Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Aircraft range - looking for a little help, please!

Reaction score
Happy New Year to everyone!

I've searched the forums and can't seem to find the answer to this one: I have an I1 Pro Black Edition with a Zenmuse X5. I could get 2 miles out of it without any issues - never went any farther because my spotter would lose it. I fly with a spotter on some trips, which is my 12yo daughter with good binoculars.

Recently, changed from the Zenmuse X5 to a relatively new X5R. Now I'm lucky if my range is 500' before loss of video signal. Also, now the drone will not go beyond about 750' before loss of video signal with the original X5.

Any ideas?

Thx.

Kev

Last edited:

I've searched the forums and can't seem to find the answer to this one: I have an I1 Pro Black Edition with a Zenmuse X5S. I could get 2 miles out of it without any issues - never went any farther because my spotter would lose it. I fly with a spotter on some trips, which is my 12yo daughter with good binoculars.

Recently, changed from the Zenmuse X5S to a relatively new X5R. Now I'm lucky if my range is 500' before VLOS. Also, now the drone will not go beyond about 750' before VLOS with the original X5S.

Any ideas?

Thx.

Kev
I believe your understanding of what constitutes VLOS is at odds with the FAA’s requirements that satisfy that definition.

You (and your observer) must be able to see the aircraft at all times without any form of aid (other than glasses/corrective lenses).

From the FAA‘ quote:

“With vision that is unaided by any device other than corrective lenses, the remote pilot in command, the visual observer (if one is used), and the person manipulating the flight control of the small unmanned aircraft system must be able to see the unmanned aircraft throughout the entire flight”

or if operating commercially:

From US FAA AC 107-2 :

"5.7 VLOS Aircraft Operation. The remote PIC and person manipulating the controls must be able to see the small UA at all times during flight. Therefore, the small UA must be operated closely enough to the CS to ensure visibility requirements are met during small UA operations. This requirement also applies to the VO, if used during the aircraft operation. However, the person maintaining VLOS may have brief moments in which he or she is not looking directly at or cannot see the small UA, but still retains the capability to see the UA or quickly maneuver it back to VLOS. These moments can be for the safety of the operation (e.g., looking at the controller to see battery life remaining) or for operational necessity. For operational necessity, the remote PIC or person manipulating the controls may intentionally maneuver the UA so that he or she loses sight of it for brief periods of time. Should the remote PIC or person manipulating the controls lose VLOS of the small UA, he or she must regain VLOS as soon as practicable. For example, a remote PIC stationed on the ground utilizing a small UA to inspect a rooftop may lose sight of the aircraft for brief periods while inspecting the farthest point of the roof. As another example, a remote PIC conducting a search operation around a fire scene with a small UA may briefly lose sight of the aircraft while it is temporarily behind a dense column of smoke. However, it must be emphasized that even though the remote PIC may briefly lose sight of the small UA, he or she always has the see-and-avoid responsibilities set out in part 107, §§ 107.31 and 107.37. The circumstances of what would prevent a remote PIC from fulfilling those responsibilities will vary, depending on factors such as the type of UAS, the operational environment, and distance between the remote PIC and the UA. For this reason, there is no specific time interval that interruption of VLOS is permissible, as it would have the effect of potentially allowing a hazardous interruption or prohibiting a reasonable one. If VLOS cannot be regained, the remote PIC or person manipulating the controls should follow pre-determined procedures for a loss of VLOS. These procedures are determined by the capabilities of the sUAS and may include immediately landing the UA, entering hover mode, or returning to home sequence. Thus, the VLOS requirement would not prohibit actions such as scanning the airspace or briefly looking down at the small UA CS. "

Last edited:
Thanks for that, Mr. Moderator and you are correct with regards to the subject that you are referring to.

Regarding my question, VLOS = Video Loss Of Signal as I'm referring to since we are talking about a change from the X5 to the X5R, not Visual Line Of Sight. Sorry for the miscommunication.;) Safety first!

Cheers!

Kev

Last edited:
Thanks for that, Mr. Moderator and you are correct with regards to the subject that you are referring to.

Regarding my question, VLOS = Video Loss Of Signal as I'm referring to since we are talking about a change from the X5S to the X5R, not Visual Line Of Sight. Sorry for the miscommunication.;) Safety first!

Cheers!

Kev
In that case I have edited your post as VLOS does not mean video loss of signal and is very confusing.
VLOS has always meant Visual Line Of Sight and is an industry accepted acronym/abbreviation. ?

I've searched the forums and can't seem to find the answer to this one: I have an I1 Pro Black Edition with a Zenmuse X5S. I could get 2 miles out of it without any issues - never went any farther because my spotter would lose it. I fly with a spotter on some trips, which is my 12yo daughter with good binoculars.

Recently, changed from the Zenmuse X5S to a relatively new X5R. Now I'm lucky if my range is 500' before loss of video signal. Also, now the drone will not go beyond about 750' before loss of video signal with the original X5S.

Any ideas?

Thx.

Kev
I am also even more confused by your original post since an X5S will not mount/fit onto an Inspire 1 (unless you use a hammer and some nails).

Good morning. To answer the question, I have an I1 Pro v2.0 Black Edition. These come standard with an X5 and the X5R uses the same mounting plate. The X5R has the same number and arrangement of contacts on the gimbal mount as the X5.

To install the X5R, you dismount the X5 and mount the X5R, with the addition of engaging the two additional swivel latches at the rear of the plate that support the SSD assembly. The latches are there on the Pro or the Raw versions, but the X5 doesn't use them.

Allegedly, the Pro and the Raw birds are the same. Allegedly...

I added the link from DJI pertinent to my drone model here -

Once I remount the X5 that was originally installed, I gain about 250' of range, maybe 750' total, and that's iffy at best. I don't regain the drone's original performance.

BTW, my use of the model of the camera is wrong. Just checked and I am wrong, I have an X5 and an X5R. Assume the X5 and X5R for the basis of this post. Apologies.

Thanks.

Kev

Last edited:
Probably spoiled the answer to my question.
Nope. In fact, you received the star for working on an answer! :D

As I'd originally said, I have the Pro version, and indeed the X5 cameras fit. No hammer, nails, or use of excessive force required...

Kev

Nope. In fact, you received the star for working on an answer! :D

As I'd originally said, I have the Pro version, and indeed the X5 cameras fit. No hammer, nails, or use of excessive force required...

Kev
Yes - but you have now edited your original post to correct your erroneous and confusing question by cross referring to the X5S and X5 which are not and never have been interchangable.

Great...

Now, maybe we can focus on what the post actually said... I changed the camera and the operational range of the drone was dramatically reduced. How to fix it?

Kev

Reactions: Jim Weist

I've searched the forums and can't seem to find the answer to this one: I have an I1 Pro Black Edition with a Zenmuse X5. I could get 2 miles out of it without any issues - never went any farther because my spotter would lose it. I fly with a spotter on some trips, which is my 12yo daughter with good binoculars.

Recently, changed from the Zenmuse X5 to a relatively new X5R. Now I'm lucky if my range is 500' before loss of video signal. Also, now the drone will not go beyond about 750' before loss of video signal with the original X5.

Any ideas?

Thx.

Kev

Sounds like you allowed a firmware update. Anything past v1.09.xx will net poor video feed. v1.08.xx is the sweet spot. I well documented this in a video.

What are your firmware versions?

D

Hi, Donnie,

Everything was great until I attached the X5R. When I started up the system, the aircraft had locked me out of flight mode with an angry red "FIRMWARE UPDATE REQUIRED" warning and it would not fly until I updated the firmware. See screenshot below please for current system status.

Screenshot_2013-01-30-15-49-46.png

System details:
  • I1 Pro Black v2.0
  • X5R camera
  • Single controller mode, other controller in the case and not set up
  • Crystal Sky display.
Your video was very helpful, I'll see if I can walk the firmware back.

Thanks!

Kev

Reactions: InspireEagle
Hi, Donnie,

Everything was great until I attached the X5R. When I started up the system, the aircraft had locked me out of flight mode with an angry red "FIRMWARE UPDATE REQUIRED" warning and it would not fly until I updated the firmware. See screenshot below please for current system status.

View attachment 27692

Ugh...there it is...the dreaded v1.11.xx update. This explains everything.

System details:
  • I1 Pro Black v2.0
  • X5R camera
  • Single controller mode, other controller in the case and not set up
  • Crystal Sky display.

I appreciate the system details, but that information is superfluous.

Your video was very helpful, I'll see if I can walk the firmware back.

I appreciate that, but I've had zero luck walking back from v1.11.xx. It's been my experience that once you cross over the v1.10.xx threshold, you've reached the point of no return. I wish I could be of more help, but without an Inspire 1 with FW v1.11.xx, I have nothing to experiment with.

Good luck.

D

Reactions: oldcomputech
OK... I have the drone rolled back to v1.08.00.01, and the CS DJI GO rolled back to 3.1.2. Does anyone have the RC firmware v1.06 that they would be willing to send to me?

Thanks.

Kev

OK... so I'm a little apprehensive of what has occured now.

I followed the instructions on downgrading the RC to 1.6.0. I am using a CrystalSky monitor, but everything else went per the video. I don't get the little box, I get the chapter marks to open the Academy.

However, after the downgrade, the RC showed 1.5.8 as being the new version. I reset it and tried it several times, and the same result happened. Also, the Phantom 3 Pro was the highest level of drone that could be selected in DJI Go. And the RC status LED was a funky aqua color. Would not bind to the aircraft.

So I figured that I would update the firmware - current version is 1.9.3. However, after about 30 secs into the upgrade, the controller did its little startup beep and the status LED changed to red, meaning not linked or no aircraft found. I shut it down and then restarted it, and the FW in the controller shows 1.6.0+. ?

Screenshot_2020-01-04-06-37-26.jpg

I did this three different times, taking it to the reset of 1.6.0, ending up with 1.5.8, and then updating until the beep and the status LED change, cycling the RC power, and it's consistently 1.6.0+. The aircraft links without any issues and a short test flight didn't reveal any negative issues. However, I'm a little uneasy about it. Thoughts?

And then there's the CS monitor with its built-in apps. Even though I've done a factory data reset, the GO app will not roll back. I have the APK file for 3.1.2 but have no idea how to get it off of the SD and installed on the CS unit.

And... I now have DJI Pilot. Of course, I don't have all of the features available, but it flies and images OK.

No flight has been more than 250' away from me. I'm having trouble trusting it with the 1.6.0+. Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks for all of the help, Donnie!

Kev

OK... so I'm a little apprehensive of what has occured now.

I followed the instructions on downgrading the RC to 1.6.0. I am using a CrystalSky monitor, but everything else went per the video. I don't get the little box, I get the chapter marks to open the Academy.

This may be due to the Crystal Sky monitor. All my instruction assumes the user is using an iPad.

However, after the downgrade, the RC showed 1.5.8 as being the new version. I reset it and tried it several times, and the same result happened. Also, the Phantom 3 Pro was the highest level of drone that could be selected in DJI Go. And the RC status LED was a funky aqua color. Would not bind to the aircraft.

Interesting. Usually the aqua color indicates the RC is connected as a slave controller.

So I figured that I would update the firmware - current version is 1.9.3. However, after about 30 secs into the upgrade, the controller did its little startup beep and the status LED changed to red, meaning not linked or no aircraft found. I shut it down and then restarted it, and the FW in the controller shows 1.6.0+. ?

View attachment 27742

I did this three different times, taking it to the reset of 1.6.0, ending up with 1.5.8, and then updating until the beep and the status LED change, cycling the RC power, and it's consistently 1.6.0+. The aircraft links without any issues and a short test flight didn't reveal any negative issues. However, I'm a little uneasy about it. Thoughts?

You are in the sweet spot - Inspire 1 Nirvana. DO NOT UPDATE ANYTHING EVER AGAIN. Fly your bird with those firmware versions for the remainder of the life of the bird.

And then there's the CS monitor with its built-in apps. Even though I've done a factory data reset, the GO app will not roll back.

I can't help you there. I know nothing about the Crystal Sky monitor. In the Apple environment, v3.1.1 is the sweet spot.

I have the APK file for 3.1.2 but have no idea how to get it off of the SD and installed on the CS unit.

Neither do I. 3.1.2 is pretty close to v3.1.1. But because they are different platforms, all bets are off....<:^/

And... I now have DJI Pilot. Of course, I don't have all of the features available, but it flies and images OK.

I am unfamiliar with DJI pilot. The only automated flying I do is with Autopilot v4.7 and v4.4 (in my older iPad).

No flight has been more than 250' away from me. I'm having trouble trusting it with the 1.6.0+. Anyone else have this issue?

Absolutely not. I have been flying on RC v1.6.0 for years and AC FW v1.08.xx for years. This combination is rock solid.

Thanks for all of the help, Donnie!

Kev

You are welcome.

D

Reactions: kattz
Thanks, Donnie! If I find a solution to the CS rollback I'll let you know. You never know when you might get one!

Kev

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurskmvah