Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Calibrate Len Using Manual Focus Inspire 2 X5S

Reaction score
Hi all,

We used to be able to calibrate the lens on the Inspire 1 using manual focus which allowed us to get the focus as sharp as a tack. I tried to do the same with the Inspire 2 but I cant change to MF and the manual focus slider is not available.
Does anybody know anything about this.

How are you trying to switch to manual focus and what lens are you using? When in camera settings does the camera profile show the lens that you are using?

Your question tells me you have no idea what Im talking about.

It doesnt matter what lens Im using. Im talking about calibrating the camera in the camera settings.You used to be able to be able to switch between MF and AF during calibration.

Last edited:
Your question tells me you have no idea what Im talking about.

It doesnt matter what lens Im using. Im talking about calibrating the camera in the camera settings. I will repeat myself, you used to be able to be able to switch between MF and AF during calibration.

You had an individual that was trying to help you and this is your response? WTF is wrong with people these days?

I can see why you wrote that. But you either know what Im saying or you dont. If you dont then wait for someone who does. I appologise if the response seems harsh.

Sometimes questions are clearer to the person who asked them than people who are reading them. We are in a position where we fly most of the DJI lineup daily and can try to duplicate your issue in the daylight tomorrow.

Are you using an iOS or an android device?

Last edited:
Sometimes questions are clearer to the person who asked them than people who are reading them. We are in a position where we fly most of the DJI lineup daily and can try to duplicate your issue in the daylight tomorrow.

Are you using an iOS or an android device?

Ok, sorry about that. Frustration.

Im using iOS. With the Inspire 1 Pro you could start the calibration process, then switch to MF and then use the C1 or C2 along with the wheel on the RC and get the focus bang on. If you try with the Inspire 1 you will see what Im talking about. I can’t do it with the Inspire 2 X5S.

Ok, sorry about that. Frustration.

Im using iOS. With the Inspire 1 Pro you could start the calibration process, then switch to MF and then use the C1 or C2 along with the wheel on the RC and get the focus bang on. If you try with the Inspire 1 you will see what Im talking about. I can’t do it with the Inspire 2 X5S.

I will not have an I1 available to me tomorrow but will try to calibrate on the I2. I can try to calibrate on the 12,17,25, and 45 mm Olympus lenses. I have to check to see if we have a DJI 15mm lens handy to test.

I did not try it myself on I2/X5S, still it is importnant to note that for I1/X5 manual focus calibration you should:
1. enable MF Focus Assistant
2. start calibration, which automaticaly set you in Video mode, and then you should change to Photo mode AFTER your start calibration.
3. finish calibration in Photo mode using manual focus
Have you tried these steps?

Ok thanks very much for that.

I calibrated a 17mm Olympus lens today on our Inspire 2 X5S using an iOS device with the latest DJI Go4 App. Following the onscreen instructions the lens was calibrated successfully.

After the calibration was completed I was able to click on the AF/MF icon on the top right of the app screen, but it made no difference and as you have found that a focus slider never appeared. We hope to be able to check this out on an Inspire 1 in the next couple of days to see if the system you used is still available with current Inspire 1 firmware.

Regardless, the calibration system appears to have changed from the Inspire 1 to the Inspire 2. There may be some alternative ways to calibrate a lens differently on the Inspire 2 and we would love to hear about them.

Thank you for going through the trouble of doing all this for me. Very much appreciated.

You can definately use MF to calibrate the camera with the Inspire 1. It starts in AF but then you can switch to MF. Unless they changed it in an update. I cant check as I sold my Inspire 1. However it certainly appears this option is not avaiable with the Inspire 2, which is a shame.

This is odd. My Inspire 2 (All updated to current version stuff.) actually works and the Manual Focus Scale shows up with both the DJI stock 15mm lens as well as the Olympus 25mm lens. In Auto Focus the scale disappears, but it reappears in Manual Focus mode as it should and I can scroll it too and both lens respond.

Now my I2 RC controller randomly shuts partially off which is another bug that DJI introduced for me, but the focus system seems to work fine here. It's DJI's swell programming issues and funky firmware installations no doubt. Go figger!

DJI 15mm lens.jpg

Olympus 25mm lens.jpg

Notes to self: Do not start I2 with Olympus 25mm lens hood installed on the Olympus 25mm lens. It's too long, and strikes the gimbal arm continuously and it will not initialize.

This is odd. My Inspire 2 (All updated to current version stuff.) actually works and the Manual Focus Scale shows up with both the DJI stock 15mm lens as well as the Olympus 25mm lens. In Auto Focus the scale disappears, but it reappears in Manual Focus mode as it should and I can scroll it too and both lens respond.

Now my I2 RC controller randomly shuts partially off which is another bug that DJI introduced for me, but the focus system seems to work fine here. It's DJI's swell programming issues and funky firmware installations no doubt. Go figger!

View attachment 16837

View attachment 16838

Notes to self: Do not start I2 with Olympus 25mm lens hood installed on the Olympus 25mm lens. It's too long, and strikes the gimbal arm continuously and it will not initialize.

Really? Read the question again.

I know the slider works in manual focus. Thats not the issue.

Hi all,

We used to be able to calibrate the lens on the Inspire 1 using manual focus which allowed us to get the focus as sharp as a tack. I tried to do the same with the Inspire 2 but I cant change to MF and the manual focus slider is not available.
Does anybody know anything about this.

You never posed a question with a question mark.

My post was responding to your "question" (??) that "you cannot change to MF and the manual focus slider is not available." Mine is in the photos.

So what is your question?

Did you ever get to the bottom of this issue?

I have an inspire 2 with x5s
Working through tutorials on how to calibrate only gets me to the point where manual focus is required and as the op suggests this isn't possible on inspire 2. The only option is to auto focus and that gives a soft at best result.

Did you ever get to the bottom of this issue?

I have an inspire 2 with x5s
Working through tutorials on how to calibrate only gets me to the point where manual focus is required and as the op suggests this isn't possible on inspire 2. The only option is to auto focus and that gives a soft at best result.
I went through this myself and have to say that achieving tack sharp infinity focus, especially with Oly 12mm lens is a tedious and frustrating process. I had to repeat the calibration many times, trying to tap on subject slightly off centre, closer and further away until I was satisfied with the result. The problem is that after each attempt you have to download the image into computer and check at 100% magnification (I use Photoshop for that) and if the focus is off, repeat the process over and over again until you "get lucky". Attached bellow is a short video shot with Olympus 12mm after what I'd consider to be a successful calibration. It was shot in MF by tapping the infinity symbol in GO4.

Last edited:
Hmmm, I wish DJI would change the option description, it's misleading and is such a red-herring :(

You guys are aware that the focus calibration is only in effect for manual focus and simply sets the fast jump focus setting for the near and infinity points for the focus slider icons - (or for the focus wheel) i.e. When you touch the far/near icon at the top/bottom of the manual focus slider it 'jumps' to that setting.

It doesn't 'calibrate'/'microfocus adjust' and store a profile of the lens for use in autofocus like you can do on DSLR's.

(This is the same for both the X5 and the X5S.)

Reactions: DrMrdalj

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annettekirtont