Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Camera Missing In Action. Bye, then?

Reaction score
Took my Inspire out for an early morning shoreline flight to grab some shots for a music video this morning. Perfect weather conditions. All pre-flight checks made. Totally straightforward operation.

During a particularly wonderful shot, I suddenly lose signal. As per the emergency procedures, my Inspire decides to RTH and I regain control about halfway home (took her out about 300m). A quick aerial inspection leaves me a tad confused, as the camera is nowhere to be seen. I initiated a landing, and the aircraft seemed to be struggling a little, but that may have been some sudden wind.

Closer inspection shows the entire camera plate is MIA. Dropped into the sea, along with the SD card that had all my glorious footage on. I'm utterly baffled how this could have happened, as the plate was entirely secure during my checks. Has this happened to anyone else?

Attachments

• IMG_7222.JPG
    IMG_7222.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 69
The only thing I can think would be something hitting it perfectly, like a bird. If you check it, and it was secure, it can't just disconnect by itself. It's also possible you flew in between to competing wind forces, and it ripped the camera off the inspire one side at a time. My best guesses. Sorry bro. :(

That sucks - hope i will never experience that - will check the install extra time before every flight from now on. Nut atleast you have a reson to upgrade to the new cam now :oops:

A tip I picked up. Thread and tie some fishing line or fine zip-ties through the rubber gimbal mounts (they are hollow) - but not too tight as you want the mounts to flex. This will prevent the gimbal plate from detaching in the event of an accident (or violent movement).

now one year ago while I was making a few shots at an event, another guy came to film with his phantom (he was very experienced, also had with him a huge octocopter but chosed to fly the phantom), I was talking to him and watch his monitor while flying and suddenly the screen was blank, the phantom was still flying but we noticed the gimbal was missing, we than went on the rocks to search for the gimbal as we aproximately knew where it was when dropped (the place was a rock mine). We found it and somehow the whole gimbal dropped , some of the rubber parts whare on the gimbal some on the phantom, like in your photo.

I'm curious isn't there a free hole where we can attach a zip tie? but not tighten, to let the gimbal move freely from vibration, just as a precaution.

... I just noticed now, I had the page opened and left out of the office for a while, when I came back I wrote my message, in the mean time the other post was written and didn't noticed until now.

... I just noticed now, I had the page opened and left out of the office for a while, when I came back I wrote my message, in the mean time the other post was written and didn't noticed until now.
lol, yea ive done that a few times as well, or took an hour to compose a response as i had to go do something else in the meantime.

anyway yea the phantoms had plastic clips that went up through the rubber deals that made sure the gimble couldnt come off, I was curious when i noticed the inspire had no such feature but the rubber dampers on the inspire seem to be much better/thicker and they are a biznatch to try and get through the holes. Ive seen the rubber break in half on the phantoms and i definitely wouldnt fly one of those without the plastic clips to keep the gimble from falling off.

impossible it was wind in my opinion, ive flown mine 84 mph in 30+ mph winds with no issues and often fly in high wind conditions. Mustve hit something or perhaps a fault you didnt see on your inspection.

I added that item to my preflight checklist and also the fishing zip line to the mount, thanks.
sorry for your loss mate and thanks for sharing it!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotpalaksingh333