Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Battery Management

Reaction score
i wanted to poll you guys to understand what kind of protocols and management you are using for the proper care of your batteries.
I have 7 TB48's and the Smart Charger that simultaneously charges 4 batteries.
I thought of creating a spreadsheet to track the charges for each, by serial number, the dates of the discharge cycles, dates purchased, etc.
Can you guys share your protocols? How do you track everything?

Battery log kept as part of my flight logs and maintenance manuals.
TB47's numbered 1,2,3,4.........etc
TB48's lettered A,B,C,D..........etc.
Number/Letter of battery logged with each flight details (duration etc). Battery calibration entered as part of maintenance procedures.
Flight logs kept as part of CAA requirements for commecial operations.

My batteries are simply numbered 1 to 7 (TB47 or TB48). I track all the data available on the Battery Dialog before and after each flight. This allows me to monitor the performance and usage of my batteries over time.

These are the forms I use to record each flight (FO05) with information transferred to my management register (FO04) for each battery. They form part of my UAS OSC approved as part of my CAA PFAW. I have them printed on A5 sheets, so they are easily completed in the field and saved in a loose leaf folder. Feel free to use and adapt them to your needs.

Attachments

• FO04 Battery Management Register v1.pdf
    24.1 KB · Views: 219
  • FO05 Site Flight Record v1.3.pdf
    59.2 KB · Views: 161
do any of you do the recommended drain battery till it shuts itself off procedure every 10 charge cycles?

Reactions: Clancey
Scott,
Thank you very much for your contribution. I very much appreciate it as it is exactly what I was looking for. I also own and use the Smart Power Charger SPC4500, so if you care to share any specific usage hints, I would be appreciative.

I do have a few questions about your nomenclature on your forms. To keep things simple, I will just write the nomenclature/text below with a question mark. If you could explain the meaning of those terms, that would be fantastic! I apologize for my ignorance in advance...LOL

On Battery Management Register:
B/F?
C/F?

On Site Flight Record:
RPA?
VPS?

And more basic questions..
Regarding Modes, Multiple/VPS, what is MF and VPS?
Regarding battery life (%)/charges, what is your methodology here?
Regarding maximum battery charge (mAh), are these simply the TB47 vs. TB48 mAh ratings?
In 5.5, are you pulling all of that data from the battery screen in the app?

Scott, I want to thank you in advance for your help.

Ken

Scott,
Thank you very much for your contribution. I very much appreciate it as it is exactly what I was looking for. I also own and use the Smart Power Charger SPC4500, so if you care to share any specific usage hints, I would be appreciative.

I do have a few questions about your nomenclature on your forms. To keep things simple, I will just write the nomenclature/text below with a question mark. If you could explain the meaning of those terms, that would be fantastic! I apologize for my ignorance in advance...LOL

On Battery Management Register:
B/F?
C/F?

On Site Flight Record:
RPA?
VPS?

And more basic questions..
Regarding Modes, Multiple/VPS, what is MF and VPS?
Regarding battery life (%)/charges, what is your methodology here?
Regarding maximum battery charge (mAh), are these simply the TB47 vs. TB48 mAh ratings?
In 5.5, are you pulling all of that data from the battery screen in the app?

Scott, I want to thank you in advance for your help.

Ken
To quickly answer your questions:
B/F = Brought Forward **
C/F = Carried Forward **
** Standard Accountancy terms for transferring totals from one sheet to the next.
RPA = Remotely Piloted Aircraft (did you not do this in your Ground School)
VPS = Visual Positioning System (one of the user selectable settings)
MF = Multiple Flight Mode
Battery Life = calculated battery life remaining - battery management dialog
Max Battery Charge = calculated max charge - battery management dialog
5.5 = yes

SPC4500 = Only tip is make sure your battery is switched on before inserting to Deep Cycle.

My batteries are simply numbered 1 to 7 (TB47 or TB48). I track all the data available on the Battery Dialog before and after each flight. This allows me to monitor the performance and usage of my batteries over time.

These are the forms I use to record each flight (FO05) with information transferred to my management register (FO04) for each battery. They form part of my UAS OSC approved as part of my CAA PFAW. I have them printed on A5 sheets, so they are easily completed in the field and saved in a loose leaf folder. Feel free to use and adapt them to your needs.
Most helpful Scotflieger, I really appreciate the share.

Reactions: Scotflieger
To quickly answer your questions:
B/F = Brought Forward **
C/F = Carried Forward **
** Standard Accountancy terms for transferring totals from one sheet to the next.
RPA = Remotely Piloted Aircraft (did you not do this in your Ground School)
VPS = Visual Positioning System (one of the user selectable settings)
MF = Multiple Flight Mode
Battery Life = calculated battery life remaining - battery management dialog
Max Battery Charge = calculated max charge - battery management dialog
5.5 = yes

SPC4500 = Only tip is make sure your battery is switched on before inserting to Deep Cycle.

Scott,
Thank you for the help. I did not go to Ground School. I am a licensed professional engineer and a professional photographer in the U.S. (I own both an engineering company and a separate photography/videography company). I am doing my best to enlist and engage best practices in the use of the sUAV for both businesses. Part of that effort is the Section 333 Request for Exemption submission to FAA (done), the development of a thorough preflight checklist (done) and the use of a comprehensive battery management system (reason for my inquiry). So I do appreciate what you have provided and your explanations.

The one last question I have is concerning your answers for the Battery Life and Max Battery Charge. I'm unclear on where you derive these values. Again, pardon my ignorance and thanks in advance!

The one last question I have is concerning your answers for the Battery Life and Max Battery Charge. I'm unclear on where you derive these values. Again, pardon my ignorance and thanks in advance!

You are most welcome. As an engineer you will understand that a LiPo battery has a usable life based on usage and number of charges. DJI calculate this as a percentage on the Aircraft Battery dialog (see below). My oldest and most regularly used battery, first used on 30 Mar 15, is showing 85% life remaining after 67 charges. A quick calculation gives the total life of approximately 440 charges. Batteries tend to show a 1% drop every 4-5 flights.

The Max Battery Charge (or Total Capacity) is the 'actual' maximum charge that the battery was charged to at 100%. This value decreases with battery age/usage. The 5511 mAh shown below is for one of my TB48 with a nominal maximum of 5700 mAh.

To tackle reported battery problems (including the sudden cliff drop off), DJI changed the battery discharge profile (modelled in firmware) with the 1.3.0.0 upgrade. This required users to carry out the 100-5% continuous discharge and recharge to 'reset' the total charge values. It also had the effect of changing the battery life calculation which caused some users distress thinking that DJI had stolen battery life. In my experience, it has provided a better indication of life consumed.

I have written in my Operations Manual (UAS OSC) that I should replace a battery when it gets to 20% life remaining. The battery history I am tracking will allow me to determine whether this figure is valid.

BatteryDialog.jpg

Scott,
You are a gentleman and a scholar. Kudos to you my friend. Succinct and to the point and perfectly intelligible.
Since we are in the somewhat "wild west" here in the U.S., with Section 333 exemptions being the only formal address of commercial use of these UAV's until the FAA formally rules on the matter, would you recommend any other protocols besides my comprehensive preflight checklist and battery management?
Many thanks.
Ken

I use the Smart PowerCharger SPC4500 to 'deep cycle' after every 10-15 flights (usually 14 as that is the number of lines on my log sheet). It is just a press of the red button for me.
I have a question Sir about the SmartPowerCharger you mentioned. Now that you have used it for a while are you still happy with the job it does? I have one on my "have to have" list. Your Seal of Approval would be enough to take the plunge. Many Thanks in advance for your continued contributions to this website!

I have a question Sir about the SmartPowerCharger you mentioned. Now that you have used it for a while are you still happy with the job it does? I have one on my "have to have" list. Your Seal of Approval would be enough to take the plunge. Many Thanks in advance for your continued contributions to this website!
Hi John, simply I would not want to live with out it.

Reactions: John Archer

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
codymorgan