Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Advises on shooting on a dam

Reaction score
Hi!!

I'm planning to shoot a really beautiful dam here in my country near where I live (150km) and my plan was doing this tomorrow, but I will refrain to do it and wait for advises, don't want to rush in the matter and I'm a kind of scared, since I plan to get a shot from the bottom (10 meters from the water) to the top (the height is 112m) among other shots.
Rapel_Dam_2009.jpg

Any experience in something like this?
Especific or general advises? :)

Thanks!!

Hi!!

I'm planning to shoot a really beautiful dam here in my country near where I live (150km) and my plan was doing this tomorrow, but I will refrain to do it and wait for advises, don't want to rush in the matter and I'm a kind of scared, since I plan to get a shot from the bottom (10 meters from the water) to the top (the height is 112m) among other shots.
Rapel_Dam_2009.jpg

Thanks!!
Hey Hercules. ..
I recommend NOT doing a compass calibration on site..
make sure your i1 is dialed in before arriving at the location..
I'm assuming those units at the bottom of the dam are generators. . If so just keep in mind that they might produce some magnetic interference ..
keep in mind that there probably will be wind drafts around the dam so give yourself a margin of error and expect some drifting even in gps mode..
fly in gps mode unless you're an expert, but be ready to switch to atti mode if you experience any weird behavior. .
Have fun and fly safely. .
turb. ..

Hey Hercules. ..
I recommend NOT doing a compass calibration on site..
make sure your i1 is dialed in before arriving at the location..
I'm assuming those units at the bottom of the dam are generators. . If so just keep in mind that they might produce some magnetic interference ..
keep in mind that there probably will be wind drafts around the dam so give yourself a margin of error and expect some drifting even in gps mode..
fly in gps mode unless you're an expert, but be ready to switch to atti mode if you experience any weird behavior. .
Have fun and fly safely. .
turb. ..
that's some quality advises there, thanks turbo!!
I'm kind of chickening on doing the bottom to top shot hahah, maybe half way to top is more suitable, and like you say, with a good margin to the concrete.
And yes, those are the generators.

Reactions: turbodronepilot
You should be ok flying near the jenny's and the power lines..just make sure you are in los of your i1..
also before you start filming for your job I suggest just flying around where you are planning to film so you can practice and concentrate on how your i1 reacts to the inviroment. .
I hope you record your screen every flight in case of any issues. .
have fun !!!!

You should be ok flying near the jenny's and the power lines..just make sure you are in los of your i1..
also before you start filming for your job I suggest just flying around where you are planning to film so you can practice and concentrate on how your i1 reacts to the inviroment. .
I hope you record your screen every flight in case of any issues. .
have fun !!!!
Actually is not a job per se, is because I want that material :) But I guess is still a job.
I will apply your suggestions.
Can you point me out how do I record my screen?
Thanks!

It's going to be a rush man!!
the shou app works for ios and android. .
there's info on the shou app ..just do a search. .
I use a nvidia shield with a built in screen recording device.
I like Mobizen app but it can be a pain to install initially, but is great once installed. .
also get a gps tracker like a rf-v16 or a trackimo incase of a flyaway. ..
turb. ..

Reactions: Hercules_One
Hi!!

Rapel_Dam_2009.jpg

Thanks!!
Be VERY careful filming around dams
You should be mindful of Anabatic/Katabatic winds - They can be VERY powerful.

First of all ask permission.It's not always permitted to fly by dams
What I do is make an "editing plan".What I mean is think in lines,1 shoot upwards,1 shoot left,right etc.Start for example at the bottom and start filming.Go up 'till the top and stop fliming.Turn to the right and start filming again and go to the left.Go on untill you got all the shots you want.By this way when you load the stuff on your pc you're almost halfway.Other thing is you can take a short pause when you have done your shot.Keep it simple if you are intimidated by the dam.
Good luck and be carefull because there might be people who don't want you to fly there.

First of all ask permission.It's not always permitted to fly by dams

I agree, get permission, maybe even make a new friend that works there, in case something goes wrong. This maybe one of those rare cases where it's easier to get permission than forgiveness. Have a spotter or 2 or 7. To reinforce the editor's point, you may have no idea what kind of winds you are going to see until you get there, maybe a test flight is a good idea?

Get permission it might be a long procesos I think but i'll consider... The test flight is a good idea, I will program this with time, dont want to rush considering my not so long experience and because is a quad (an hexa or octo is safer to fly un case of emergency I.e. losing a prop or a dead motor)
Also the dangerous winds...

Thank you!!

Herc - I own an Inspire, but also work for a Water utility. We manage several large scale dams and reservoirs. Just don't do it - no idea how close you intend to operate, but these are essential infrastructure and subject to many access restrictions.

If you lose control and crash, there's the potential to damage equipment that will cause widespread disruption and costs in the millions. Not saying it will happen, just saying that it could.

I'm an Asset Manager and have seen some crazy damage caused by small, seemingly harmless foreign objects. Recreational UAV has no place being in proximity to essential civil infrastructure!

Herc - I own an Inspire, but also work for a Water utility. We manage several large scale dams and reservoirs. Just don't do it - no idea how close you intend to operate, but these are essential infrastructure and subject to many access restrictions.

If you lose control and crash, there's the potential to damage equipment that will cause widespread disruption and costs in the millions. Not saying it will happen, just saying that it could.

I'm an Asset Manager and have seen some crazy damage caused by small, seemingly harmless foreign objects. Recreational UAV has no place being in proximity to essential civil infrastructure!
I understand, that's why I'm asking first, don't want to loose my inspire neither break restrictions, just like robot1 said this is a rare case...

I might not do this until I get some more experience and ask for permission.
I will go scout the dam first without the drone in a couple weeks, for future reference.

Thanks Farnk!

PS. Any of you made footage of a dam this big?

I understand, that's why I'm asking first, don't want to loose my inspire neither break restrictions, just like robot1 said this is a rare case...

I might not do this until I get some more experience and ask for permission.
I will go scout the dam first without the drone in a couple weeks, for future reference.

Thanks Farnk!

PS. Any of you made footage of a dam this big?
Make friends when you're near that dam.Hope you get at someway permission.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry