Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Best Backpack Solution

Reaction score
Hi,

I currently have an ongoing contract going with a local mountain bike builder. We will be doing a bit of drone/video work up in the hills and on the trails. He also builds some e-mountain bikes that we will be using to help carry our equipment up (fellow MTBers: lets not get into a discussion of e-bike ethics on the trails here - I assure you everyone involved is a good steward and will be smart about not rutting the trails!).

My question is would you recommend the $150 InsPak backpack, or could I get away with something like this (DJI Inspire 2/1 Phantom 4 Backpack Adapter Fit Bag Shoulder Belt Shoulder Strap | eBay) for the default DJI Inspire 1 case? The latter was always my plan, but I was just exposed to the Inspak and thought It would be a better level of protection. I currently use a Pelican-style case with wheels as my normal case, so I don't need the Inspak for anything other than this one gig which is why I am wondering if it is worth the expense.

The bikes are also designed for bikepacking, so we will have all kinds of storage options for the X5 camera, which I plan to keep in its own hardshell box and I will be placing that in the frame pack for extra security. I will not be riding hard at all - I am simply using the bikes to transport our equipment.

Let me know your thoughts!

I use the GPC Inspire 1 backpack case. DJI Inspire 1 Backpack | GPC, Inc.

Not sure why they have it listed as "Coming in 2018" unless they are redesigning it, but it is a good case for travel. I might consider using a smaller drone like the Phantom or Mavic PP for a shoot like that, but if the Inspire is all you have then all of the options you have listed will work fine.

Quick answer: I highly recommend the InsPak case.
Long answer: I have been using the InsPak hardshell landing mode case with my Inspire1 and X5 camera ever since that pack became available (two summers ago I believe) and I love it.It is my normal go to case when I'm working out of the car and when I need to hike in to a site. I usually am operating solo so leave my second controller home and use the InsPak's second controller cavity to hold 3 X5 lenses and my Crystal Sky batteries, protected in a little foam padding rig I made up. The pack is designed to hold 6 batteries (one in the bird), and I am able to squeeze in a 7th lying on its side with its head on top of my extra lenses in the second RC cavity, properly cushioned, and its body under the I1's battery holder. There is also room for a couple of prop sets, a filter and balancing weight holder, and a mem card holder in various other cavities. I had to do some minor mods to accommodate my Crystal Sky when I switched from using an iPadMini, but that was easy. When I need more gear (charger/hub, battery warms, second RC, etc), then I bring a helper/co-pilot, who carries an accessory pack.

I have a Pelican-style Microraptor rolling case too, which I use when flying to out of town gigs, and on marine-based projects that require reliable protection from splashes/waves, but it's a beast, and I don't enjoy lugging it around.

I use the InsPak over the included DJI case because the InsPak is a landing mode case, and safely holds the bird with the X5 camera and a lens already mounted, which save me lots of time on multi-location days. I especially like this when I'm working in remote locations, as every extra assembly/setup step seems more awkward in the field. And, of course, the InsPak functions as a backpack. The straps are pretty comfortable, and the back-facing side of the case is contoured a bit to fit your back. It really is a nice solution that offers a great combination of real protection for the equipment, relatively light weight, good capacity, and setup convenience. And no, I am not associated with them in any way. Just trying to be helpful. ;-)

Oh, I do agree with others that it seems worth considering if a more portable drone might be sufficient for your needs. If you were talking about using an I2 with an X7 I'd understand that any more portable DJI drone would be a significant step down in IQ. But if you are using an I1, even with the X5S camera, you might be able to get similar enough results with a P4P or even a Mavic (which I use for some video shoots due to portability and the collision sensors that my I1 lacks...primarily for the extra piece of mind).

Last edited:
Quick answer: I highly recommend the InsPak case.
Long answer: I have been using the InsPak hardshell landing mode case with my Inspire1 and X5 camera ever since that pack became available (two summers ago I believe) and I love it.It is my normal go to case when I'm working out of the car and when I need to hike in to a site. I usually am operating solo so leave my second controller home and use the InsPak's second controller cavity to hold 3 X5 lenses and my Crystal Sky batteries, protected in a little foam padding rig I made up. The pack is designed to hold 6 batteries (one in the bird), and I am able to squeeze in a 7th lying on its side with its head on top of my extra lenses in the second RC cavity, properly cushioned, and its body under the I1's battery holder. There is also room for a couple of prop sets, a filter and balancing weight holder, and a mem card holder in various other cavities. I had to do some minor mods to accommodate my Crystal Sky when I switched from using an iPadMini, but that was easy. When I need more gear (charger/hub, battery warms, second RC, etc), then I bring a helper/co-pilot, who carries an accessory pack.

I have a Pelican-style Microraptor rolling case too, which I use when flying to out of town gigs, and on marine-based projects that require reliable protection from splashes/waves, but it's a beast, and I don't enjoy lugging it around.

I use the InsPak over the included DJI case because the InsPak is a landing mode case, and safely holds the bird with the X5 camera and a lens already mounted, which save me lots of time on multi-location days. I especially like this when I'm working in remote locations, as every extra assembly/setup step seems more awkward in the field. And, of course, the InsPak functions as a backpack. The straps are pretty comfortable, and the back-facing side of the case is contoured a bit to fit your back. It really is a nice solution that offers a great combination of real protection for the equipment, relatively light weight, good capacity, and setup convenience. And no, I am not associated with them in any way. Just trying to be helpful. ;-)

Oh, I do agree with others that it seems worth considering if a more portable drone might be sufficient for your needs. If you were talking about using an I2 with an X7 I'd understand that any more portable DJI drone would be a significant step down in IQ. But if you are using an I1, even with the X5S camera, you might be able to get similar enough results with a P4P or even a Mavic (which I use for some video shoots due to portability and the collision sensors that my I1 lacks...primarily for the extra piece of mind).

Thanks so much for the write up! Everyone here makes a good point about using a smaller drone for this job, and if I had one, I would definitely opt for it instead. I am using the I1/X5 simply because I don't do as much drone work these days, so the amount of work I do doesn't warrant a second smaller drone. I have kind of switched over to airplane flight instructing full-time with a few fun drone gigs here and there.

You may not know, but there seems to be a large variation in prices for the InsPak. Sometimes they are priced near $300, and sometimes they are at only $150. Do you know why there is such a difference in price?

Thanks so much for the write up! Everyone here makes a good point about using a smaller drone for this job, and if I had one, I would definitely opt for it instead. I am using the I1/X5 simply because I don't do as much drone work these days, so the amount of work I do doesn't warrant a second smaller drone. I have kind of switched over to airplane flight instructing full-time with a few fun drone gigs here and there.

You may not know, but there seems to be a large variation in prices for the InsPak. Sometimes they are priced near $300, and sometimes they are at only $150. Do you know why there is such a difference in price?
the $150 IS Prob straight from the company making them. whereas the $300 is a 2nd seller trying to make money on the sale. I too have an Inspak and in fact just cutout my 2nd RC slot to fit the Hex charger

Yes, I had noticed the lower price when I was looking to see if InsPak offered a similar setup for the I2 a while back. Because I got it as soon as it came out I paid full price (sigh). At this point I imagine they are just trying to unload inventory for a product that now sees little demand.

Have yo gone to the Bestem site directly, they do seem to play with the prices, but I got mine AND the flight case that goes with it for $160, yes $80 a piece, so yeah, timing is everything, I thought they were maybe closing out stock and introduce the I2 case, but nothing yet. I highly recommend the case, I have never biked with it on my back, I am a small over 60s dude and I don't know, though I will actually try, but on pavement, out on the trail would be a stretch for me. The pack is NOT specially light, though it's neither specially heavy, but let me tell you (I have folding CF props) being able to open the case pulling the bird out and having only the remote to set up (I also have Titan Switch antenna) is just about as convenient as setting up a Mavic. My X5R only leaves the bird to hop on the Osmo.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurskmvah