Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Advice on intelligent mode spotlight pro

Reaction score
Hi guys when I use spotlight pro mode the camera moves either left or right and when I deactivate spotlight mode, it stays fixed in that position, how can I get it back to the starting point?

and where I can see a good video where he explains how this function works
and difference with activetrack?

thank you and good day

Basically SpotlightPro moves the camera not the drone, the pilot has to move the drone. Active track doesn't move the camera but does move the drone to follow the target object (i.e. flies after it), generally at a fixed distance.

To reset the camera, look for the gimbal mode icon the left of the dpi go screen, tap it and it will pop out to give you several options - one of those is a reset icon. You can also choose to assign a gimbal yaw reset to one of the c1 or c2 buttons on the RC unit. I usually fly with one button set to toggle the gimbal mode between free and follow, the other to reset the gimbal yaw.

As to a video explaining how it works... I don't there has ever been one. While they provide videos for the consumer drones, seems DJI expect us to just "know" how these things work on a pro drone. :rolleyes:

thank you so much for everything nicku! :)
I used activetrack also to move drone :confused:

I'm looking for videos on youtube

good day

Last edited:
Basically SpotlightPro moves the camera not the drone, the pilot has to move the drone. Active track doesn't move the camera but does move the drone to follow the target object (i.e. flies after it), generally at a fixed distance.

To reset the camera, look for the gimbal mode icon the left of the dpi go screen, tap it and it will pop out to give you several options - one of those is a reset icon. You can also choose to assign a gimbal yaw reset to one of the c1 or c2 buttons on the RC unit. I usually fly with one button set to toggle the gimbal mode between free and follow, the other to reset the gimbal yaw.

As to a video explaining how it works... I don't there has ever been one. While they provide videos for the consumer drones, seems DJI expect us to just "know" how these things work on a pro drone. :rolleyes:

please excuse my ignorance but what are you guys talking about?
which app is it, what you were asking the feature about?
i got lost.

@Phatzo, the Inspire 2 has a number of 'intelligent' flight modes, some of which it shares with other DJI drones. These modes are selected from within the DJI Go / Go 4 app.

Activetrack is a mode which allows the aircraft to autonomously follow a targeted object - could be a person or vehicle. On some aircraft it can be used to track either from the side or from behind, normally at a preset distance & altitude. Tracking is done visually (via shape and colour/pattern recognition) and if it can't recognise the object, tracking is stopped until it can find the object again.

SpotlightPro is a separate mode introduced with the inspire 2. It allows the pilot (or camera operator) to select a target for the main camera to lock onto. As the aircraft changes position and altitude, the camera attempts to track and keep the selected target in camera shot. It can do this even when the target object is obscured behind another object. Tracking seems to use mainly geometrical calculation of the aircraft movement, along with a bit of visual recognition. This mode basically goes some way to allowing pilot+camera-op missions using a single operator. SpotlightPro has two modes, one which you just draw an outline around an point/object and the camera tracks it, the other where you 'predraw' a box on screen and then activate manually when the target enters the box. The aircraft can also hold it's nose position under pilot control (free) or be made to turn with the camera (follow mode). It's possible to carry out a rudimentary 'orbit' by setting a target, then flying the aircraft sideways with the SpotlightPro mode set to "Follow" (it's not as good as POI mode).

The main difference between Activetrack and Spotlight is that Activetrack will make the aircraft fly after/follow the object being tracked if it moves (e.g. walks or drives away). Spotlight pro only moves the camera gimbal, not the aircraft, so it won't fly the aircraft after the target if it moves away.

But, it is possible to select SpotlightPro and Activetrack to use them together. I've not tried it out - I find it a big enough headache getting Activetrack to behave itself without adding SpotlightPro to the party and vice-versa!

HTH

Last edited:
I forgot Active Track and SpotlightPro can work together. Gonna have to go play around with that one.

Yeah I didn't realise that either - thanks a lot. Have you guys had much joy using spotlight pro with smaller, fast moving things (dogs)? Any tips to keeping it locked for longer or am I flogging a dead horse, so to speak?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jenuk