Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

UK ARPAS & Drone Safe Register

Reaction score
Can someone explain to me what the purpose of these companies are? We've been operating for a year now and haven't joined either of them. What are the pros & cons (if any) of becoming members? Surely the main place to go for a customer to check out the credibility of a company is the CAA website which lists all the qualified companies? I seem to see their name tweeted a lot and was just curious. Is it worth while joining them both, what's people's opinions?

Can someone explain to me what the purpose of these companies are? We've been operating for a year now and haven't joined either of them. What are the pros & cons (if any) of becoming members? Surely the main place to go for a customer to check out the credibility of a company is the CAA website which lists all the qualified companies? I seem to see their name tweeted a lot and was just curious. Is it worth while joining them both, what's people's opinions?
Complete waste of time.
You are quite right, the information on all PFAW holders is freely available on the CAA website.
A 'Register' is pointless.

Complete waste of time.
You are quite right, the information on all PFAW holders is freely available on the CAA website.
A 'Register' is pointless.
I must admit, we were a little sceptical of giving money away for the sake of it. I'm curious to see if people that have signed up have seen any return on their investment that be can directly apportioned to being linked with them. It seems like as this industry starts to get bigger then there are people waiting in the shadows to try and create things that might not be necessarily needed in order to make money. Maybe that's a slightly sceptical view to take?

One of the issues I had whilst considering whether or not to join up is that, if someone wants to hire an operator and doesn't know anything about them, how would they know these companies even exist? Surely they'd just search for local companies in Google?

That's what Google is for.
Then use the CAA list to confirm PFAW is held.
Simples. :)
Here a Google shows up folks who do not have PFAW. I'd love to see a few prosecutions for commercial work with out a PFAW. Police here are not interested in chasing any of the even blatant uncertified operators.

Reactions: SCM660
In my opinion they are just a company seeking an opportunity to make money alongside their partners eg insurance companies.

Assuming you have obtained (and paid) for a Permission for Commercial Operations (PfCO) from the CAA in the UK, your details can be confirmed by any client by simply visiting the CAA website. No cost to them, no cost to us. That's it. And it doesn't come more official than the CAA, I wouldn't have thought. The danger for Commercial 'drone' pilots is when clients expect to see membership of such an organisation when it fact in reality, right now, it makes no difference.

Unless there are additional benefits that come with joining such registers, like marketing which we would all like, we need to start educating current and potential clients to this fact before we are forced to pay unnecessary charges just to 'look the part' and join those that thought this was a good idea. Very sad......

In my opinion they are just a company seeking an opportunity to make money alongside their partners eg insurance companies.

Assuming you have obtained (and paid) for a Permission for Commercial Operations (PfCO) from the CAA in the UK, your details can be confirmed by any client by simply visiting the CAA website. No cost to them, no cost to us. That's it. And it doesn't come more official than the CAA, I wouldn't have thought. The danger for Commercial 'drone' pilots is when clients expect to see membership of such an organisation when it fact in reality, right now, it makes no difference.

Unless there are additional benefits that come with joining such registers, like marketing which we would all like, we need to start educating current and potential clients to this fact before we are forced to pay unnecessary charges just to 'look the part' and join those that thought this was a good idea. Very sad......
An old thread now (over a year old) but yes, just a parasitic company that adds nothing and thinks they can charge for the privilege of publically available information.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlesssouth