Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Crashed my Inspire 1 (I'm a fool)

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First of all..sorry for my poor english..

It was the weekend so i have plenty of time to fly around with 3 fully charged battery pack. Everything when smoothly as planned, outdoor angle, indoor angle. Done! went back home to check the footage and **** i forgot to take off the ND filter off when filming indoor and footage is underexpose. Fully charge the 3 battery pack again and went out for 2nd indoor take.

As what i usually do when flying indoor…do all the pre-flight check list, flick the flight mode to A-Altitide and off we go. It was drifting around which is expected when flying in Altitude mode. Flew the quadcopter around to check for view angle and as i was so hooked on viewing the video feed on the DJI GO app..the quadcopter drifted ever so slightly backward...

then BANG! it hit the glass lift structure and chipped the propeller. It then dropped 15 feet to the ground and landed on the rear-left landing gear which bend it a bit and blew the white shock absorber cover. The force of that impact disconnected the battery pack and the whole gimbal mounting from the rubber join.

It then bounces around and finally landed in a pool of water totally submerging the whole Inspire 1 including the battery pack and camera..EVERYTHING!

Made a mad dash to rescue the downed drone and wipe off any water. Went home and disassemble everything to dry it up part by part. Reassemble and when i started it, 3 out of 4 legs LED is yellow in colour. The DJI GO app will give out "ESC Board Error" on every attempt to start the craft for take off. Disassemble – Reassemble, then **** same error! but now 1 out of 4 legs.

The gimbal on the other hand is ok but i decided to take it apart anyway just to dry up any moisture.

After an exhaustive Disassemble – Reassemble..10:35pm the Inspire 1 made the expected beeping sound when started and there is no yellow LED on each of the legs. Start Sequence and yehuuu.. Did an IMU calibration and took it out for a quick flight.

100% back in business.

P.S: reminder to everyone..don’t get too distracted by the video feed when you are flying as a single pilot.

Here is the video footage on that fateful day..

Nice footage until the blade strike. I never fly without an observer for just this reason. Another positive comment is that your English is excellent!

Reactions: Glen
Buy a set of prop guards for indoor flying.
I have a set for this purpose and they have saved my inspire from a tumble on more than one occasion!

Reactions: CopterBob
The first thing to do if you crash into water:
If your unlucky, the battery will still be in the machine
If your lucky like me the battery was ejected prior to being submerged. Therefore nothing shorted, if you crash in salt alter remove battery and submerge in fresh water und do 360 degrees turns for a while . The. Remove and shake dry. Then submerge totally in Methylated Spirits for a long while 360 tilting overnight. Metho is water soluble also use if you have water in petrol tank of your car. Totally dry under heat lamps in a rubbish bin This is defiantly a last resort. It worked for me and I'm still flying months 6 months later and I'm sur DJI WOULD HAVE SOMTHING TO SAY ONTHIS

the only issue as of today is the landing gear on occasion got stuck and wont go up or down midflight. But it happens on random so i'm guessing it has something to do with the sensor. The only way to fix that currently is to manually adjust the leg position by turning the screw underneath and switch it on and off again.

Yeh man!
That's the classic symptom of the acoustic stereo module failure,
And if that's all you got wrong you've done very well as its relatively cheap to replace
Well done

As said its the most common symptom of that cause
I.e. Intermittent random landing gear action,
You should be able to investigate further by powering up craft and Rv then manually lifting and lowering the craft 1200 to 1500mmm up and down slowly by hand and you may hear the gear interact and then not follow through, should give a reasonable indication what's not working, if water damaged and only going on previous exp I'd bet money it's the unerneat stereoscopic thingy what don't drink water what be damnednobloodygoodnomore

As said its the most common symptom of that cause
I.e. Intermittent random landing gear action,
You should be able to investigate further by powering up craft and Rv then manually lifting and lowering the craft 1200 to 1500mmm up and down slowly by hand and you may hear the gear interact and then not follow through, should give a reasonable indication what's not working, if water damaged and only going on previous exp I'd bet money it's the unerneat stereoscopic thingy what don't drink water what be damnednobloodygoodnomore
The sonar module does NOT affect landing servo operation in manual mode though and has nothing to do with it in that mode.
Additionally, if your Inspire is reporting low altitude height data with the associated symbol on the screen there is nothing wrong with your sonar.
It is far more likely to be a sluggish landing gear transformation servo or simply a landing gear adjustment.

With your Inspire in landing mode, turn the wormscrew drive 1/8th of a turn in the direction of flight mode. Then lubricate the length of the drive with a silcon grease compound.
Operate the gear manually several times to see of that clears the issue.

I'm just saying what DJI Told me

I suggest you look before you leap collie dog

i didn't say manual mode, you did
I suggested manually by hand lowering and raising the craft,
And if as you say it has nothing to with the landing gear
WOW IT MUST BE REALLY SUPER INTELLIGENT
UNLIKE SOME

I'm just saying what DJI Told me

I suggest you look before you leap collie dog

i didn't say manual mode, you did
I suggested manually by hand lowering and raising the craft,
And if as you say it has nothing to with the landing gear
WOW IT MUST BE REALLY SUPER INTELLIGENT
UNLIKE SOME
EXACTLY my point - in manual mode the sonar is taken out of the equation in respect controlling the landing gear function which means if the action is still intermittent it is a mechanical issue.
I also said that if the VPS module is reporting height data there is nothing wrong with it. Unfortunately the people on the other end of the phone at DJI are nothing more than telephone operators who work off a script - they have never stripped down or worked on a multirotor in their life.

I would appreciate less of the attitude as well - 14 posts on the forum and making sarcastic comments to a moderator is not the best start.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry