Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Compass error, Legs Lowered

Reaction score
On my way back from a fly out I received a compass error.

The mode switched to atti (not a big deal since I can fly this way too), so I continued to fly it back to me lowering the craft on the way back, and then I noticed that the landing gear started lowering by it self when it was about 30 feet high so I put them back up manually, and then they lowered again at 10 foot.

I just landed and went home at this point, but does anyone know what could have caused this?

Screen Shot 2016-01-06 at 9.41.23 PM.png

Last edited:
Your I1 it looks like thought it was near the ground ( altitude 0 ft), possibly a sonar error although I've seen some weird readings from a compass error caused by IMU readings confusing the flight controller and overloading it trying to figure out where it is in real world.

Did you switch to atti mode on RC or just the app message?

What was your mod values preflight?

I'd suggest a IMU cal, compass cal and testing a couple of flights in close. If it still is coming up, would not hurt to send in flydat files to DJI to see what they say.

Reactions: ringolong

The mode switched to atti (not a big deal since I can fly this way too), so I continued to fly it back to me lowering the craft on the way back, and then I noticed that the landing gear started lowering by it self when it was about 30 feet high so I put them back up manually, and then they lowered again at 10 foot.

I just landed and went home at this point, but does anyone know what could have caused this?

View attachment 5510
Hello, yes I have actually had this happen to me regarding the landing gear. Only one time my I1 lowered the landing gear at around 53 feet. I did not have a compass error. Like you I switched to atti to land because I was unsure of why it happened. I did find out later that the KP was about 8 that day. This should not have had any bearing on the landing gear but I thought I would mention it. I'm thinking maybe the compass error caused the landing gear to lower

View attachment 5510
I would definitely send the flight data to DJI and get a real idea of what happened. I would not fly until I have some real information. Best of luck.

Thanks for the support guys!

I am going to refresh the firmware, and recalibrate it to be on the safe side. I have not performed any calibration in 46 flights.

Your I1 it looks like thought it was near the ground ( altitude 0 ft), possibly a sonar error although I've seen some weird readings from a compass error caused by IMU readings confusing the flight controller and overloading it trying to figure out where it is in real world.

Did you switch to atti mode on RC or just the app message?

What was your mod values preflight?

I'd suggest a IMU cal, compass cal and testing a couple of flights in close. If it still is coming up, would not hurt to send in flydat files to DJI to see what they say.

I think you may have read his logs wrong, the 0 Altitude you mentioned was at the beginning of his flight before he took off. At the time the landing gear lowered he was approx 30 feet in the air. I have seen it before around that height when you are close to home (in this case 73 Feet away) and descending, the Adaptive landing gear thinks your coming in for a landing so it will lower the gear.

To me this really doesn't look like hardware error. it looks to me like the adaptive landing gear just thought you were coming in for a landing due to the 30 foot height, and your rate of decent, as well as your close proximity to home point.

I think you may have read his logs wrong, the 0 Altitude you mentioned was at the beginning of his flight before he took off. At the time the landing gear lowered he was approx 30 feet in the air. I have seen it before around that height when you are close to home (in this case 73 Feet away) and descending, the Adaptive landing gear thinks your coming in for a landing so it will lower the gear.

To me this really doesn't look like hardware error. it looks to me like the adaptive landing gear just thought you were coming in for a landing due to the 30 foot height, and your rate of decent, as well as your close proximity to home point.

Thank you for your input. This sounds like the best explination that I have heard so far.

Reactions: Jason Boucher

View attachment 5510
As mentioned above - check your mod values prior to take off.
I would (gently) blow air around the sonar sensors to clean them as well as the bottom facing VPS camera.
Additionally, see what setting you have self adaptive landing gear set to. Whichever it is switch it to the other state and power cycle the Inspire/remote/app. Then turn it back to the setting of your choice.

As mentioned above - check your mod values prior to take off.
I would (gently) blow air around the sonar sensors to clean them as well as the bottom facing VPS camera.
Additionally, see what setting you have self adaptive landing gear set to. Whichever it is switch it to the other state and power cycle the Inspire/remote/app. Then turn it back to the setting of your choice.

Thanks for the advise Editor.

Do you know where the sonar sensors are located on this machine?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
THE FLYING LIZARD