Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

USA Airspace question

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have a just a brief question. For a commercial drone flight, I know you need authorization from the airport. Awhile back, you just had to call the tower. Now, you have to request the waiver. So for a class E5 airport, you wouldnt have to request a waiver because the lower limit is 700 feet. ( I am using this website BTW: https://faa.maps.arcgis.com ).

Now, for a class E2, you would have to request a waiver correct because it is from the surface up and that follows with Class D.

So if you want to fly in multiple different airspace's, can you do that on one waiver? Like for my area, there are I think 3 airports that are restricting me.

Hello everyone,

I have a just a brief question. For a commercial drone flight, I know you need authorization from the airport. Awhile back, you just had to call the tower. Now, you have to request the waiver. So for a class E5 airport, you wouldnt have to request a waiver because the lower limit is 700 feet. ( I am using this website BTW: https://faa.maps.arcgis.com ).

Now, for a class E2, you would have to request a waiver correct because it is from the surface up and that follows with Class D.

So if you want to fly in multiple different airspace's, can you do that on one waiver? Like for my area, there are I think 3 airports that are restricting me.
Moved to correct section and added USA Prefix.

Hello everyone,

How close together are the 3 airports you are talking about? Can you share an image of the aeronautical chart?

There’s a difference between an authorization and a waver.
Ck the FAA site or ck out the explanation on utube.
Even after getting a 107... nothing easy . Just have to
work the system.
Last authorization I received had a question about the approval.
Actually got a call from the “FAA” office. Turns out
the woman was a contract player for the FAA. Probably retired.
She was understanding and very helpful.
Good luck!

So, I know this may not be the correct place to ask this, but I am needing to fly in an area for a project. Every map on line has different boundaries for airspace. Looking at "knowbeforeyoufly.org" and have the following message for the airspace:
"Controlled Airspace
KLAMATH FALLS CLASS D requires FAA authorization, permissible at or below 100 ft"

Does this mean that at or below 100 feet, I do not need a waiver or authorization?

So, I know this may not be the correct place to ask this, but I am needing to fly in an area for a project. Every map on line has different boundaries for airspace. Looking at "knowbeforeyoufly.org" and have the following message for the airspace:
"Controlled Airspace
KLAMATH FALLS CLASS D requires FAA authorization, permissible at or below 100 ft"

Does this mean that at or below 100 feet, I do not need a waiver or authorization?

It means they grant authorizations for flights in the class D below 100'.

I'm going to jump on this bandwagon and ask my own confusing airspace question. I'm being asked to fly in Quincy, MA (the little black dot in one of the '300' boxes). According to the FAA's UAS Data Map, flight is restricted to 300 feet which suggests authorization is required (as does the perimeter on the map). But Boston Logan is more than 5NM away. The next closest airport in Norwood is even further. So why is authorization required? I understand Class B extends beyond 5NM but as far as UAS operations are concerned, anything outside of 5NM should be free from requiring authorizations, right? My Airmap app also warns me that it's restricted Class B airspace requiring authorization.

Attachments

• FAA_QuincyMap.jpg
    FAA_QuincyMap.jpg
    970.1 KB · Views: 21
I'm going to jump on this bandwagon and ask my own confusing airspace question. I'm being asked to fly in Quincy, MA (the little black dot in one of the '300' boxes). According to the FAA's UAS Data Map, flight is restricted to 300 feet which suggests authorization is required (as does the perimeter on the map). But Boston Logan is more than 5NM away. The next closest airport in Norwood is even further. So why is authorization required? I understand Class B extends beyond 5NM but as far as UAS operations are concerned, anything outside of 5NM should be free from requiring authorizations, right? My Airmap app also warns me that it's restricted Class B airspace requiring authorization.[/QUOTE
Looks like you are in Class E airspacr

I'm going to jump on this bandwagon and ask my own confusing airspace question. I'm being asked to fly in Quincy, MA (the little black dot in one of the '300' boxes). According to the FAA's UAS Data Map, flight is restricted to 300 feet which suggests authorization is required (as does the perimeter on the map). But Boston Logan is more than 5NM away. The next closest airport in Norwood is even further. So why is authorization required? I understand Class B extends beyond 5NM but as far as UAS operations are concerned, anything outside of 5NM should be free from requiring authorizations, right? My Airmap app also warns me that it's restricted Class B airspace requiring authorization.

Looks Like you are in Class E airspace.

Class E? Where are you seeing that? The FAA UAS map shows me within a perimeter surrounding KBOS and Airmap only specifies warnings for KBOS Class B airspace. I'm looking at a sectional chart but I still don't see Class E. But I don't understand why I'm getting warnings for Class B requiring authorization if I'm more than 5NM out.

