Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Class A Landing Mishap...???

Reaction score
So the situation is...I flew from Victoria, BC to Calgary, AB and when I arrived...despite the Fragile stickers on the case, one of the bottom 'bubbles' was busted off with just a stub left over. Westjet was nice enough to give me a flight credit and a number to call if anything else is 'untowards'...
20150130_152431.jpg
Well, this afternoon was my first chance to get out and fly. My first location was too windy for flying so I relocated to a sheltered park. I set it up, calibrated the compass and the IMU's just to be safe. Checked that all the props were on and definitely secure (no prop locks).
Lifted off and it kept wanting to drift downwards so I would give it more throttle. More throttle made it go more sideways. Tried to bring it on 'home' and sideways she goes again..into a hill...
20150130_152532.jpg
So I guess the question is. Is there a possibility that the impact that broke the bubble on the bottom of the case could have caused some internals to get thrown off that much? Or am I just a victim of a possible buggered uip unit like a the ones I've read about?

Prior to this flight I have hours upon hours of safe flights with my Phantom...and about 2 hours of really great flights with this unit in Victoria. Some advice would be greatly appreciated here.
...also...can we get our hands on these arms yet???

Sounds more like your remote was not in the correct 'mode' or the sticks weren't calibrated...

Best,

Ben

Also did you check the inspire case from DJI as luggage? I really think that it's not flight luggage worthy... A common sense look at the case will tell you it really will not stand up to being checked as baggage...

Finally, WJ might give you credit for the flight, but they won't fix your $3K heli if something breaks... and a 'fragile' sticker on a case is usually a message to baggage handlers to see how far they can throw it...

Best,

Ben

You're right through and through Ben. However, there was nothing wrong with the calibration on the sticks and it was in Mode 2 per usual.
iPad and phone were in airplane mode and there was only a mild breeze.
I had no choice for the luggage...I picked it up the day before I left...
?..but I doubt I can prove WJ did irreparable harm like you've said.

I had to take it with me in the carrying case it came in. I was very hesitant to do so, but couldn't miss out on the opportunity.

The ironic part is that I have my RMA from DJI and they consider their retail box to be incorrect packaging to ship it to them...lol.
Anyone have some suggestions on better packaging??? Is there an Otterbox for the Inspire..>???

Also did you check the inspire case from DJI as luggage? I really think that it's not flight luggage worthy... A common sense look at the case will tell you it really will not stand up to being checked as baggage...

+1

About the only thing that will make it Airline resistant (notice I didn;t say 'proof' there) is a Pelicase. They are 'nearly' indestructible and I will not trust my camera gear to any other brand.
Think of it as a percentage investment to protect your gear. A pelicase for the Inspire will probably set you back around $300 so 10% of the purchase price to protect your investment - Forever!

It's money well spent in my book.

Reactions: GenesisKnight
Plenty of choices... Put it in a box with packaging foam... Put it in another suitcase, wrapped in blanket or foam... Go to UPS store and ship it to your location in another box... etc...

Best,

Ben

Reactions: GenesisKnight
+1

About the only thing that will make it Airline resistant (notice I didn;t say 'proof' there) is a Pelicase. They are 'nearly' indestructible and I will not trust my camera gear to any other brand.
Think of it as a percentage investment to protect your gear. A pelicase for the Inspire will probably set you back around $300 so 10% of the purchase price to protect your investment - Forever!

It's money well spent in my book.
You're very right in this Editor...unfortunately it would seem that all of these cases that are becoming available are 'taking orders', or 'back ordered', are 'coming soon' or don't ship to Canada. That was the first thing that I started looking for...was even willing to pay airfreight to get it home in time for me to ship it out when I get home myself.
I actually called their support for a second time to ask about shipping acceptability. He told me to just put in in the case without the accessories and ship it in another box...like they were shipped to us. Thankfully I also have bubble wrap that will be going around the case...

Seeing that broken arm is sickening. I'm really sorry for you, GK! :(
I know Inspired...it was heartbreaking...like one of those slow motion videos where someone gets hit by a car and they go flying with limbs going in the wrong directions...lol
In the end...it is a thing that can be repaired, and in all reality, it's been a bit too cold to fly where I live right now.
I appreciate the sentiment! ;)

Well...it took them 10 days to actually check it in...(Delivery notice from Canada Post said received on Feb 13th).
...but I've just received the invoice and it's ready to come home apparently!
Guess I'll have to pay for shipping home as well...but it's great to know that Gizmo is coming home to Pappa!

Finally, WJ might give you credit for the flight, but they won't fix your $3K heli if something breaks... and a 'fragile' sticker on a case is usually a message to baggage handlers to see how far they can throw it...

Best,

Ben
Indeed, when I got mine, the case immediately says "don't ship me" To be fair, it's a great travel case, meaning it's perfect for you to put in your car or van and head out for a days shooting, but If I wanted to check the bird, I think the GoProfessional Case is way better. Or... Why not put the DJI case in a larger Pelican or similar protective/shock mounted shell. When you get to where you're going, you can shed the extra weight and run with the factory shell to your shoot site.

I did read that a serious shock can throw your accelerometer out of whack on a Phantom so why not the Inspire too right? There's a link to problem solving that issue on the Phantom Forum.

Good luck

You're very right in this Editor...unfortunately it would seem that all of these cases that are becoming available are 'taking orders', or 'back ordered', are 'coming soon' or don't ship to Canada. That was the first thing that I started looking for...was even willing to pay airfreight to get it home in time for me to ship it out when I get home myself.
I actually called their support for a second time to ask about shipping acceptability. He told me to just put in in the case without the accessories and ship it in another box...like they were shipped to us. Thankfully I also have bubble wrap that will be going around the case...
Go Professional Cases has a GORGEOUS flight case in stock. I got mine this week direct from them. $429. Custom water-jet cut for our beloved Inspire1.
http://goprofessionalcases.com/shopcases/dji-inspire-1-case.html

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomasovinido