Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Altitude limit on all drones?

Reaction score
Do all drones have a 500 m altitude limit on them? It seems like it is a pretty common practice. Is there any out there at can fly above without a limit? It looks liked the phantom 2 did/has not limit? Is that true/still true?

Yep thanks already done that... And that is why I asked the question I did... Because it seems to be a common thing on drones out right now, but I also found that back in the day phantom 2 had no height restriction...

Do all drones have a 500 m altitude limit on them? It seems like it is a pretty common practice. Is there any out there at can fly above without a limit? It looks liked the phantom 2 did/has not limit? Is that true/still true?
assuming you are in the US of A, the final version of FAA rule will eventually come out and an altitude restriction will be a requirement for any drones you can buy off the shelf. The draft rule set a limit of 500 feet. any drones that currently have no limit will eventually have a limit, unless you do not update firmware.

Reactions: davlucmac
Unless you build your own with a Naza-M FC. No limits/no Apps/no NFZ. I recon DJI will discontinue that platform soon.

Reactions: jon b
assuming you are in the US of A, the final version of FAA rule will eventually come out and an altitude restriction will be a requirement for any drones you can buy off the shelf. The draft rule set a limit of 500 feet. any drones that currently have no limit will eventually have a limit, unless you do not update firmware.

Thanks that's about what I was noticing and figured what was going on with the limit. just wanted to see if I was missing anything and verify my findings!

Thanks that's about what I was noticing and figured what was going on with the limit. just wanted to see if I was missing anything and verify my findings!

You verified nothing, with Jayburd simply talking out of his arse.
Anyone can type words on an internet forum, facts would be nice, Jayburd supplied zero of them. (not trying to poop on you Jayburd, but what you say is poppycock) :)

You verified nothing, with Jayburd simply talking out of his arse.
Anyone can type words on an internet forum, facts would be nice, Jayburd supplied zero of them. (not trying to poop on you Jayburd, but what you say is poppycock) :)
Agreed. Any limits are imposed voluntarily by rtf of the shelf consumer targeting uav companies like dji and 3dr type. Custom built or professional grade rigs will not have these limits on them ever.

Agreed. Any limits are imposed voluntarily by rtf of the shelf consumer targeting uav companies like dji and 3dr type. Custom built or professional grade rigs will not have these limits on them ever.

My opinion hardly matters, but I doubt this is correct. It's just as easy to require sale of separate flight controllers to have NFZ implemented as it is to limit those within RTF models. Furthermore a future A2 update removing the check box allowing users to opt out of NFZs or set their own range/alt limits is simple.

And I don't blame those of you who are frustrated and want to hold off on your updates. But again, remember that DJI can fix this by any number of simple updates to the App that cripple it if criteria are not met. Dodging DJI GO/VISION/GS by using another app might not get you much further - all these apps use the DJI API where limits can be enforced as well.

I do agree that DJI may be willing to sell (at great cost) controllers that are authorized for people who achieve whatever authorizations are required to operate within NFZs. Fond of gun control laws? This would be similar to silencer or regulated firearms sales today. But there's logic here. People willing to risk the $$ and time are probably not just screwing around, and there's much more education involved in going through the process.

And it gets better... I'm currently working on a project demonstrating low cost, sUAS-approrpiate transponders w/ ADSB out capability for a corporate consortium. At volume, they would add little cost to consumer drones like the Phantom or Solo. A lot of folks see the writing on the wall...

If we all spent as much time working toward a solution to airspace integration as we do kicking against the proverbial goads, we'd be vaulting our country's UAS industry forward while developing a vast market for us to play and profit within.

I understand all the frustration, but given that we're positive these changes are coming, what's with all the animosity towards one another? Why don't we as a forum come up with some workable solutions as suggestions for the FAA, DOT and the makers of the regulations? ...or is our community goal to end up as disenchanted early adopters gone rogue?

If you didn't your Inspire update from the beginning you would not have any limites at all.

My opinion hardly matters, but I doubt this is correct. It's just as easy to require sale of separate flight controllers to have NFZ implemented as it is to limit those within RTF models. Furthermore a future A2 update removing the check box allowing users to opt out of NFZs or set their own range/alt limits is simple.

And I don't blame those of you who are frustrated and want to hold off on your updates. But again, remember that DJI can fix this by any number of simple updates to the App that cripple it if criteria are not met. Dodging DJI GO/VISION/GS by using another app might not get you much further - all these apps use the DJI API where limits can be enforced as well.

I do agree that DJI may be willing to sell (at great cost) controllers that are authorized for people who achieve whatever authorizations are required to operate within NFZs. Fond of gun control laws? This would be similar to silencer or regulated firearms sales today. But there's logic here. People willing to risk the $$ and time are probably not just screwing around, and there's much more education involved in going through the process.

And it gets better... I'm currently working on a project demonstrating low cost, sUAS-approrpiate transponders w/ ADSB out capability for a corporate consortium. At volume, they would add little cost to consumer drones like the Phantom or Solo. A lot of folks see the writing on the wall...

If we all spent as much time working toward a solution to airspace integration as we do kicking against the proverbial goads, we'd be vaulting our country's UAS industry forward while developing a vast market for us to play and profit within.

I understand all the frustration, but given that we're positive these changes are coming, what's with all the animosity towards one another? Why don't we as a forum come up with some workable solutions as suggestions for the FAA, DOT and the makers of the regulations? ...or is our community goal to end up as disenchanted early adopters gone rogue?
It might be easy to require it but it would be impossible to enforce it. No one is rogue yet, technically there are zero actual enforceable laws on the subject. Dji is adding these restrictions based on speculations and it's been proven over and over that permission to fly within these zones is easily obtainable. You just have to basically let them know you will be flying there, they really don't care and have never told anyone they couldn't do so yet that I have heard about.

Reactions: huppe
Somebody will come along and offer jailbreaking or custom firmware for these off the shelf quads that get rid of all the limits. It is just a matter of time. This is probably the best outcome, DJI is not in trouble with regulators and users get to exploit the full potential of something they bought.

Reactions: Mike Walker
Hey guys started to look at all these flight controllers that DJI has out and...
For one what's the major difference between them all, you have the Naza line and then the A2/A3 line, and then finally the Wookong.... would be nice if they had a break down on "major" difference on the all!
And two, related to this thread, do these flight controllers have flight restrictions (altitude limit,NFZ...) built into them like their ready to fly drone?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomasovinido