Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

USA Certified 107 traveling abroad

Reaction score
So what do I need to do as an FAA certified 107 pilot if i'm traveling abroad and want to take my Inspire? Let's say I'm in England for example.. Do I need to certify there as well? I'm guessing that if I want to fly it for commercial purposes there would be something needed beyond that of a hobbit?

Grrrrrr.. darn autocorrect.. that is suppose to be hobbyist!!! not hobbit... ;)

Hey, @Maverik . I just did a quick search and became waste deep real quick. Any acquaintances over there that can call EASA for you? I think that would be the easiest way to get quick sure answers.

As a hobbyist you would just need to abide by the hobbyist rules for the country you are visiting.

For England (with a sub 7kg UAV) that would mean no flight above 400ft, always in VLOS, max 500 metres range, minimum of 50 metres from objects not under your control, no overflight of buildings, structures or vehicles and a minimum of 150 metres from congested areas or open air gatherings of more than 1000 people.

Each country has it own rules for commercial operation which, as far as I know, are not recognised by other countries. So, if you were traveling to the UK to do commercial work you would need to obtain a Permission for Commercial Operation (PfCO) first.

I am traveling to Australia soon but unfortunately my PfCO will not cover me to do commercial work while I am there. Nor would my visa I guess!

Sent from my iPad using InspirePilots

Reactions: BennG
So what do I need to do as an FAA certified 107 pilot if i'm traveling abroad and want to take my Inspire? Let's say I'm in England for example.. Do I need to certify there as well? I'm guessing that if I want to fly it for commercial purposes there would be something needed beyond that of a hobbit?
I way prefer flying as a Hobbit!!!! :p

MrTVR is correct, you would be fine flying hobby rules in the UK but for ANY commercial activity you will require PfCO from the CAA.
This will give slightly less restrictions than that of a hobby a flyer and allow flying in congested areas with sub 7kg aircraft, however, you would need to sit a groundschool, then an exam and finally a flight assessment as well as have an operations manual submitted and approved by the CAA. Not really practical for a holiday type trip unfortunately.

The same for me - I have held PfCO (formally PFAW) for a number of years but it's useless to me when we visit our home in Cape Coral regularly since my qualification means nothing in the States. :(

P.S. - you are now officially the Hobbit UAV flyer. :D

Reactions: MrTVR
Thank you.. I appreciate your responses.. I'll refrain from any commercial operations while I'm abroad, but can see I'll still need to do a bit of research on local laws and regulations for your average hobbit.. ;)

Thanks again.. Have a wonderful day.

Reactions: The Editor

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cruzamikayla