Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Can one lose connectivity while Setting waypoints which cause RTH?

Reaction score
I have a question which no one seems to have asked.
I want to do a low flight around a big cathedral. When I fly the route to establish waypoints, will I lose connectivity as I fly around the far side of the domed roof while setting up the waypoints?
I expect machine will then go into return to home feature and have to fly vertically 200 feet to clear the top of the dome. I know once the waypoints are done and I lose connectivity, it will fly the mission regardless.
The only solution is to walk around the base of the church as i do the waypoints but this isn't possible with this building.
It s St. Joseph's Oratory in Montreal, which is the world's second largest only behind the Vatican.

I want to do a low flight around a big cathedral. When I fly the route to establish waypoints, will I lose connectivity as I fly around the far side of the domed roof while setting up the waypoints?
I expect machine will then go into return to home feature and have to fly vertically 200 feet to clear the top of the dome. I know once the waypoints are done and I lose connectivity, it will fly the mission regardless.
The only solution is to walk around the base of the church as i do the waypoints but this isn't possible with this building.
It s St. Joseph's Oratory in Montreal, which is the world's second largest only behind the Vatican.
With a large structure like a cathedral you need to maintain visual line of sight (VLOS) to the aircraft at all times. One, the structure will interrupt the signal between the RC and aircraft, two you don't want the insurance claim if it flies into the structure and three in most countries you are not permitted to fly beyond VLOS. If the signal is lost for more than 3 secs the failsafe RTH will trigger and the aircraft will climb to your failsafe height and return. You need to ensure that the height is set to clear the cathedral spire plus a, say 5m, safety margin. When you fly the DJI GO app Waypoint mission it will continue to fly the route until the last waypoint where it will either hover or initiate an automatic RTH (as set by you).

What has the odd waypoint method that he cannot make a waypoint behind the cathedral to do with the 500m range limit? Anyway....

Why not restict all cars to 130 km/h maximum speed. In the UK you are restricted........:eek:

Besides why should the rest of the world be restricted because you are in the UK?

Why you not get your own personal restricted custom config file to comply with all restrictions in all countries including the moon and let the others in peace with it? :p

What has the odd waypoint method that he cannot make a waypoint behind the cathedral to do with the 500m range limit? Anyway....

Why not restict all cars to 130 km/h maximum speed. In the UK you are restricted........:eek:

Besides why should the rest of the world be restricted because you are in the UK?

Why you not get your own personal restricted custom config file to comply with all restrictions in all countries including the moon and let the others in peace with it? :p
As hard as I try, I cannot see any logic in your comments other than the fact that you maybe fluent in the language of gibberish..

Well there is no logic in unnatural firmware restrictions - thats the logic.
Do we assume you consider them 'unnatural' because YOU don't like the sound of what may or may not be introduced and feel it will limit your ability to fly BVLOS out to several miles?
Or, is there some underlining issue here where (from the tone of your other posts on this forum) you might consider any DJI changes via firmware are in someway a violation of your human rights to fly wherever and whenever you want to?

Do we assume you consider them 'unnatural' because YOU don't like the sound of what may or may not be introduced and feel it will limit your ability to fly BVLOS out to several miles?
Or, is there some underlining issue here where (from the tone of your other posts on this forum) you might consider any DJI changes via firmware are in someway a violation of your human rights to fly whever and whenever you want to?
I agreed with most of your comment Editor,but right now because of the negative news on tv and newspapers people think that "drones " are dangerous.Here in my country we has an idiot who flew a P3 besides a main road while standing on a parking space.He alsmost flew into a car.All he got was a warning from the police.But when you read the comments it was all over f***king drones.
If I fly in remote areas I can fly much further then when I fly in area's where are houses or whatsoever.Last weekend I was flying in a remote area when a farmer asked me if I could fly to a place 1500 mtr away to check some of his cattle.So I did.He told me that he was thinking of doing this by himself.I don't want to be limited by any app.I fly responsible.
I don't believe that any of us have never went over the limit.
FPV made flying safer.I couldn't see my Inspire last weekend because of the sun alltough it was not further away than 60 mtr.Thanks to FPV it was no problem.
I said on another thread our goverment is making laws that we are stricted to 100 mtr distance and 50 mtr altitude.This is b*llshit I think.Ifthis happens I stop this long loved hobby.

I agreed with most of your comment Editor,but right now because of the negative news on tv and newspapers people think that "drones " are dangerous.Here in my country we has an idiot who flew a P3 besides a main road while standing on a parking space.He alsmost flew into a car.All he got was a warning from the police.But when you read the comments it was all over f***king drones.
If I fly in remote areas I can fly much further then when I fly in area's where are houses or whatsoever.Last weekend I was flying in a remote area when a farmer asked me if I could fly to a place 1500 mtr away to check some of his cattle.So I did.He told me that he was thinking of doing this by himself.I don't want to be limited by any app.I fly responsible.
I don't believe that any of us have never went over the limit.
FPV made flying safer.I couldn't see my Inspire last weekend because of the sun alltough it was not further away than 60 mtr.Thanks to FPV it was no problem.
I said on another thread our goverment is making laws that we are stricted to 100 mtr distance and 50 mtr altitude.This is b*llshit I think.Ifthis happens I stop this long loved hobby.
100/50m limits do seem a bit of a knee jerk reaction.
Are these same limits going to be enforced for people that become commercially licenced in The Netherlands as well?
Seems a little over zealous.
As @Scotflieger mentioned on another thread, the CAA over in the UK have been very 'sensible' in their approach to UAV's limits and weight categories.
There is also talk that in the new year some restrictions are being lifted for certified UAV operators which means we will be less restricted in congested areas with sub 7kg RPAS.

Reactions: Scotflieger
100/50m limits do seem a bit of a knee jerk reaction.
Are these same limits going to be enforced for people that become commercially licenced in The Netherlands as well?
Seems a little over zealous.
As @Scotflieger mentioned on another thread, the CAA over in the UK have been very 'sensible' in their approach to UAV's limits and weight categories.
There is also talk that in the new year some restrictions are being lifted for certified UAV operators which means we will be less restricted in congested areas with sub 7kg RPAS.
It will be worse for commercial pilots,because you have to ask permission to the local authorities also.
Thankfully our idiots from the goverment works very slow so who will know what can happen.
But you can bet that when I fly with my permit(€2500) there are people who don't pay any dime and do what they ever want.After that more restrictions will follow.
Few weeks ago my neighbours asked why I flew in the middle off the night,because they heard a "drone".Found out later that someone in my surrounding flew a Phantom while having a party.

Flying a phantom while having a party sounds like a crime to me...Not...
I don't see a problem with flying at night..
from what I've read on this forum about the laws in the UK I'd say they're pretty tight..
I don't get that most pilots from the UK seem to have issues with bvlos flights ..there is a place for this type of flying. .
in time there will be advances in technology that will allow bvlos flights to be more safe..
I don't fly miles over a city..this is obviously dangerous. .
I think it's great they have laws in place already and seem to be improving them..good for the Uk..
I wish the USA would follow suit ,but with more reasonable laws..
Flight proficiency test,license, insurance. ..
if you want to fly above 400' then it's a good idea for all the licensing and regulations, because you're flying with actual aircraft. ..
we all know not to fly by airports and stadiums one hour before and after an event along with not flying near fire fighting efforts also to fly below 400'...
besides that it's all over kill..

It will be worse for commercial pilots,because you have to ask permission to the local authorities also.
Thankfully our idiots from the goverment works very slow so who will know what can happen.
But you can bet that when I fly with my permit(€2500) there are people who don't pay any dime and do what they ever want.After that more restrictions will follow.
Few weeks ago my neighbours asked why I flew in the middle off the night,because they heard a "drone".Found out later that someone in my surrounding flew a Phantom while having a party.

Reactions: crashburn
Just look at the DJI GO contest videos.

You will hardly find ONE which could be legal under USA, UK or EU law. These laws are dead even before they are valid :rolleyes:. See the facts. Absolutely no one takes care of any regulations.

Next year I want to visit steam trains in Scotland. I will not fly over citys over masses of people more then 100m high or over roads - but I cannot keep any 500m or 50m limits. And I cannot use DJI GO and must be careful with firmware updates.

That doesnt mean I dont fly responsible. My girl always watches the Inspire with binoculars so its even in line of sight, just for the govs its not because they ignore the invention of binoculars. I always research the places I fly for powerlines, handytowers, ground altitude, trees, obstacles.......

If politicians want that someone considers their laws they have to make them more reasonable.

Reactions: crashburn
Just look at the DJI GO contest videos.

You will hardly find ONE which could be legal under USA, UK or EU law. These laws are dead even before they are valid :rolleyes:. See the facts. Absolutely no one takes care of any regulations.

Next year I want to visit steam trains in Scotland. I will not fly over citys over masses of people more then 100m high or over roads - but I cannot keep any 500m or 50m limits. And I cannot use DJI GO and must be careful with firmware updates.

That doesnt mean I dont fly responsible. My girl always watches the Inspire with binoculars so its even in line of sight, just for the govs its not because they ignore the invention of binoculars. I always research the places I fly for powerlines, handytowers, ground altitude, trees, obstacles.......

If politicians want that someone considers their laws they have to make them more reasonable.
I therefore suggest your leave your Inspire 1 are home and just enjoy the beautiful Scottish landscape. Don't come here and claim you are going to break every rule set out for aviation safety in the UK. 500m max distance, closest 50m and unaided visual line of sight are our laws. Don't mess it up for we who work here.

No offense intended ..
Sounds like it's already messed up ..lol...
I therefore suggest your leave your Inspire 1 are home and just enjoy the beautiful Scottish landscape. Don't come here and claim you are going to break every rule set out for aviation safety in the UK. 500m max distance, closest 50m and unaided visual line of sight are our laws. Don't mess it up for we who work here.

Reactions: pepeticos
With the Waypoint feature, if you load a favourite with you saved and its 200 miles away, will the inspire say bye as it shoots off on a 200 mile trip to your favourite Waypoint? There is no way to name them either.

With the Waypoint feature, if you load a favourite with you saved and its 200 miles away, will the inspire say bye as it shoots off on a 200 mile trip to your favourite Waypoint? There is no way to name them either.
If your aircraft is a distance from the first waypoint you get a warning which you can override. I can't say the distance but it is over 100m. I have not tested at greater distances.

I know that already.
What i want to know is will the signal be lost while making the waypoint flights as opposed to flying manually?

ready.

Just don't fly behind the dome to set the next waypoint, you could take a different route there and it won't effect the waypoint flight.

With regards to what will happen, best bet is to try it, start setting some waypoints in a test area and then switch off the controller, the Inspire will likely react in the same way.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexzazz