Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Camera options

Would you prefer an Inspire1 with 3rd party camera support?

• Total voters
Reaction score
Website
www.air-reelz.com
I'm really hoping there will be a second version released that can handle other cameras like the GoPro 4 or Sony Rx100 etc. I know the idea was for DJI to give users a complete out of the box option with all of their technology, but surely making it so proprietary and not giving us any additional options wouldn't be in their best interests.

They are marketing this towards professionals - and we need camera options to give us the most utility. I hope you're listening DJI!
What do you guys think?

I'm really hoping there will be a second version released that can handle other cameras like the GoPro 4 or Sony Rx100 etc. I know the idea was for DJI to give users a complete out of the box option with all of their technology, but surely making it so proprietary and not giving us any additional options wouldn't be in their best interests.

They are marketing this towards professionals - and we need camera options to give us the most utility. I hope you're listening DJI!
What do you guys think?
Couldn't agree more. I would bet they have something in development.

The thing is, battery life/flight time is unexpectedly low! They say max 18 mins. That is probably by just hovering in place with no wind. Since not even the Phantom is achieving it's proclaimed time of 25 mins, we can be sure that the Inspire will be in the air less than 18 mins. And since you will most likely want to return at the low battery alert at 30 %. What does that give you?! 11-12 mins in the air. Now put a different camera and gimbal. Which would obviously be heavier. Then you would get less then 10 mins.

I'm disappointed.

Reactions: slim.slamma

What do you guys think?
I didn't see any raw photos or video from inspire ,but according the specs the inspire camera's lens will be completely different than GoPro's lens.
And look the features like 0.7 bracketing ,filter option ; settings , turning on and off and taking pictures remotely .
Again I didn't see any samples ,but Sony CMOS, 9 aspherical elements +anti- distortion and UV filter+ f/2.8 (35) 20 mm is promising something

At first I didn't understand why anyone would need a GoPro4 capable gimbal for the Inspire 1. The H3-3D does a great job on the Phantom 2, just run it on that for cheaper. But, of course not everyone has a Phantom and it would be great to be able to hot swap the camera payload. Also, the Inspire 1 would allow for 360 degree pans.

So, I get it and hope this is something they offer for us. As far as I know, GoPro does not let 3rd parties interface with the GoPro camera features, so it's not going to work with the app at all, you'll just have to start recording and then launch. Time for GoPro to release an SDK like DJI?

At first I didn't understand why anyone would need a GoPro4 capable gimbal for the Inspire 1. The H3-3D does a great job on the Phantom 2, just run it on that for cheaper. But, of course not everyone has a Phantom and it would be great to be able to hot swap the camera payload. Also, the Inspire 1 would allow for 360 degree pans.

So, I get it and hope this is something they offer for us. As far as I know, GoPro does not let 3rd parties interface with the GoPro camera features, so it's not going to work with the app at all, you'll just have to start recording and then launch. Time for GoPro to release an SDK like DJI?

Thats a very good point - hopefully dji and gopro both realize the potential this platform has and come to an agreement. DJI make drones they should just stick to that and interface with the proven camera options already out there. I'd love to see a comparison of the gph4 against the i1 camera.

Reactions: slim.slamma
The H3-3D can do the Hero 4 but not perfectly. Takes a lot of tinkering. A gimbal suited to the H4B which can accommodate the weight of an optional ND would be perfect. As for the Inspire, I would only consider one if I could put an H4B or something more capable on it and it provided better stability or flight times over the P2. We'll see.

Reactions: britchris1
I really don't mind the way DJI is doing this, I think its a great idea to make proprietary cameras because of weight. I think the GoPro is a great camera but its not the best aerial camera. DJI can make a super light aerial camera that is streamlined and has a built in gimbal. This cuts a lot of excess weight. I want DJI to release a camera with a Four Thirds sensor that is geared towards still photography.

I placed my order yesterday. I prefer the all-in-one, ready-to-go, debugged solution they are offering. Spin on the props and fly. The video may not be of cinematic quality, but I don't care, I'm not using it to make a professional feature.

I placed my order yesterday. I prefer the all-in-one, ready-to-go, debugged solution they are offering. Spin on the props and fly. The video may not be of cinematic quality, but I don't care, I'm not using it to make a professional feature.

Couldn't agree more. I wanna open the case flip the switch and fly.

Reactions: ctp
The thing is, battery life/flight time is unexpectedly low! They say max 18 mins. That is probably by just hovering in place with no wind. Since not even the Phantom is achieving it's proclaimed time of 25 mins, we can be sure that the Inspire will be in the air less than 18 mins. And since you will most likely want to return at the low battery alert at 30 %. What does that give you?! 11-12 mins in the air. Now put a different camera and gimbal. Which would obviously be heavier. Then you would get less then 10 mins.

I'm disappointed.

BUT does anyone know if the 18 minute battery life is with the 4500mAh battery or the 5700mAh battery? I'm betting it was tested with the standard 4500mAh battery which means there's still hope!

They keep saying "flight time" when they state battery life of 18 mins. I think that implies some level of reserve, as well as an average. Meaning how you fly will vary that number + or -. I tend to get 25 mins out of the battery on my Phantom 2 Vision, which is a little better than most, so I'm hopeful the Inspire will be the same way. Definately plan on buying a few of the larger batteries when I get a chance.

As soon as they offer a more robust camera with larger sensor....I'm in. I don't necessarily want a GoPro gimbal. I don't like correcting for distortion.....and like the DJI rectalinear lens....but small sensor at 12MP won't cut it.

I'd like a kick *** DJI camera with larger sensor, or gimbal for RX100 or GH4......please!!!!

What I don't understand is why anyone would use the smaller battery? There surely is no disadvantage to using it.
Someone mentioned a limit on the size of a lipo that can be carried on an airplane. If true, that makes some sense, although I would assume multiple batteries would put you over any limit, but knowing government regs, probably not.

The bigger battery is most likely heavier too, so they may be targeting a lower weight to market the standard setup.

Question would be, is the weight difference enough to effect balance in any noticeable way?

I didn't see any raw photos or video from inspire ,but according the specs the inspire camera's lens will be completely different than GoPro's lens.
And look the features like 0.7 bracketing ,filter option ; settings , turning on and off and taking pictures remotely .
Again I didn't see any samples ,but Sony CMOS, 9 aspherical elements +anti- distortion and UV filter+ f/2.8 (35) 20 mm is promising something
dang..i wish i could post the ones i have from Romeo..check out Mark and Romeo's Aerial Adventures..they have some there.

As soon as they offer a more robust camera with larger sensor....I'm in. I don't necessarily want a GoPro gimbal. I don't like correcting for distortion.....and like the DJI rectalinear lens....but small sensor at 12MP won't cut it.

I'd like a kick *** DJI camera with larger sensor, or gimbal for RX100 or GH4......please!!!!
boy..that would be sweet! i will second that.

Someone mentioned a limit on the size of a lipo that can be carried on an airplane. If true, that makes some sense, although I would assume multiple batteries would put you over any limit, but knowing government regs, probably not.

The bigger battery is most likely heavier too, so they may be targeting a lower weight to market the standard setup.

Question would be, is the weight difference enough to effect balance in any noticeable way?
there is another battery available that is a bit larger if i recall. i doubt it will add much time though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlesssouth