Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Batt warning fell from sky

I was flying on my fourth battery suddenly got a red cell damage battery warning and it tumbled from the sky from about 100 feet pretty much totally destroy anybody gone through this procedure with the JI and how long does it take and what do they do thank you
Sorry for your loss, makes me scary flying my,
So you got red damage battery warning, for both battery? Very strange!! Where is the redundancy in two battery? Please send us more details.
Again, feel so sorry for you, and hope DJI will take in charge and end you a new one.

I was flying on my fourth battery suddenly got a red cell damage battery warning and it tumbled from the sky from about 100 feet pretty much totally destroy anybody gone through this procedure with the JI and how long does it take and what do they do thank you
I thought you normally flew with additional Lipos strapped to your rig giving you redundancy? Were you flying just on the TB47/8 at the time?

Well, I had 10 batteries charged and wanted to fly them down to storage levels. In hind sight I should have done it at a ground hover. But you know, the system is designed to fly without using aux batteries to prevent such nightmares. At times I feel DJI has to be trusted? Even worse this battery had only been charged 3 times before this incident as its a 47 which I hardly use. At this point unless DJI helps me out with replacement, I may sell all the inspire 1 batteries, aux batteries, controller, lenses, etc and go to the inspire 2 with two batteries. Do they have shut down issues like the 1? all the 47 have less then 10 charges, 3 of the 48 have less then 7, and the other 3 48's have 33,22,15, . 4 of the 48 have been modified to accept the two thunderpower tp 2700's. I suppose I could remove those mods. Honestly some guy in UK came up with a attaching clip that slides right into the normal contacts of the batteries which allows one to use aux batteries without modifying the main battery. I have two of those and it works great.

Well, I had 10 batteries charged and wanted to fly them down to storage levels. In hind sight I should have done it at a ground hover. But you know, the system is designed to fly without using aux batteries to prevent such nightmares. At times I feel DJI has to be trusted? Even worse this battery had only been charged 3 times before this incident as its a 47 which I hardly use. At this point unless DJI helps me out with replacement, I may sell all the inspire 1 batteries, aux batteries, controller, lenses, etc and go to the inspire 2 with two batteries. Do they have shut down issues like the 1? all the 47 have less then 10 charges, 3 of the 48 have less then 7, and the other 3 48's have 33,22,15, . 4 of the 48 have been modified to accept the two thunderpower tp 2700's. I suppose I could remove those mods. Honestly some guy in UK came up with a attaching clip that slides right into the normal contacts of the batteries which allows one to use aux batteries without modifying the main battery. I have two of those and it works great.

I have not read any issues with the batteries shutting down on the I2 and would recommend the purchase of one. Respectfully, I would never buy a used Inspire battery that has been modified for any reason.

You don't use aux batteries as I recall and haven't had any issues? Flying over water is I suppose another reason to really trust your batteries. A fellow pilot said he hovers with the screen showing each cell when takes off. Looks at cell balance does a hard up, side and slow down to watch how cells react and balance before going off for the flight. Apparently the 76% on main screen mean nothing if there is a cell out of balance.

Well I was just informed by someone of inspire 1 Facebook group that the dji go app has a fatal flaw. While the main screen may show a green battery percentage there is no warning if a cell is bad on that screen . Unless you click on the battery pages which covers half the screen you won't see a bad cell? If this is correct, that's a very misleading main screen.

A fellow pilot said he hovers with the screen showing each cell when takes off. Looks at cell balance does a hard up, side and slow down to watch how cells react and balance before going off for the flight. Apparently the 76% on main screen mean nothing if there is a cell out of balance.
Correct - as I have said time and time again on this forum. Percentage is meaningless in battery capacity. Voltage is absolute and should be used for determining battery depletion.

I regularly (3 or 4 times per flight) will flick into the main battery screen to keep an eye on cell tracking under load during every flight.

There is no 'flaw' in the app. The battery percentage can just be ignored and the battery level will show the lowest cell voltage at the top of the screen (which will also change colour to warn you). By keeping an eye on this lowest cell voltage you are already seeing the most depleted cell.

I wouldn't think normally with 2:40 seconds into flight one would be worried about the state of a brand new battery with 1 charge and 100% life indicated in healthy drones logs. However, hindsight as it appears, perhaps one can't trust the dji battery even new to perform. When and if I get a replacement via dji or insurance, I will add checking that battery screen right before and after takeoff. Perhaps do a quick pull up to 20 ft and watch the cell levels before continuing with flight. In the case of a well used battery I that has shown cell deviations before I can understand caution and such procedures. This proves such procedure must be done even on a new battery.

Correct - as I have said time and time again on this forum. Percentage is meaningless in battery capacity. Voltage is absolute and should be used for determining battery depletion.

I regularly (3 or 4 times per flight) will flick into the main battery screen to keep an eye on cell tracking under load during every flight.

There is no 'flaw' in the app. The battery percentage can just be ignored and the battery level will show the lowest cell voltage at the top of the screen (which will also change colour to warn you). By keeping an eye on this lowest cell voltage you are already seeing the most depleted cell.
With all due respect - there absolutely IS a flaw in the DJI GO App. The battery is a critical system on the DJI Inspire and therefore any condition that is not normal should be brought to the pilots attention immediately. The GO App green colour does not change on the main screen to reflect a critically low cell voltage. Here are a couple of screen shots to explain the situation -
These screen captures were taken moments apart. IMHO (as an ex aircraft engineer with 32 years experience in the Royal Air Force on fast jets) it should show RED on the main screen!

Attachments

• 2100DE33-3873-41E0-AC05-8285A03B7C43.large.JPG
    2100DE33-3873-41E0-AC05-8285A03B7C43.large.JPG
    324.1 KB · Views: 144
  • 3BB4C35E-12AE-48FA-9F05-DC0830A0DF58.large.JPG
    3BB4C35E-12AE-48FA-9F05-DC0830A0DF58.large.JPG
    409.5 KB · Views: 147

What cell voltage do you consider to be the minimum for safe flight?

What cell voltage do you consider to be the minimum for safe flight?
I monitor my battery condition screen at the start of every flight now to ensure they remain in the amber zone at least, during vertical acceleration. If they don't go into the red with the battery temp. above 25 degrees C then I am good to go. DJI seem to have the cut off from amber to red set at 3.49v. 3.5v it's amber, 3.49v it's red. My gripe is none of this is reflected on the main screen. The only warning you will get is the power reduced flag which seems to come on so frequently, people have started to ignore it! The voltage IS the critical issue but the voltage option on the main screen (if you have turned it on!) is so small, without colour change to get your attention, you will never notice it in time!

Last edited:
Well in my case heathy drones data showed : new battery charged 1 time with 100% life, took off with98% battery . Data showed it turned off with 76% but cell 3 only dropped to 2.95. V with no warning on the main screen. No notifications other battery percentage. Clearly a defective battery.
No doubt about it, you definately had a defective battery but if there had been a colour change to red on your main screen you may have had time to land and save your machine!

Reactions: 3DZIGN
I monitor my battery condition screen at the start of every flight now to ensure they remain in the amber zone at least, during vertical acceleration. If they don't go into the red with the battery temp. above 25 degrees C then I am good to go. DJI seem to have the cut off from amber to red set at 3.49v. 3.5v it's amber, 3.49v it's red. My gripe is none of this is reflected on the main screen. The only warning you will get is the power reduced flag which seems to come on so frequently, people have started to ignore it! The voltage IS the critical issue but the voltage option on the main screen (if you have turned it on!) is so small, without colour change to get your attention, you will never notice it in time!
The voltage indicator does change color and I've seen mine go red above 3.5 volts. I can't remember if I read or just assumed that the voltage display is showing the lowest cell.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redrocksshuttle