Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Corrosion issues?

Reaction score
G'day All,
Searched and didn't find much about specifics on corrosion. I live on the coast and play/work the SaltLife.
For those that operate in corrosive environments, what areas should I pay attention to on my Inspire (w/ QD props)?
From what I've seen (and read), the motor mount hardware looks to be susceptible. Any other areas that need scrutiny?

Understood on contaminant adherence when using corrosion preventive compounds.

Thanks,

G'day All,
Searched and didn't find much about specifics on corrosion. I live on the coast and play/work the SaltLife.
For those that operate in corrosive environments, what areas should I pay attention to on my Inspire (w/ QD props)?
From what I've seen (and read), the motor mount hardware looks to be susceptible. Any other areas that need scrutiny?

Understood on contaminant adherence when using corrosion preventive compounds.

Thanks,
As well as the areas you mention:
Battery contact/data pins
Wormscrew drive
Landing gear pivots/fulcrum
Gimbal connection/locking cam (although this is greased it can become 'crusty'

You'll find that the major problem is oxidation on copper wiring - its a real problem in the marine industry - you can strip back a copper wire and its black in color.

I really don't think its a problem for occasional use.

what about nanowaterproofing spray that one can get?
it will make a layer on the pcb or electronics without changeing anything apart from making it waterproof and short proof.
I forgot the spray name. sorry. will check and post it.
would like to know your opinions
cheers

EDIT: here it is: Nanoprotech Electric - nedvesség, rövidzárlat és korrózió ellen - Ragasztástechnika, ipari tisztítóanyagok
it is against corrosion and shorts. question is how much would I have to strip the I1 to spray it where I have to. I occasionally fly over water and sometimes really humid or foggy weather.

EDIT 2: here is the "PRO" version: Nanoprotech Electric Profi- nedvesség, rövidzárlat és korrózió ellen - Ragasztástechnika, ipari tisztítóanyagok

Last edited:
what about nanowaterproofing spray that one can get?
it will make a layer on the pcb or electronics without changeing anything apart from making it waterproof and short proof.
I forgot the spray name. sorry. will check and post it.
would like to know your opinions
cheers

EDIT: here it is: Nanoprotech Electric - nedvesség, rövidzárlat és korrózió ellen - Ragasztástechnika, ipari tisztítóanyagok
it is against corrosion and shorts. question is how much would I have to strip the I1 to spray it where I have to. I occasionally fly over water and sometimes really humid or foggy weather.

EDIT 2: here is the "PRO" version: Nanoprotech Electric Profi- nedvesség, rövidzárlat és korrózió ellen - Ragasztástechnika, ipari tisztítóanyagok

Interesting concept. I'll have to check out that website later. I'm thinking it is a fluid thin film type coating (FTFC).

Primo_NYC started a thread on corrosion as well here:
Cleaning aircraft after salt water humidity exposure? | DJI Inspire Forum

As stated in that thread, I've used Corrosion-X and other similar Mil-Spec'd 81309 type products for 20+ years on helicopters. They are FTFC and do work on electronics. Well enough that some 81309 products are sprayed directly on electronics and into the pins of electrical connectors prior to installation.
Here's what folks in RC Groups have to say about Corrosion-X on electronics.
Corrosion X for waterproofing electronics? - RC Groups

I will say this based on experience. If my Inspire ever got dunked, I would immediately soak everything but the props with Corrosion-X and/or other 81309 type products. Reason is these FTFC products are made to displace water. They will "drain" off leaving a thin film for protection and not affect the electronics.

Would like to test it on my Inspire, but my wife would cap me if I bought another one just for "testing". And I didn't win the lottery last night. And I'm sure my "treatment" would void the warranty. Might get a used one sometime, though.....

You might hear of a television that is functioning while immersed in an aquarium full of Corrosion-X. I saw it first-hand at a corrosion conference a decade ago.
Will check out your website, I'm always interested!

Interesting concept. I'll have to check out that website later. I'm thinking it is a fluid thin film type coating (FTFC).

