Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Battery Charging Best Practice

Reaction score
Can someone tell me what is the "best practice" when it comes to charging the Inspire batteries. Specifically the Controllers. Does it hurt the battery if its charged after every flight or should it be run under a certain percent before charging. The reason I ask this is that years ago when I flew RC planes, one always had to be concerned about "battery level memory". If you always recharged a battery at say 50%, soon the 50% would become the full discharge. I know those batteries were different, but the question is still on my mind. I would like to feel comfortable about recharging the RC battery after every flight to be ready for the next, even if it is still at 70% charge.

On the flight batteries, is it better to recharge when low after a previous flight or wait until before the next flight to recharge, assuming there may be days between the flights?

If you can help me understand, it would be appreciated.

Can someone tell me what is the "best practice" when it comes to charging the Inspire batteries. Specifically the Controllers. Does it hurt the battery if its charged after every flight or should it be run under a certain percent before charging. The reason I ask this is that years ago when I flew RC planes, one always had to be concerned about "battery level memory". If you always recharged a battery at say 50%, soon the 50% would become the full discharge. I know those batteries were different, but the question is still on my mind. I would like to feel comfortable about recharging the RC battery after every flight to be ready for the next, even if it is still at 70% charge.

On the flight batteries, is it better to recharge when low after a previous flight or wait until before the next flight to recharge, assuming there may be days between the flights?

If you can help me understand, it would be appreciated.

And as a continuation of that question if you need to not fly for an extended period (say over 10 days) what's the best way to prep the batteries?

No memory effect on lithium batteries.

They however don't like to be stored neither full nor empty, so you'll ideally want to leave them around mid charge when not using them for a while.

I didnt have a chance to discharge my batts before sending the bird back.
Two are at 100% and one is at 80% ( or so ) Is there anything it can do to them to discharge or ?

Inspire batteries discharge themselves to storage level after the programmed time (default 10 days) when you don't touch them.

Inspire batteries discharge themselves to storage level after the programmed time (default 10 days) when you don't touch them.

Thats what i thought.... They have been sitting since the 12th. Still have charge.. ?

Press on the button once to see the status? There's a reason for having those LEDs there ;)
They should have discharged themselves to about 65%.

How does 65% relate to four lights?
1 light 25%, 2 lights 50%, 3 lights 75%
Or is that not the way it works?

All described in the manual, there are blinks for intermediate states too.

Two still have four lights.
One has three solid, one flashes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're going by the LED's I've found that the "best" is 2 solid and and the very first blink on the third. If you actually put those into numbers it comes out to right at 49%-50% life or 3.8v per cell, which is the ideal storage charge on any lipo, well 3.7-3.8 and sometimes you won't even get the third led, it will just be 2 solid LEDs, I have a lipo that does this but the third LED blink isn't far behind.

One thing I've been curious about, not really sure why I haven't asked yet, with my standard lipos I store them in the fridge when they don't get used for an extended period of time. Curious to know if this is safe with the inspire batteries? I just kind of assumed that with the technology embedded in them that this probably wasn't a good idea so I haven't bothered. And this isn't an issue, I'm flying every other day pretty regularly so I wouldn't want to store them like this anyway, but just in case I find myself going longer and longer between flights.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop