Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Advice on what to get.

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've recently qualified for my PfCO and although I'm a full time wedding photographer and videographer I'm looking to use a drone for more commercial work outside the wedding industry. I'm looking towards an Inspire 2 with X5S camera, but I'm wondering what I should be doing regarding the formats I'm recording footage in? Is ProRes now needed? I'm happy to invest in the ProRes licence fee and SSD's if it's something that's going to be needed. I just need to know where to spend my cash to get the best investment to get me 'up and running'. In addition, I'm based in the UK, who would you recommend? Having purchased the majority of my photography kit using grey imports (and never having a problem) is that something I should avoid this time around? Thanks in advance for your help.

What are you looking to shoot? If you plan on shooting for the film and TV industry you need a X7 and the RAW and ProRes License. If you are going to shoot real estate you dont need ProRes (but it would be nice) If you are shooting for corporates they will probally lean towards wanting the X7 and ProRes.

The "Need" is totally dependant on your clients need and delivery requirements

Thank you. At the moment, probably just leaning towards corporate at least in the short term until I've got a real grounding in place!

I shoot corporate & non mainstream TV (subscription web TV content and low budget TV productions for Quest, Channel 5, etc.) and whilst I do have ProRes & several SSDs, non of my clients have wanted anything more than MP4. I have offered ProRes to several clients but when they find out the file sizes it produces they have all declined to use it.

This fact has come as a surprise to me and left me wishing I hadn’t invested over £2,500 in licenses & SSDs.

Thank you. At the moment, probably just leaning towards corporate at least in the short term until I've got a real grounding in place!

Corporate will be perfectly happy with an X5s doing MP4.
9/10 times it gets scaled down to 1080 anyway.

As mentioned above, even broadcast are happy with X5s and mp4. Until you get to high end drama and film, using an X5s on compressed MP4 will be absolutely fine.

Reactions: martinh32

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry