Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Barometer malfunction, again

Reaction score
I just got my I1 back from the factory to repair my barometer. I finally got a chance to fly last week and noticed my displayed altitude was still not correct after a few minutes of easy flying. It was off by a couple of meters.

My question to you guys is "how accurate is your barometer?" I'm I asking too much from this technology? I mostly fly in ATT mode but don't think should matter.

The problem with shows up when using one of the "smart" modes. Once engaging Nav mode, it will seek the altitude that was stored when the waypoint was entered, and if it's not correct, the drone may (and has) crash into the ground.

Should I return it again?

Thanks
Shemp

Mine is out a bit too and varies slightly. Doesn't matter much in normal flight. One of the reasons I like Autopilot is that it can use the barometer in Air 2 which is way more accurate. Waypoints coming for it too.

Also personally I would never set waypoints that close to the ground for the very reason you mentioned.

Hope your crash was not severe.

Not even the high end barometers are going to be precise enough to be within a couple feet without drift. Weather changes which can cause the air pressure to change and nothing is as precise as you seem to think. Back in the days of aneroid pressure sensors you'd be lucky if your altimeter was within 50 feet and it would tend to jump in 25-100 foot increments as altitude changed.

As Irish said do not set waypoints so close to the ground that a 3 foot drift in baro readings would cause a crash. In fact, I don't think I'd set waypoint much less than 20 feet above ground and only then when the route is short and over flat ground.

Brian

It wasnt off a couple of feet. It was off a couple about 7 meters! My waypoints were about 10 meters. Atmospheric pressure did not change. Besides, were talking about 2 minutes here.

DJI just said to return it for expedited service. Another big thumbs up to their customer support team.

It wasnt off a couple of feet. It was off a couple about 7 meters! My waypoints were about 10 meters. Atmospheric pressure did not change. Besides, were talking about 2 minutes here.

DJI just said to return it for expedited service. Another big thumbs up to their customer support team.
You said in your OP that it was a "couple" of meters, usually a couple is two. 7m is a bit much. I presume you have done a full IMU calibration?

OK, 7m does sound pretty high so lets hope DJI replaces and you're good to go.

Brian

Sorry for the confusion. I need to proof read my posts. I have not been clear.

The worst error I have seen was about 7m. The error increased with flight time. This was before I sent it in. My first flight after the repair, I was off by one meter in just a few minutes. When I called dji and asked, they said send it back.

I was hoping to get some real world data from guys here to see what kind of altitude error you were seeing. I now check it before every landing just to see how it's doing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alecia4669