Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Aerial Views of Southern California Beaches

Reaction score
We hope everyone has a wonderful Memorial Day! While it may be gloomy in Los Angeles, here’s a reminder that even overcast beach days can be beautiful. We finally made the switch to Premier and decided to edit the first purely Phantom Aerial Productions project with our dual operated DJI Inspire1.

I feel very comfortable with fcpx, but you guys are going to make me jump ship to see what all of the hype is about... Wish me luck:D

Reactions: JaySmith1112
I don't see anything special in the footage here that would suggest that Premiere Pro did a better job than FCPX would have done. The final product is very dependent on the user's skill level with the software. Coming from Premiere Pro to FCPX just this year, my preference is for the latter and I was able to pick up most of what I needed to know to create a decent cut in less than 8hrs.

I still use Apple's Imovie and it works just fine, thank you very much. My footage is all 4K too!

Any commercial work I do I give to clients anyway and they edit it. But for making a great Drone demo, iMovie works great!
Going up to near 40 Celsius today with the humidex in Toronto. Little wind, great for flying and making drone demos with iMovie! LOL!

Actually, I disagree somewhat. An edited version of something will always look good. Whether it was done on an Avid , Final Cut, Premiere, or an iMovie system only matters if you specifically look for certain special effects. iMovie has a toned down version of FCPX but it still gets the job done anyway.
It can still look very good for broadcast. Its limitations seem to be the lack of codecs it can read.

Actually, I disagree somewhat. An edited version of something will always look good. Whether it was done on an Avid , Final Cut, Premiere, or an iMovie system only matters if you specifically look for certain special effects. iMovie has a toned down version of FCPX but it still gets the job done anyway.
It can still look very good for broadcast. Its limitations seem to be the lack of codecs it can read.
Can you colour correct and and apply filters rot bring it to broadcast specs? Can you lay title upon titles and layers of graphics? Does it allow you to batch capture or export to codecs needed? The limitations you mention are whats needed to get a commercial to air.
Even FCPX is a toy.
Why do you think it only costs $300? I have been editing tv commercials for 18 years and always used Final cut Pro 7.
No one used Premiere for pro work but last year I made the switch to Prem pro and wish I had done years ago. It handles footage so my better although has a lot of things that are hard to use compared to FCP7. You say you disagree. How many tv commercials have you put to air?

Can you colour correct and and apply filters rot bring it to broadcast specs? Can you lay title upon titles and layers of graphics? Does it allow you to batch capture or export to codecs needed? The limitations you mention are whats needed to get a commercial to air.
Even FCPX is a toy.
Why do you think it only costs $300? I have been editing tv commercials for 18 years and always used Final cut Pro 7.
No one used Premiere for pro work but last year I made the switch to Prem pro and wish I had done years ago. It handles footage so my better although has a lot of things that are hard to use compared to FCP7. You say you disagree. How many tv commercials have you put to air?
As I said, all my work goes to client and they edit it.
You can still do some amazing basic edits with iMovie which can go to air. You don't always need fancy edits for a good edit.
End of thread please!

As I said, all my work goes to client and they edit it.
You can still do some amazing basic edits with iMovie which can go to air. You don't always need fancy edits for a good edit.
End of thread please!

I'm with DennisR on this one. White Airwolf it seems like you simply just don't do enough editing to really understand the difference between the programs. I didn't either until I made the switch. As you have made very clear, "All my work goes to client and they edit it.". I'm willing to bet my bottom dollar that your clients aren't editing in iMovie. If you did more editing, you would understand. iMove and FCPX are basically one in the same, great for the amateur, but when you are looking for professional results, and you actually understand the ins and outs of the programs, you'll be going with AVID or Premier. I work very closely with many different editors here in Hollywood, none of them use iMove or FCPX. MAYBE they might still be working on FCP7, but even that is dyeing off now.

Would you please mind sharing some of your iMovie edits that went to air?

Thank you both for your input on the video. We had a really fun time capturing the media, and editing it as well.

I'm with DennisR on this one. White Airwolf it seems like you simply just don't do enough editing to really understand the difference between the programs. I didn't either until I made the switch. As you have made very clear, "All my work goes to client and they edit it.". I'm willing to bet my bottom dollar that your clients aren't editing in iMovie. If you did more editing, you would understand. iMove and FCPX are basically one in the same, great for the amateur, but when you are looking for professional results, and you actually understand the ins and outs of the programs, you'll be going with AVID or Premier. I work very closely with many different editors here in Hollywood, none of them use iMove or FCPX. MAYBE they might still be working on FCP7, but even that is dyeing off now.

Would you please mind sharing some of your iMovie edits that went to air?

Thank you both for your input on the video. We had a really fun time capturing the media, and editing it as well.
As I have already said, my clients edit the footage and no, I'm sure they are using something professional such as Avid or Premiere.
I just use iMovie strictly for my little demo reels, that's it that's all!

And that's totally fine, but your trying to argue a point that you don't fully understand. If you haven't utilized a program like AVID or Premier, and you have knowledge only in iMovie or FCPX, then you simply just don't understand what your missing, because you don't know. There is nothing wrong with that, and yes, iMovie does some nice simple cuts, but it lacks in MANY different ways to finely polish. It really sounds like your more of a camera man or AC pilot then an editor. Nothing wrong with that at all. Would you be willing to share a few of your reels that you have made on iMovie with us to see? I'll share specific videos we used FCPX for.

We are about to edit a project for a music festival that we shoot for. It's going to be all 4K UHD. Editing style, aircraft, pilot, camera operator, location of shoot, even the camera used will literally all be the same. The only difference will be the editing software. I think it will be a great comparison of the 2 programs. I'll make a thread about this in the correct sub-forum. Should make for an interesting post!

@JaySmith1112 - Why does it seem so important that you continue to point out what the "professionals" are using? Fact of the matter is; most people don't even have 4K Televisions let alone 4K monitors or computer setups that can handle 4K efficiently. If people are producing results that are good enough for YouTube and Vimeo and passing along the unedited footage to the client for commercial production, good for them. For the common folk, iMovie, FCP, etc seems to be enough to get the job done for their needs; agreed? If so - why not just drop the subject? Why don't you take the footage he has, edit it to the same cut that was shown in the original post with a professional video editing program and post the results. You know what the results would be - not much difference other than you saying; I used Premiere Pro or Avid. The difference lies with the experience level you've achieved in said program.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sjoby08