Primo_NYC started a thread on corrosion as well here:
Cleaning aircraft after salt water humidity exposure? | DJI Inspire Forum

As stated in that thread, I've used Corrosion-X and other similar Mil-Spec'd 81309 type products for 20+ years on helicopters. They are FTFC and do work on electronics. Well enough that some 81309 products are sprayed directly on electronics and into the pins of electrical connectors prior to installation.
Here's what folks in RC Groups have to say about Corrosion-X on electronics.
Corrosion X for waterproofing electronics? - RC Groups

I will say this based on experience. If my Inspire ever got dunked, I would immediately soak everything but the props with Corrosion-X and/or other 81309 type products. Reason is these FTFC products are made to displace water. They will "drain" off leaving a thin film for protection and not affect the electronics.

Would like to test it on my Inspire, but my wife would cap me if I bought another one just for "testing". And I didn't win the lottery last night. And I'm sure my "treatment" would void the warranty. Might get a used one sometime, though.....

You might hear of a television that is functioning while immersed in an aquarium full of Corrosion-X. I saw it first-hand at a corrosion conference a decade ago.
Will check out your website, I'm always interested!

I checked with the shop and the pro compared to the "non pro" are the same. what it does is exactly what you say. it does make a ultra thin film on the PCB or whatever you spray it on or into. the guy told me even molded switches worked under water. also tried drilling machines and you only have to take off one side of the unit. I have two I1. one B and one D version. B will be my experiment for treatment. apparently russians have developed it and while using it, it makes a fog like mist and penetrates into everything and everywhere. I do fly over water at times and when not summer oder spring weather is kind of S**T so I would have to wait until it stops raining or snowing. with the nano protection I would be able to do shooting within those conditions not harming my electronics. - will have to find someone here that can give me a detailed explanation on how to strip the bird so I can spray it in. the film is apparently a light yellowish color and only noticeable on white background components.
I ordered two cans. will report back and try to make pics while doing everything. there is a company in Cali that is doing nano technology coating. firstly for phones and tablets and iPADS.
the company is called liquipel. I am aiming to get their distributorship for my country. iPhone and such can all be treated. they also have a really good screen foil that is overkill in terms of trying to break the screen.
I am not affiliated with them nor work for them, they just have a really awesome product.

I will test, check, make pics and report back here for you and others for info :D
cheers.
m

I checked with the shop and the pro compared to the "non pro" are the same. what it does is exactly what you say. it does make a ultra thin film on the PCB or whatever you spray it on or into. the guy told me even molded switches worked under water. also tried drilling machines and you only have to take off one side of the unit. I have two I1. one B and one D version. B will be my experiment for treatment. apparently russians have developed it and while using it, it makes a fog like mist and penetrates into everything and everywhere. I do fly over water at times and when not summer oder spring weather is kind of S**T so I would have to wait until it stops raining or snowing. with the nano protection I would be able to do shooting within those conditions not harming my electronics. - will have to find someone here that can give me a detailed explanation on how to strip the bird so I can spray it in. the film is apparently a light yellowish color and only noticeable on white background components.
I ordered two cans. will report back and try to make pics while doing everything. there is a company in Cali that is doing nano technology coating. firstly for phones and tablets and iPADS.
the company is called liquipel. I am aiming to get their distributorship for my country. iPhone and such can all be treated. they also have a really good screen foil that is overkill in terms of trying to break the screen.
I am not affiliated with them nor work for them, they just have a really awesome product.

I will test, check, make pics and report back here for you and others for info :D
cheers.
m
Sounds great! Looking forward to seeing your results and conclusions.

ok. I managed to spray the battery and my hitachi drill that goes to it. pic are below. I disassembled the units and applied the spray like stated on the can. 20-30 cm away from the part you want to treat.
it does smell a bit oily and seems like it does put on a thin film around and over all the parts. creeps and drops into every little hole :)
I will have to wait 24 hours to have the spray take effect (I am guessing dry) then I will reassemble and try it in a bowl of water. I hope I did apply it good. I sprayed it into the motor and also gave it a top-shot on the components. if that works I will have a try on the Inspire 1.
my brother lives in the US, I asked him if he could send me the 4oz pump can over from one of these:

Corrosion Block, 4oz Spray

to me so I can make a comparison test. we´ll see :)
I will post my results and videos here :D
wish me best of luck.