Class E? Where are you seeing that? The FAA UAS map shows me within a perimeter surrounding KBOS and Airmap only specifies warnings for KBOS Class B airspace. I'm looking at a sectional chart but I still don't see Class E. But I don't understand why I'm getting warnings for Class B requiring authorization if I'm more than 5NM out.

Was looking at the wrong sectional, oops.

But B is not fixed at 5sm.

Class B Airspace:
Class B airspace surrounds the nation's busiest airports and usually goes as high as 10,000 feet MSL, in some cases even higher. The uppermost level of Class B airspace may extend horizontally with radius of up to a 15 nautical miles around the airport tower. There is, however, no universal set of Class B dimensions since the flow of traffic, geography and other considerations determine the exact architecture of each Class B area. A sectional or a VFR Terminal Area Chart is very helpful in understanding the design and lateral dimensions of each Class B airspace.

"Controlled Airspace

No, it means that in the future (unless that airport is a LAANC participant now) authorizations up to 100 ft will be automatically granted via an app. You cannot fly commercially in a class Delta airspace w/o authorization.

\
It would help if folks used sectional charts to reference questions. The FAM maps are useless for these types of questions. These maps were intended to give UAS operators a heads up on what they can expect when the LAANC system is up and running . Until then it is easier to answer questions if OPs clips a shot of the segment of sectionals they are asking about. Part 107 pilots should learn their local sectional like the back of their hands.FAM maps were never intended to plan your flights, thus you never saw them referred to in your 107 exam.

To your question, Skybandit, Class Bravo airspace is not a standard length or width. It is designed to accomodate approaches and departures at busy airports and around the runway alignments. As an example, I attached Phoenix Class Bravo airspace below. I have a commercial job today and got lucky, PHX is a participating LAANC airport. Jumped in Skyward and got my flight (on the edge of the class B airspace which begins, in this case, at the surface) instantly approved. Once LAANC is fully operational you'll love it.
Until then, we all must suffer at the FAA portal hell. Hope I helped with your question.
upload_2017-12-26_8-36-31.png
upload_2017-12-26_8-36-31.png

Reactions: The Editor
\
It would help if folks used sectional charts to reference questions. The FAM maps are useless for these types of questions. These maps were intended to give UAS operators a heads up on what they can expect when the LAANC system is up and running . Until then it is easier to answer questions if OPs clips a shot of the segment of sectionals they are asking about. Part 107 pilots should learn their local sectional like the back of their hands.FAM maps were never intended to plan your flights, thus you never saw them referred to in your 107 exam.

To your question, Skybandit, Class Bravo airspace is not a standard length or width. It is designed to accomodate approaches and departures at busy airports and around the runway alignments. As an example, I attached Phoenix Class Bravo airspace below. I have a commercial job today and got lucky, PHX is a participating LAANC airport. Jumped in Skyward and got my flight (on the edge of the class B airspace which begins, in this case, at the surface) instantly approved. Once LAANC is fully operational you'll love it.
Until then, we all must suffer at the FAA portal hell. Hope I helped with your question.
View attachment 17561
View attachment 17561

Any ideas when more airports will be added? And if there is a list of potential Airports? I am assuming that if the tiled maps are available, where they mention the max height authorized, then those will be in the LAANC eventually?

Skybandit, your black dot is in Class B controlled airspace. You need to get an authorization. Flights below the 300' limit you see on the map can be granted / issued by the level1 request processors.

The good news: I have BOS class B authorizations on the North side and as long as you fit in the grid there does not need to be much interaction with Logan to approve.

The bad news - They are running ~60 days if you are lucky up here on the NE coast.

What was also mentioned is true regarding Class Bravo. Each Bravo airspace is fairly custom to the approach and runways, so there is no 5 mile rule. It's the airspace defined on the sectionals that rule.

Good luck.

QUOTE="skybandit, post: 170694, member: 36065"]I'm going to jump on this bandwagon and ask my own confusing airspace question. I'm being asked to fly in Quincy, MA (the little black dot in one of the '300' boxes). According to the FAA's UAS Data Map, flight is restricted to 300 feet which suggests authorization is required (as does the perimeter on the map). But Boston Logan is more than 5NM away. The next closest airport in Norwood is even further. So why is authorization required? I understand Class B extends beyond 5NM but as far as UAS operations are concerned, anything outside of 5NM should be free from requiring authorizations, right? My Airmap app also warns me that it's restricted Class B airspace requiring authorization.[/QUOTE]

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lgstirling