Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Aux power out from I2?

Reaction score
Hello fellow I2 users!
Does anybody know a way of accessing battery power on the I2 whith the batteries attached and the drone ready to fly? (I need to power other equipment attached to the drone and it would be nice not to have to mount an extra battery.)
Best Regards from Sweden!

Hello fellow I2 users!
Does anybody know a way of accessing battery power on the I2 whith the batteries attached and the drone ready to fly? (I need to power other equipment attached to the drone and it would be nice not to have to mount an extra battery.)
Best Regards from Sweden!
Yes, but it requires partial disassembly of the drone and soldering. You can access the power either on the board mounted on the back of battery compartment or at the connector below rising arms assembly.

Ok, thanks for the info! Any idea (videos/pics) which of these spots that would be easiest to reach?

Ok, thanks for the info! Any idea (videos/pics) which of these spots that would be easiest to reach?
Doesn't matter, you'll have to remove the entire landing gear mechanism assembly to access these spots anyway:
1.remove the nose shell
2.remove top shell with GPS module and power switch (it snaps on the battery compartment+4 screws)
3.unplug antennas and ESC wiring (mark their position on Cinecore module, take photos)
4.remove fasteners on top and bottom which are securing rising screw mechanism and servo to the fuselage
5.pull the fuselage down, grabbing the Cinecore module and battery compartment. It should hang only by 4 banana connectors at the bottom of frame.
The power is delivered to another pair of banana plugs on battery back board, these may be embedded in silicone glue.
DJI Inspire 2 Desmontagem CopterFIX - Drone Assistência CopterFIX - Drone Assistência • 2.3K views 2 years ago

Last edited:
Doesn't matter, you'll have to remove the entire landing gear mechanism assembly to access these spots anyway:
1.remove the nose shell
2.remove top shell with GPS module and power switch (it snaps on the battery compartment+4 screws)
3.unplug antennas and ESC wiring (mark their position on Cinecore module, take photos)
4.remove fasteners on top and bottom which are securing rising screw mechanism and servo to the fuselage
5.pull the fuselage down, grabbing the Cinecore module and battery compartment. It should hang only by 4 banana connectors at the bottom of frame.
The power is delivered to another pair of banana plugs on battery back board, these may be embedded in silicone glue.
DJI Inspire 2 Desmontagem CopterFIX - Drone Assistência CopterFIX - Drone Assistência • 2.3K views 2 years ago
Thanks for that! Since I can't understand the language in your video, can you tell me, is this the spot to tap power (yellow circle) or on the main leads (pink circle)? and what's the voltage on these leads? I can test with Multimeter, but thought it might save some trial and error to ask you.
Screenshot 2020-12-28 153809.jpg
Cheers
Russell

My assumption is there must be some "stepped-down" power in the nosecone area. Is it possible to tap into any of these connections for power? I'm just trying to power the DJI FPV Air Unit which takes 7.4 - 17.6 vScreenshot 2020-12-28 154828.jpg
This connector, for instance? Or any of those wires in the harness on top?

Thanks for that! Since I can't understand the language in your video, can you tell me, is this the spot to tap power (yellow circle) or on the main leads (pink circle)? and what's the voltage on these leads? I can test with Multimeter, but thought it might save some trial and error to ask you.
View attachment 30191
Cheers
Russell
That's not my video nor language (I think is Portuguese). Anyway, fat grey and black wires are your 22.8 V supply (not yellow circled). The polarity is black -, grey +. You can solder your FPV power wires to either banana plugs beneath this square plastic holder or to the posts on the other side of board. Good luck and Better New Year!

Reactions: Killboydotcom
My assumption is there must be some "stepped-down" power in the nosecone area. Is it possible to tap into any of these connections for power? I'm just trying to power the DJI FPV Air Unit which takes 7.4 - 17.6 vView attachment 30193
This connector, for instance? Or any of those wires in the harness on top?
I wouldn't mess with any of these wires ...

