Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Backup GO app on IOS 9/10

Reaction score
Has anybody succedeed to backup the GO app to a computer when on IOS 9 or IOS 10?

Apple has apparently changed things from IOS 9 so it is not possible to backup apps anymore.

So if somebody has found a way to backup complete apps on IOS 9 or 10 i would be glad to hear about it.

The apps are backed up whenever you do a backup with iTunes. However, it's not possible to extract an individual app/version from a backup any longer, so you need to be pro-active and save a copy manually through iTunes before you do any updates. I've stopped my iPad from doing automatic updates these days, so the Go4 app will only be updated manually when I let it!

Each time a new update is available I now backup the previous version by going in to iTunes on my Mac and viewing the apps. Find the DJI Go app (either 3 or 4) and right (ctrl) click it - there should be an option to view in finder, click that and a finder window will open with the app highlighted - you can then copy it to a backup location. Only after doing that do I allow both iTunes and the iPad to update to the newer version (if I want them to). If you ever need to step back a version or two, then simply replace the version in the iTunes folder and re-sync your iPad and it should copy the downgraded version to the iPad for you. Make sure to re-check all your settings in the old version before flying!

I've various old versions of DJI Go 3 and DJI Go 4 saved for posterity ;) :D

The problem for me is that the GO app version i want to back up is on my iPhone, on itunes i have an even older version of the GO app that is already backed up the way you described it.

But the GO app version on my iphone that i want to back up is not the latest GO app version, so if i sync my iphone apps with itunes i think it will update it to the latest version (which i don't want)?

So thats why i would need to be able to backup the GO app from my iPhone to my computer.

But as i have understand that is not possible anymore since IOS 9? Yet another option destroyed by Apple.

Or is there some way to transfer the GO app to itunes in that same version that it is on the iphone without the app getting updated to the latest version?

The problem for me is that the GO app version i want to back up is on my iPhone, on itunes i have an even older version of the GO app that is already backed up the way you described it.

But the GO app version on my iphone that i want to back up is not the latest GO app version, so if i sync my iphone apps with itunes i think it will update it to the latest version (which i don't want)?

So thats why i would need to be able to backup the GO app from my iPhone to my computer.

But as i have understand that is not possible anymore since IOS 9? Yet another option destroyed by Apple.

You do understand why Apple stops signing code after a certain amount of time right?

You do understand why Apple stops signing code after a certain amount of time right?

Code signing?
It´s the new feature called App thinning / App slimming as far as i have understand to save space.
This also makes you need to re-download every single app manually one at a time after a phone restore.

All i want to do is to backup my own complete apps that in many cases are paid apps and that are purchased with my own Apple ID and will hence only work on my iDevices.
I´m not considering that too much to ask for.

Code signing?
It´s the new feature called App thinning / App slimming as far as i have understand to save space.
This also makes you need to re-download every single app manually one at a time after a phone restore.

All i want to do is to backup my own complete apps that in many cases are paid apps and that are purchased with my own Apple ID and will hence only work on my iDevices.
I´m not considering that too much too ask for.

Sorry. Had a discussion about Apple code signing. You are correct. For apps where I want to make sure I have a version that I want, I copy them to another folder for later storage.

Sorry. Had a discussion about Apple code signing. You are correct. For apps where I want to make sure I have a version that I want, I copy them to another folder for later storage.

Not applicable in my case. My GO app version that i want to backup is on my iphone, and not in my itunes library / computer.
I guess that is not possible.

it will be backed up, but it can't be extracted separately to the backup. if you needed to access that version again, then you'd need to restore the i-device to the complete state it was at that backup.

Apple changed how backups were stored in later versions of iOS so that it was harder for the backups to be 'cracked' by other people (aka hackers and NSA/GCHQ/GRU etc), the downside of the added security is that you can no longer extract bits of the backup :(

Which version of the app is it.... there are some places on the web that you can redownload some app versions from - both DJI Go and DJI Go 4. I've not used it, so can't speak for it's veracity, but it seems to have most versions..... DJI GO Version History - iPa4Fun

If it's a newer version of Go 4, then I've a few older versions archived as standalone apps which may work.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cruzamikayla