Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

choosing the right still photo drone

Reaction score
Hello! I am ready to buy a proper still photography drone. I have professional still image needs, not video. Any help with these couple questions is GREATLY appreciated!
1. Can I connect a X5S camera and gimbal(made for inspire 2) to an Inspire 1?
2. Will the X5S produce better quality RAW photo files than the X5R, besides resolution?(dynamic range, Low light sensitivity, background noise, color)
3. Is the gimbal steady enough on the Inspire 1 pro for professional still photography? I like to be able to push shutter speed as long as possible.

X5S will only work on the Inspire 2. Completely different system.
The gimbal is quite steady on the I1Pro but subject to flying conditions. If it is windy, there will be some drift which would blur a long exposure. I have gotten some good 'longshots' with mine.
X5 shoots stills in raw same as the X5R. Difference being the X5 will not shoot video in raw.

Ok, Thanks. I have been comparing, and it looks like DJI doesn't offer the Inspire 1 with the X5R for less than $5,399. Meanwhile, I can get an Inspire 2 with 2 extra batteries, X5S, and extra props for $5290... I don't need the Pro RAW video licensing keys... If those prices hold true it seems like a no brainer!

Or, get the Inspire Pro with the X5 for $3199.00.
Brand New Sealed DJI Inspire 1 Pro 4K Camera Zenmuse X5 with 3 Axis Gimbal | eBay
This is an authorized DJI dealer so you would have full warranty. I have dealt with them and they are legit.
DJI is out of stock on this setup. Guess they are pushing the I2!!
Again, the X5 shoots raw stills. The raw stills shot with the X5R would be no different.
I had an X5 with 4 different Olympus lenses. 12mm, 17mm, 25mm and 45mm.
I moved on to the Z3 because I love the zoom on it. I used to have to land often to change lenses.
Save yourself $2000 and put it toward some lenses.
Just my $.02 worth.

Reactions: rdweaver
That's interesting, they make it seem like you can't change lenses on the X5. I'll compare it to the others!

That is completely wrong.
The X5 can use any Micro 4/3 lens.
It comes with a DJI branded Panasonic Lumix 15mm which isn't a bad lens at all.
Any of the other ones I mentioned can be used but balancing the camera is critical. This is done with balance rings or some just need a filter added to balance them.
They also say the Olympus 14-42 zoom works on it, but I tried one and it was a very poor fit and yielded lousy results.
Guess that's what a $175.00 lens does!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Hotshots
For your still photography needs I would say the Inspire 1 Pro (with X5) would be more suitable. It would really come down to whether you find the added features of the Inspire 2 to be helpful to you. Many of the I2's most prominent features cater to film production and if you don't have plans to get into video you'd be paying for a number of features that are not going to be all that applicable to still photography (mainly talking obstacle avoidance and FPV cam). Inspire 2 does give you more reliability with dual IMU and dual battery for redundancy but many of us and members on the forum can also attest to the reliability of the Inspire 1. The Inspire series is simply a product line of workhorses. You'll be happy with either but I do think for a focus in still imaging the Inspire 1 Pro is 100% suitable.

Whatever you choose, safe and happy flying, and welcome to the forum. :cool:

Mike

Yeah I don't need several of the video related features. Yet there's nothing else but Inspires to consider. DSLR carrying systems are just too big and bulky for my needs. Battery life and range are important features for my needs as well. I shoot very large stitches, and sometimes fly a decent distance. Recently I took a shot with my Mavic pro that was 5500 feet away, and was a 28 image stitch, with 5 shot AEB. This meant I could get 2 exposures per battery life (27 Minute battery). I'm not sure I could get a shot like that with a battery rated at 18 minutes. I would also benefit from dual cameras. I would definitely get the 25mm and 45mm lenses. Viewing the scene I plan on stitching would be a lot easier with a 2nd wider viewable angle. I am going to be making larger prints, hence the need for stitching.

Reactions: Advexure
@Sproesser: It looks like you have most of your answers, but I will chime in on a few open items for you.

1. Can I connect a X5S camera and gimbal(made for inspire 2) to an Inspire 1?
I think you understand this is not possible

2. Will the X5S produce better quality RAW photo files than the X5R, besides resolution?(dynamic range, Low light sensitivity, background noise, color)
Here are the couple items to consider on this question. Resolution is obviously higher on the X5S - I think you already knew that. Dynamic range has stayed the same spec (12.8 stops) on both cameras. As for low light, background noise and color - because both cameras are using the same size sensor, putting more pixels on the sensor makes the pixels smaller. Smaller pixels generally do not collect as much light and are more likely to create noise - but in the Inspire 2, DJI has introduced a whole new image processing engine and in theory could change image processing techniques easier as their technology improves. They should also have better noise control because of this. In general, as sensors have gotten newer and improved, their noise levels and low light capability has improved. Even with smaller pixels I think this favors the X5S. As for color, assuming you are capturing in RAW (DNG) your color bit depth should be excellent in both options.

3. Is the gimbal steady enough on the Inspire 1 pro for professional still photography? I like to be able to push shutter speed as long as possible.
Because you have asked about low light sensitivity and noise levels, I am guessing you will likely take images around dusk, twilight or at night. I think there is no doubt the Inspire 2 holds its GPS position much better than an Inspire 1 does - and has far less vertical movement while hovering in place. This will help you if you push for longer exposures. Also, the Inspire 2 has tripod mode. Its an extra slow stable mode you can activate and it will help you even further with precise hovering for long exposures. If you are only taking sunny daylight photos, either one can easily freeze actions and give a sharp crisp photo - but as you need more stability and longer exposures, the Inspire 2 will perform better.

Here is another combo for you to consider. You could get the base Inspire 2 (no extra video licenses) for $2999 and get the X5S without the DJI lens for $1399. This leaves you without a lens, but many people end up not using the DJI lens as much as some of the other lenses it supports so you could save an extra $500 and just buy the focal lengths you think you will need the most.

Hope thats helps get you all the answers you were looking for - and we, of course, stock all the items we have been chatting about. Let us know if you need any further help with this...

Michael
www.FloridaDroneSupply.com

Remember the Inspire 2 can be bought as a bare unit without the Codex, and with the X5s gives you a 20mp stills camera - the X5 is only 16mp which is why we upgraded from the 1 Pro to 2. You also have 2 batteries and other redundancy features.

Ok, Thanks. I have been comparing, and it looks like DJI doesn't offer the Inspire 1 with the X5R for less than $5,399. Meanwhile, I can get an Inspire 2 with 2 extra batteries, X5S, and extra props for $5290... I don't need the Pro RAW video licensing keys... If those prices hold true it seems like a no brainer!

the same logic pushed me to the i2 / x5s. i got the version without the DJI lens and started with the Olympus 45 and 17. although i was seriously eyeballing an i1 pro with x5r for ~2400.in the end i figured i might be kicking myself getting a used machine. super happy with the i2 so far!

You will like the 17mm oly. I had one and thought it actually shot better than the 12mm that everyone seems to favor. It is a tiny bit narrower FOV bit I thought it had better detail and even the color was better. Not to mention it was $150 less than the 12.

Reactions: PatrickP

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marve84