Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Balancing help: Olympus 14-42

Reaction score
I have balanced a number of front heavy/back bal. lenses. This 14-42 is back heavy.

I have used:
a 37-46 stepupring + 1) BR46-10 bal. ring + B+W cir. pol. filter + a polar pro ND
totaling 39 grams- not enough.

What do you guys do to balance the Oly. 14-42? Posted in wrong spot one asked if i extended it. I have not. Does the I2 x5s need to be powered up.

Thanks for your suggestions.
John

I only have experience with the i1 pro X5 but with that you do indeed need to power on the bird with lens attached to get the lens out of "pancake" mode at which time the barrel will extend and you should be pretty close to balanced with that set up. I use a similar set up with the oly 14-42mm on my x5.

I only have experience with the i1 pro X5 but with that you do indeed need to power on the bird with lens attached to get the lens out of "pancake" mode at which time the barrel will extend and you should be pretty close to balanced with that set up. I use a similar set up with the oly 14-42mm on my x5.
Hi, not directly relevant to current thread, but......how is 14 42 with videos on X5 & 1 pro? I have read that it will not zoom in video mode? Is that correct?

Hi, not directly relevant to current thread, but......how is 14 42 with videos on X5 & 1 pro? I have read that it will not zoom in video mode? Is that correct?
The lens ok for video, honestly its not the sharpest lens and I prefer any prime lens over it as far as picture quality goes but it does have its place. The zoom works in video and photo modes however it does not zoom smoothly (zooms in steps) so you can't achieve any cinematic zoom shots with it. Buts its still usefull since you can change focal length between shots without having to land and change lenses. Whats od is that on my osmo it zooms smooth as butter like it does on any other camera besides when attached to the inspire.

Reactions: Mixchief
The lens ok for video, honestly its not the sharpest lens and I prefer any prime lens over it as far as picture quality goes but it does have its place. The zoom works in video and photo modes however it does not zoom smoothly (zooms in steps) so you can't achieve any cinematic zoom shots with it. Buts its still usefull since you can change focal length between shots without having to land and change lenses. Whats od is that on my osmo it zooms smooth as butter like it does on any other camera besides when attached to the inspire.
yeah it is disturbing that it works on the Osmo and not on the bird

Yeah, its a bit sad. But as I get older I realise life is like that. I bought my 1 pro in Aug '16 and have used it in different parts of the world and got my UK commercial approval in Jan this year. i would just like to get some sale-able images with the kit I have got. I have learnt from experience with DSLR that there is is always something better tomorrow. While the smart guys make use of what they have today!
Roger W-E
www.rwe-photography.com

Reactions: Mixchief
I saw a video (review?) on YT a couple of weeks ago of the Panasonic 18-42 on an X5S, where the zoom was smooth as silk. I don't know if this is function of the lens or of the bird, I think there is also mention that the Panasonic fits the X5S but not the X5, which is a bummer

I have balanced a number of front heavy/back bal. lenses. This 14-42 is back heavy.

I have used:
a 37-46 stepupring + 1) BR46-10 bal. ring + B+W cir. pol. filter + a polar pro ND
totaling 39 grams- not enough.

What do you guys do to balance the Oly. 14-42? Posted in wrong spot one asked if i extended it. I have not. Does the I2 x5s need to be powered up.

Thanks for your suggestions.
John

I just put one on my 5s with the balancing rings from DJI. Works perfectly. It's only back heavy when it's turned off. When on the lens extends and the beauty of this lens is that you can adjust the zoom from the app while it's in the air. Incredibly useful and I found it to be perfectly sharp.

I just put one on my 5s with the balancing rings from DJI. Works perfectly. It's only back heavy when it's turned off. When on the lens extends and the beauty of this lens is that you can adjust the zoom from the app while it's in the air. Incredibly useful and I found it to be perfectly sharp.
Does the zoom work smoothly on the X5S?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CandyGolds