Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

App to work around No Fly zone

Reaction score
Website
www.worldmediafilm.com
Having heard that disabling the GPS no longer works to get around the NFZ ( not sure if this is true... be interested in comments) Im eager to know if anyone is aware of whether or not using a 3rd party app to control the Inspire in flight instead of the DJI Go app has the effect of getting around the NFZ's.

Comments welcome and direct experience would be awesome.

Just to be clear I do not condone flying in actual NFZ's its just that DJI's are a bit arbitrary in some circumstances.

As the only nofly zones I have here are airports (and I will not install any updates which include city nfz) I cannot test this.

But I think there is lots of limit communications between Aircraft and RC now so also the RC GPS must be disabled and also tablet GPS. With no GPS working how it should know of a nofly zone?

At the moment 3rd party apps cannot override nofly zones. I dont know if its true that a nfz database is stored in the firmware itself or its just SDK callbacks which theoretically could be overrided if some 3rd party dev has big enough balls to do this.

As the only nofly zones I have here are airports (and I will not install any updates which include city nfz) I cannot test this.

But I think there is lots of limit communications between Aircraft and RC now so also the RC GPS must be disabled and also tablet GPS. With no GPS working how it should know of a nofly zone?

At the moment 3rd party apps cannot override nofly zones. I dont know if its true that a nfz database is stored in the firmware itself or its just SDK callbacks which theoretically could be overrided if some 3rd party dev has big enough balls to do this.
With no GPS signal present the aircraft is sensibly restricted to 120m/400ft altitude from take off point using the internal barometer.

Didnt test this. But as a nfz is unlikely to be in the middle of a mountain a 120m alt limit should be high enough.

I would be more concerned for wind in 120m alt and flying in Atti mode. I am sure sooner or later some Inspire will crash in a city due to get lost in the wind if DJI widens nfz which have nothing to do with airports or powerplants.

The altitude is based from point of take off, therefore a flight from a NFZ at a base altitude of 2000 above sea level will fly up to 2400 Ft
@ editor I agree its a sensible limit but i read in a post that it was now restricted to 65 ft since the latest firmware upgrade .... any confirmation on this?

I remember reading in this thread that there's a way of writing Dji and having it temporarily removed. I read this link now and it says it's no longer working.

Unlock DJI GO No Fly Zones
  1. You must provide a written statementthat you are legally allowed to fly in the intended area.
  2. The ID of the person signing the document must be provided.
  3. The disclaimer form must be signed.
  4. The NDA(Non-Disclosure Agreement) must be signed.
  5. You must provide the serial number of the aircraft.
  6. Name and address of the area to be unlocked.
  7. Intended date and time of flight.

And @The Editor where's this web based service you mention in this post?
What he said ^^^^^ :p (thanks lake_flyer you beat me to it)

It should also be noted
  • This is a temporary solution (until the web based service is launched in September)
  • It was only launched a few days ago
  • I personally have not had an opportunity to use it (due to the second point above)
  • It may/should be modified to require a long and lat rather than 'an address' which is not accurate positional information in respect of air navigation.

@ editor I agree its a sensible limit but i read in a post that it was now restricted to 65 ft since the latest firmware upgrade .... any confirmation on this?

I dont think because it always jumps to the 120m limit which is defined as standard. Limits are defined in m a limit of 19,812m would be odd and I never seen this anywhere. Anyway just switch it on at home indoor and you will see. Make sure nothing has access to GPS.

See what alt limit it accepts.

You can also try the following trick:#
1. Install Litchi 2.3.1 on an other device.
2. Start the Inspire and set the limits you like using Litchi 2.3.1.
3. Dont switch the Inspire off.
4. Then connect your real flying device and use whatever software you want but dont touch any alt settings.
5. You can now fly with the uncensored limits set in Litchi 2.3.1 before.

This stops working when you install any 1.05+ firmware so stay with what you have if you dont want to end up in a fancy geofence.

Last edited:
I also saw that that service was withdrawn ... have seen no further news on the provision for temporary or other removal of NFZ's
I have flown at airports previously ( with all the necessary permissions ) and had to disconnect the gps in order to do so.
Am about to fly around the tower of a major airport, again with all the permissions in place ( in fact the airport itself is the client) yet am potentially thwarted yet again!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool