Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Autopilot Cruise Mode

Reaction score
Website
hangar.com
We are excited to announce that a new Mode will be included with the 2.1 release at the end of this month: Cruise Mode.

It may be easier to explain by example, where each example has a short description, and then a screenshot showing the controls in Cruise Mode that will accomplish the described behavior.

Example 1: Focus-like Behavior for Phantom 3
While Autopilot can pitch and yaw the gimbal in Focus Mode on the Inspire, this doesn't help keep the Focus Subject center framed for Phantom users. Cruise Mode can now allow you to still fly the aircraft with the RC joysticks (altitude, pitch, and roll), while it handles the yaw and gimbal pitch.
IMG_2820.PNG

Example 2: Long Distance Flight
Do a long distance run without cramping your thumbs.

Fly due north as fast as you can at 200ft.
IMG_2813.PNG

Fly back to the Focus Subject (operator) as fast as you can:
IMG_2816.PNG

Example 3: Smooth, Straight Descent
Execute a perfectly straight flight path due east at 20 mph while slightly descending. Control the aircraft yaw (or gimbal yaw on the Inspire) and gimbal pitch by using the right RC joystick to manually set the video framing during the flight.
IMG_2823.PNG

Example 4: Complex Maneuver
Execute an ascending corkscrew maneuver to record a long-exposure still photo at night with glowsticks.
IMG_2819.PNG

Example 5: Panorama
Execute a constant panning motion at 100ft while continuous photos is enabled.
IMG_2824.PNG

Attachments

• IMG_2821.PNG
    IMG_2821.PNG
    180.7 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
Example 3 looks like slow ascent rather than descent isn't it? 25% U?

To do a quick selfie, you could do ascent 25%, back 25%, yaw focus operator?

This mode looks pretty awesome. For ascent and going forward/backward, maybe have setting to put limit on how high and how far AC allowed to go...

Example 3 looks like slow ascent rather than descent isn't it? 25% U?
Sorry, uploaded the wrong image the first time - edited.

To do a quick selfie, you could do ascent 25%, back 25%, yaw focus operator?

This mode looks pretty awesome. For ascent and going forward/backward, maybe have setting to put limit on how high and how far AC allowed to go...
Yes, though you might want to use Zip Line to accomplish the limits more exactly. Cruise will still operate in the Min and Max Altitude/Distance settings, so there are limits.

we need videos examples, I don't understand almost nothing. this is a very power and complex app. I like it very much

It would of be nice if this was incorporated into the waypoints. It would do well in the UI and be easier to understand for people.

Video is done - awaiting final comments from the team - should have it released today :)

Everyone,

I just finished and released the new video on Autopilot's Cruise mode:

Let me know what you think:

Reactions: Flugsaurier
This cruise mode is great. I have a couple of questions:

• is a bit of sluggishness expected, when controlling the pitch/roll strategy with relation to device orientation? It responds, but it is very much slower than normal control, even with resposiveness set to 'instant'
  • when I'm in cruise mode with vertical strategy set to joystick, it is very slow to respond. Full stick input will result in a very slow gain in altitude (almost imperceptible). Max vertical is set to 100%. Is this normal behaviour?
thanks

Richard,

A "little sluggishness" is expected as it has to go through the app and then back to the RC. Not sure about the slow gain in altitude issue - I'll ask the dev to provide some thoughts if he has any.

Eric

thanks. It seemed really weird - I basically could not gain altitude, but I only tried it the once (it was gusting 40mph winds!). I'll try it again and see if it does it again, but it certainly was odd. Flicking back to P mode and I shoot up and down to my heart's content.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
codymorgan