks like its time for air plane dash cams... lol
glad nothing bad happened.

Reactions: Tj_
looks like its time for air plane dash cams... lol
glad nothing bad happened.

I'm surprised that in this day and age the airlines aren't required to have cockpit cameras. One looking out to see what the pilots see and another to see what the pilots are doing. Of course, the pilots union is opposed to them so...

Brian

I'm surprised that in this day and age the airlines aren't required to have cockpit cameras. One looking out to see what the pilots see and another to see what the pilots are doing. Of course, the pilots union is opposed to them so...

Brian
Additional burden and serves no practical purpose..

Additional burden and serves no practical purpose..

Yeah, heavy burden there -- oh wait, I have that in my car already. No, the reason it isn't already in the cabin is the pilots union won't permit it. Far better for the pilots to "say" they saw a drone than for the video to prove otherwise.

Having an additional method for discovering the cause of a crash or incident isn't a bad thing and if the costs are modest, and I see no reason they would not be, then they should be there. In fact, probably good to have on more looking into the passenger cabin as well. That camera could be displayed to the pilots to help keep them in touch with the activities in the passenger cabin.

Incorporate the recorder into the cockpit voice recorder and use the same overwrite method used by dashcams with a minimum loop time of 30ish hours. Yeah, that would be a new version CVR but then they update them from time to time as they do the FDR. It would take some time to roll out to the entire fleet -- give them 5 years...

Brian

Yeah, heavy burden there -- oh wait, I have that in my car already. No, the reason it isn't already in the cabin is the pilots union won't permit it. Far better for the pilots to "say" they saw a drone than for the video to prove otherwise.

Having an additional method for discovering the cause of a crash or incident isn't a bad thing and if the costs are modest, and I see no reason they would not be, then they should be there. In fact, probably good to have on more looking into the passenger cabin as well. That camera could be displayed to the pilots to help keep them in touch with the activities in the passenger cabin.

Incorporate the recorder into the cockpit voice recorder and use the same overwrite method used by dashcams with a minimum loop time of 30ish hours. Yeah, that would be a new version CVR but then they update them from time to time as they do the FDR. It would take some time to roll out to the entire fleet -- give them 5 years...

Brian

normal piblic transport buses have dashcams and passenger cams throughout the bus. when the driver stops the cam switches to passenger cams and as soon he starts rolling it switches to dashcam mode...

oh yeah, i forgot to mention that i am talking about hungary regarding the busses.

it really is easier to say and have no proof whatsoever and i am starting to believe that this is (partly) a controlled panic hype to reduce the use of UAV's in certain countries maybe... everything is controlled and some day maybe also the qubic meters or inch or air we are allowed to breath... - i am exaturating now - but when one looks into it and compares to maybe 15 years before now we are treated like sheep and pushed around.

Last edited:
No, the reason it isn't already in the cabin is the pilots union won't permit it.

Yes, that is true. But again what good is a camera in the cockpit going to do?

Far better for the pilots to "say" they saw a drone than for the video to prove otherwise.

Nothing against cameras pointing outwards like a car dash cam.

In fact, probably good to have on more looking into the passenger cabin as well.

There are already cameras in the passenger cabin for hijack situations only but it's not a legal requirement in every country or for every airline.

No practical purpose?

You have absolute trust in the pilots everytime you step into an airplane, (or operator) just as much as a bus, taxi, or even when you go under the knife. Do you expect to have every one under a camera and voice recorder for everything you do to keep you safe? If so, then would you also be willing to have a personal DVR on you watching your every move? It goes both ways. Yes, no practical purpose because you can't do anything about it even when you see them doing something wrong.

Just sharing what I know and my view of this for purpose of discussion. Hope I don't pinch anyone's nerves so we can all share meaningful discussion on this topic (sorry Ed. going off topic of the OP but still somewhat related)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
codymorgan