Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

USA FAA Area Wide Authorization Requests in the US?

Reaction score
Have you applied for an area-wide request for controlled airspace? I'm interested in the language you used to request this and what you chose for the centerpoint of the proposed operation.

I've done a couple requests for specific places within controlled airspace, but not for the entire area - this would make my life a LOT easier if I could do that.

I'm in the same boat - I submitted a wide area authorization request for KBTV about 3 weeks ago. I used the airport coordinates as the center point and set the radius to the max (2-3NM), then explained my intent in the description of proposed operation. It has not been approved yet so I'm not sure if my wording would help you in any way. Basically I explained the performance based standards. We'll see what happens!

I recently received my waiver for the the entire Class D airspace for Boeing Field (KBFI) (Seattle). It took nearly three months to receive it, and more than two for them to notify me that they were processing it. It is good for one year.

My proposed area of operations was stated as:

KBFI Class D Airspace
(Boeing Field/King County International Airport)

The waiver included a grid of the entire Class D airspace, with the maximum authorized height for each area. Note: it is not additive to structures, it is the absolute max. I requested 150', but they authorized heights ranging from 50' to 400' and includes a no-fly zone over KBFI itself and one other area nearby.

I recently received my waiver for the the entire Class D airspace for Boeing Field (KBFI) (Seattle). It took nearly three months to receive it, and more than two for them to notify me that they were processing it. It is good for one year.

My proposed area of operations was stated as:

KBFI Class D Airspace
(Boeing Field/King County International Airport)

The waiver included a grid of the entire Class D airspace, with the maximum authorized height for each area. Note: it is not additive to structures, it is the absolute max. I requested 150', but they authorized heights ranging from 50' to 400' and includes a no-fly zone over KBFI itself and one other area nearby.

So they granted you varying altitudes based on what is shown in the grid map for KBFI? That would be very helpful for me at some of the airports around here - some of the local airports don't have grid maps displayed at airmap.io . . . in that situation would you just request 100 or 150 AGL for the entire space?

Yes, they provided a grid of the entire airspace with varying max heights. I requested 150 max for the entire airspace, but the heights in the grid range from 50-400'.

Have you applied for an area-wide request for controlled airspace? I'm interested in the language you used to request this and what you chose for the centerpoint of the proposed operation.

I've done a couple requests for specific places within controlled airspace, but not for the entire area - this would make my life a LOT easier if I could do that.
What country are you talking about and what aviation authority?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sjoby08