Reactions: rpossum
That's not my video nor language (I think is Portuguese). Anyway, fat grey and black wires are your 22.8 V supply (not yellow circled). The polarity is black -, grey +. You can solder your FPV power wires to either banana plugs beneath this square plastic holder or to the posts on the other side of board. Good luck and Better New Year!
haha... well, thank you for all the great help! And yes, BETTER NEW YEAR to all!!!

I got in there yesterday and did it... thanks for your help!
I recorded a video of it and will post it when I get it edited. Ended up putting a Matek BEC inside that steps down to 9v, then ran the wires out through one of the grommets.

Reactions: CoreySnipes
I got in there yesterday and did it... thanks for your help!
I recorded a video of it and will post it when I get it edited. Ended up putting a Matek BEC inside that steps down to 9v, then ran the wires out through one of the grommets.
Should do, can't see why not ...

Here's my video of how I got this working . Hope it helps someone!
Bravo, nerds rules!!! Congrats!

A word of advice about making tutorial videos of this nature ... Speed-ups are usually worth nothing and - most of the time - irritating. Making really good, informative Inspire 2 teardown video is very difficult due to the complexity of this machine. You'll be much better skipping this parts and posting links to a very few existing YT publications, none of which, however, is well made ...

Bravo, nerds rules!!! Congrats!

A word of advice about making tutorial videos of this nature ... Speed-ups are usually worth nothing and - most of the time - irritating. Making really good, informative Inspire 2 teardown video is very difficult due to the complexity of this machine. You'll be much better skipping this parts and posting links to a very few existing YT publications, none of which, however, is well made ...
yeah, I get it...
but since I didn't think to film the process until halfway through, and since I couldn't really find anything helpful out there in english, I figured it couldn't hurt to do at least this much. Didn't think to film it until it was taken apart, then realized maybe I could just reverse the video to show how it came apart. So yeah, not a "really good, informative Inspire 2 teardown video" but hopefully helpful to some.
Thanks again for your help
Cheers
Russell

In case anyone is interested, I updated my Thingiverse post to include all updated files.
I've updated my Thingiverse post to include the Dji Air Unit mount, along with the DJI FPV Cam mount, for Inspire 2. Check it out here:
Next thing I do (probably today) is insert a BT2.0 connector in the power lead... so that if I'm not using the air unit, I simply disconnect power. If you don't know then, BT2.0 connectors are AWESOME for this kind of thing.

Over the past weeks, I've used this rig a LOT and I absolutely love it. Flying the Inspire 2 in FPV mode with goggles is a game changer for certain kinds of shots.
IMG_6655-2.jpgIMG_6654-2.jpgIMG_6657-2.jpgIMG_6656-2.jpgIMG_6653-2.jpg

Hey Russell!

Wanted to commend you on doing this and taking the time to document and help the community - its much appreciated. We are trying to mod our fleet of inspires to include this and I was wondering about which Matek BEC you used to step down to 9V power. Thanks!

- Jake

Hey Russell!

Wanted to commend you on doing this and taking the time to document and help the community - its much appreciated. We are trying to mod our fleet of inspires to include this and I was wondering about which Matek BEC you used to step down to 9V power. Thanks!

- Jake
My pleasure!
I've been using the Matek BEC

And FYI, I'm sitting here right now updating my 3d model to allow for tilt on the FPV cam... need to be able to tilt up a little for going forward fast... so you aren't just looking at the ground ;-)

1611106600744.png
5 degree increments from zero to 20. If you fly FPV, you know that you basically have to be moving forward or else you are looking up... so it'll take a bit of testing to get it just right. If anyone knows of a good, small 1 axis gimbal, that would be the best... always level forward. I'd be happy to design the mount if someone points me to the right thing
Once I get this tested , I'll update the Thingiverse listing
Cheers

Thanks for that - very helpful. Its funny because we had been looking at doing this with a small lipo to power it but when we saw how clean you've managed to make this we had a change of mind. Top rate work. Once we start work on this I'll be in touch!

Reactions: rpossum

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kajal142