Attachments

• IMG_0513.JPG
    IMG_0513.JPG
    796.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0514.JPG
    IMG_0514.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0515.JPG
    IMG_0515.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0516.JPG
    IMG_0516.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0517.JPG
    IMG_0517.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Phatzo, looks great. Thanks for the link to the Corrosion Block. I've heard of it, just have'nt looked into it.

I hit those two links from your first post above last night. Didn't drink enough Don Julio to decipher them, though:D. Spanish would be ok.

Post your results, I'm interested.

its hungarian :) lol - try google translate. should be ok.
in general it is good for all electronics, pcb, switches etc... anything that runs on electricity. makes it short and waterproof. works for up to a year in good conditions also on moving parts like brushed motors. from -20 to +150 Centigrade if i recall correctly. i treated my hitchi as you can see and will test it tomorrow after the 24 hours have past away :)
will report if i felt some tikle and smoke or if i was able to screw down something within the bucket full with water. i hope i did a right treatment and works out fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

its hungarian :) lol - try google translate. should be ok.
in general it is good for all electronics, pcb, switches etc... anything that runs on electricity. makes it short and waterproof. works for up to a year in good conditions also on moving parts like brushed motors. from -20 to +150 Centigrade if i recall correctly. i treated my hitchi as you can see and will test it tomorrow after the 24 hours have past away :)
will report if i felt some tikle and smoke or if i was able to screw down something within the bucket full with water. i hope i did a right treatment and works out fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hungarian! That's why I was doing ao_Oo_Oo_O! HahaI
I hope it all works ok for you.

ok, guys :) I did it. I risked to ruin my 180USD battery powered Hitachi drill and submerged it underwater after I treated it with the russian nanotech oil based spray I got here in my country. - the only one I found. I did order the "no corrosion" from the US and hope to have same to better results since the US version leaves no oily film on the units or parts. nevertheless here comes the video (uploading....) - and the long awaited answer: YES IT DOES WORK. first as you can see in my video which then stopped at the point where I actually recover from the shock and check if it really smoked or not but after taking out the battery and putting it back in it did work normally and also for longer time so what you see in the video is probably due to me letting it run dry and then putting it into water which made it stop and let me think I smoked it but due to the small amount of memory the iPhone has you can´t see that part I just explained :) I will remake it and put it up on my youtube channel with an unlisted link.

cheers.
Martin

ok. here is the shocking video due to not enough space on my iPhone.
result is: it works fine although not continously submerged under water but when taken out and dripped off it works fine with no issues.

so here is part two I did after I had to delete some stuff off the iPhone to make this one.
I do confirm again that it does work and also works fine. no harm done to the hitachi or me. waterproof.

the drill stopped because the battery ran out of power :D checked it with the non treated battery and the hitachi works like a charm :D

Last edited:
ok. update :)
I did buy the "no corrosion" aka corrosion block from the US. I also did a test with a smartphone.

the product seems to be similar to the russian version but has a different color and works in an instant.
the pump spray bottle I got with my order does more jet spray instead of a mist to spread the product on the PCB for eg. resulting in dripping all over the place LOL. but it worked ok. here a little video I made minutes after I had treated the phone with it putting it into a open cut water bottle still working. the speaker worked fine once I blew the water out of it and let dry for a bit.

it does make a thin film over the PCB or whatever you put it on but you do not have to wait 24 hours like the russian version.
i probably overkilled it with the pump spray as I kind of soaked LOL I will try to get a spray that makes a mist instead of jet stream or maybe a brush.
I will make more tests and report back here for all of us. - good stuff it is though.
I would like to know if liquipel is capable of treating the inspire and how much you have to strip it down so they can fit it in their vacuum box for treatment.

sidenote: it is a corrosion blocker with the ability to prevent shorts and is not intended for submerging electronical devices. it is for the protection of such in case of getting in contact with water or fluid to not short the circuits and fry itself.

the phone works since had to let it dry a bit.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JudyLions