Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

About slave controllers and signal strength

Reaction score
Website
www.hughgilbert.com
Hello, I have done some trawling but not really finding the advice, or information that leads to a good understanding about how two handed operation works with the inspire.

I work as photographer with a colleague who is pilot. We have our controllers set up as master and slave (not sure I like being slave) and whilst working, the master controller seems, with very few exceptions, to maintain a reasonable controlling connection with the drone.

The slave on the other hand has an intermittent connection as often as not with the image. When flying at height making a panorama or a slow video shot, there is nothing as frustrating as green bands or grey dominating the screen and loss of control. This frustration is compounded when you add the battery time that might be lost to go and revisit the aerial location.

It seems that the slave control works from the master (?). If so are the aerials on the slave controller being used at all? Or, more to the point, could someone please tell me just how the connection works. I always thought that the slave communicated with the drone, until I read that the two controllers should be within fifty feet of one another.

I had thought that to boost the video down signal, there would need to be an upgrade to the airside of the drone, but if its picking up its signal from the master controller that might not be the case.

A problem we often have is when flying in London, there is a lot of spurious radio interference (some of it apparently to stop people from hacking wifi in financial buildings), which gets in the way, especially of the video signal. To have a good video signal at 100 metres would be a good thing... I am not interested in the claims of three and four mile capability.

Last week we were filming at a stately home, mostly fine, but at around 100 metres away, the video from time to time went intermittent.

Is there a clear description of how the communication system works in the Inspire?

If any one has the patience to explain, or can direct me to where this information is clearly laid out and can be understood by someone who is not an electrical engineer I would be most grateful....

With best wishes to all

If I've put this post in the wrong place, Ed please adjust accordingly.

Hugh

212747ldqcc25cjcdc6qdo.png
This is how DJI describes the communications link when using Dual Controllers.

Reactions: Hugh4G
Ah Ha... Thank you for that...Now, to improve the video downlink signal... I think that is what is needed.

Thank you @DoubleHorn
The problem with your slave video is not through the downlink (or lack of it).
The problem is a design feature that has been there since day one.
It stems from the printed circuit board nodes which make up the antennas for the 2.4ghz link being in too close proximity to the 5.8ghz nodes on the same antenna stem.

It is a hardware limitation and one DJI has never acknowledged or addressed.

Reactions: niki
I've honestly given up on even trying Dual Control...

Now I fly by hand at a site once. Then I program the waypoints and camera triggers in the Autopilot app and then just sit back and watch her fly. If I see something I don't like, I'll go back and adjust the trigger/waypoint in the app.

Best solution I've found.

Thank you both...@doublehorn and @The Editor

I was going to ask if one could cable connect the two controllers together...?

But I agree about Autopilot... but it is a lump to learn.... I've been setting up a whole batch of panorama set ups for partial and whole panos with different lenses...

I second @Kilrah

Took me a while to figure it out (and a lot of my camera op saying "how can you see it and I can't?!?!) before we figured out to give the camera op the HDMI out from my controller (amazon do a great 50 metre cdmi cable!) ;0)

The problem with your slave video is not through the downlink (or lack of it).
The problem is a design feature that has been there since day one.
It stems from the printed circuit board nodes which make up the antennas for the 2.4ghz link being in too close proximity to the 5.8ghz nodes on the same antenna stem.

It is a hardware limitation and one DJI has never acknowledged or addressed.

In all those antenna mods guys are replacing only the 2.4ghz antenna. Can I get better dual remote communication by replacing the 5.8ghz antenna on the master controller? Have some one done this already?

So far we are monitoring the video using hdmi cable from the master controller but this is not an option for some locations where the pilot have to be at some distance from the crew to keep LOS of the aircraft, also sometimes the dual link doesn't work smooth even when we are 5 meters away from each other.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GroverBaez