Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Could a drone be avoided

Outside of a few rare approaches, an airplane is only going to be below 500 feet within 2 miles of the end of a runway.

I was with helicopter company attached to a Marine Expeditionary Unit, we use to land on the deck of our ship constantly. I had to remind myself to stop looking at the ship during flight opps because the deck of the ship was all over the place. I don't know how those guys could do it. It was nerve-racking for me watching the boat sway up, down, side to side while dangling on a rope.

Reactions: slim.slamma
Well just a thought if an individual was considering flying in and around airport's.
Be thoughtful of others.

When on an approach in instrument conditions, the entire area occupied by the approach procedure is cleared of traffic. ATC only lets them in one at a time...

If there are multiple airplanes arriving at the same time that must use the same approach and they can't stagger them in by speed, one gets cleared for the approach and the others get a hold.

So no, there is no provision in the system (other than TCAS) by which an airplane on an approach may avoid another aircraft. So drones will likely never be allowed to fly around the ends of runways.

Reactions: slim.slamma
Wait until cars go fully autonomous, linked to other vehicles, and drive in zero visibility fog or snow white-outs while doing 65 MPH. That will be interesting looking through a windshield.

I think there's less of a barrier to this with cars than aircraft, to be honest. An acquaintance who did some contract IT work for the FAA aptly described the organization as "a computing museum," lol.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
engko