Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Aspect Ratios for stills

Reaction score
I would like to be able to set the camera to shoot 3:2 aspect ratio and on the X5s only 4:3 and 16:9 is available. The P4Pro has 3:2 option in the settings. Surely this could be an option on a machine that gets used commercially and images are shown with standard 35mm format images. I shoot in 4:3 but have to crop every image in post..Really annoying. Maybe it could be included in the next firmware update.

You wishlist will mostly go unfulfilled. You will need to keep flying the P4P, Mavic Pro 2 or move to an X7 for the 3:2. You should be able to easily set up an automated batch resize in photoshop to do all the days data in one step.

Reactions: RBP
I would like to be able to set the camera to shoot 3:2 aspect ratio and on the X5s only 4:3 and 16:9 is available. The P4Pro has 3:2 option in the settings. Surely this could be an option on a machine that gets used commercially and images are shown with standard 35mm format images. I shoot in 4:3 but have to crop every image in post..Really annoying. Maybe it could be included in the next firmware update.
Yeh, it is one of wishes on the long list members on RCG put together a year ago. We were given hopes, half promisses but to this day it all turned into nothing. Phantom 4 and X4S cameras have both 1" sensors which itself has 3:2 ratio hence this ratio is available, as it utilizes the full area of the sensor. The X5S on the other hand is MFT. As the name suggests the format of the sensor has 4:3 ratio, so the 3:2 format would be a croped area of the MFT sensor. Top and bottom would be croped off. It is possible to automate the process in Photoshop and it is also easy to do manually in LR. Unless you have hundreds of images to crop it should be pretty fast and easy process.
What you can do to assist framing when shooting, is to set custom ratio guides so you will see on your display the 3:2 guides when shooting. That way you can compose your shots accurately.

Reactions: Lucky
Yeh, it is one of wishes on the long list members on RCG put together a year ago. We were given hopes, half promisses but to this day it all turned into nothing. Phantom 4 and X4S cameras have both 1" sensors which itself has 3:2 ratio hence this ratio is available, as it utilizes the full area of the sensor. The X5S on the other hand is MFT. As the name suggests the format of the sensor has 4:3 ratio, so the 3:2 format would be a croped area of the MFT sensor. Top and bottom would be croped off. It is possible to automate the process in Photoshop and it is also easy to do manually in LR. Unless you have hundreds of images to crop it should be pretty fast and easy process.
What you can do to assist framing when shooting, is to set custom ratio guides so you will see on your display the 3:2 guides when shooting. That way you can compose your shots accurately.

Phantom 4 and X4S cameras have both 1" sensors which itself has 3:2 ratio hence this ratio is available, as it utilizes the full area of the sensor. The X5S on the other hand is MFT. As the name suggests the format of the sensor has 4:3 ratio, so the 3:2 format would be a croped area of the MFT sensor. Top and bottom would be croped off. It is possible to automate the process in Photoshop and it is also easy to do manually in LR.
It is trivial to automatically crop an arbitrary number of images to 3:2 in a single step in LR. Check out these LR features: Sync, Develop Presets, and Apply a Develop Preset during import. I always shoot stills with the natural aspect ratio of my camera's sensor. I see no benefit to having the camera throw away pixels for me, although I do understand that visualizing the final image can be aided by shooting that way, if you are working in a context that requires a specific aspect ratio. I simply prefer to have as much flexibility as possible in post. Just my preference.

Reactions: mmarian
It is trivial to automatically crop an arbitrary number of images to 3:2 in a single step in LR. Check out these LR features: Sync, Develop Presets, and Apply a Develop Preset during import. I always shoot stills with the natural aspect ratio of my camera's sensor. I see no benefit to having the camera throw away pixels for me, although I do understand that visualizing the final image can be aided by shooting that way, if you are working in a context that requires a specific aspect ratio. I simply prefer to have as much flexibility as possible in post. Just my preference.
Sometime I do need to deliver to clients final photos in 3:2 aspect ratio. That is where the guides help, to frame the shots during shooting that I won't loose important parts of the scenery or a subject when the automated crops are applied in LR.
I am like you, "processing" DNGs. I have LR CC and PS CC, I do this for living. But I can understand that some people might shoot JPEGs only and that is also their output. If they need 3:2 photos and get 4:3 it can be a pain-in-you know-what, especially if they do not have a decent software to automate the process. But more importantly they can be in real strife if they shot everything 4:3 and not keep in mind that it needs to be 3:2 aspect on final photos. I can see how having the 3:2 shooting option could come handy in some situations but obviously DJI thinks otherwise?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cruzamikayla