Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Careful with Map Pilot

Reaction score
Website
www.oyibo-vfx.com
Today, for the second time in three weeks my Mavic Pro crashed while flying a Map Pilot mission. Reason..... no clue
Only indication was a battery warning although AirData shows 63% power.
I mainly use Autopilot but for my mapping, I'm used to Map Pilot.
Until now. I have not used it with my Inspire but I can fix the Mavic. Would not like this with a €6000 unit

So, please.... be careful

Until now.
From what I can see you can't use autopilot for mapping mission can you? I also use Map Pilot and lost confidence when My I2 suffered a flyaway during a mission.

Also if you think its Map Pilot - wouldn't their support be the first port of call to see where the problem lays. What firm,warware are you using ?

The thing I liked about Map Pilot was that you can plan your map, fly it and stitch it for free when you stay below a certain amount of pixels.
For me, that means below 100 images.
With Autopilot, you don't have that option. You just plan your route and fly.
Autopilot does not yet support stitching

Maybe I was too quick. I'm back at my desk and loaded all the images in Autopano Giga 4.4 and that came out perfectly.
Of course it's only stitching in to one big image (12.282 x 18.769 and 70,6 MB) and not have all the features as elevation and 3D modelling but for me, this is exactly what I need.
Images of large ereas in high detail.
So, now I can do my routes in Autopilot and stitch them in Autopano...
No more hours of uploading (in Nigeria internet is still very slow) and more important, I can now fly lower, greater overlap (+70%) and slower drone speed...

Next.... making a Google Earth overlay. Will be busy today ;)

Today, for the second time in three weeks my Mavic Pro crashed while flying a Map Pilot mission. Reason..... no clue
Until now. I have not used it with my Inspire but I can fix the Mavic. Would not like this with a €6000 unit

OK so, why have you posted this in the Photos and Video section and why not over on Mavic Pilots since it is a Mavic airframe related crash?
Am I missing something?

Yes, I think you do
If I can prevent some of my fellow pilots to loose their expensive drone due to a software glitch, I think it is worth the effort.
For now I have learned that I will NOT use Map Pilot at any future flight. Not with my Mavic, not with my Inspire and not with my future M210.

Better save then sorry

Yes, I think you do
If I can prevent some of my fellow pilots to loose their expensive drone due to a software glitch, I think it is worth the effort.
For now I have learned that I will NOT use Map Pilot at any future flight. Not with my Mavic, not with my Inspire and not with my future M210.

Better save then sorry
I think you need to prove first categorically it was a Map Pilot 'glitch' before condemning it outright. By all means for your own peace of mind, I understand your reason not to use it. I use it nearly every day professionally with an Inspire and have never had a problem. I know bluelight had a problem with it on his Inspire 2 but I never heard if he got to the bottom of it with MME.

Last edited:
Where I use Autopilot on a daily basis without any problem (451 flights, over 750km) I never had a crash.
I did 3 flights with Map Pilot the last three weeks (after the last software update) and it crashed on 2 of them. Same issue, same message on my screen, same notification for my battery, no error on my flight details (as per AirData information)...
So, despite the fact that you might have no problems, my stats prove otherwise

Attachments

• IMG_495DEEF54885-1.jpeg
    IMG_495DEEF54885-1.jpeg
    632 KB · Views: 25

Why use either for mapping? DJI's GS Pro app is simpler and doesn't require the bird to stay in contact with the remote. So far it's been rock solid reliable with my Inspire 1, and I've flown 3 mapping missions with the Mavic with no problem so far. I DO use Autopilot for construction progress videos, but not mapping gigs.

Reactions: IrishSights
There are tons of programs, I just choose the wrong one. I use now the Autopilot and that works very good. But might try Groundstation too. Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fivafi