Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Crystal Sky Question [no search result]

Reaction score
Website
www.proskymedia.com
Hey all.

Can those who can speak to whether or not it's worth having the Crystal Sky Ultra Brightness versus High Brightness?

I've done a search on this forum and only found many speaking to them loving their ultra bright screens. No one has had both, used both, and objectively mentioned if they are worth it.

As a legitimate business owner, I need to justify if 2000 nits is worth the 300-dollar opportunity cost per single screen.

Sincerely
Zach

Reactions: Helicek Ahmet
Good question, we are definitely hearing almost everyday that folks are happy they’ve gone with the Ultra.

@boefinator should be able to provide some insight. They have run both the High and Ultra and can speak to their real world experience first hand.

We have been very happy with the Ultras and all demos we’ve done for folks wanting to see the difference have all seen the benefit going with the Ultra.

Thanks Travis.

This kind of insight would be ideal. I question objectivity when it's only an Ultra Bright. It's more likely to justify one's purchase than it is to find someone willing to admit they purchased more than they need and regret it simply because they wanted "bigger, better, more."

I will offer up my opinion. I looked at both before going with the CrystalSky (non-ultra). All things being equal, the ultra is noticeably brighter but, even my 61yo eyes see the regular CrystalSky just fine. Also note that while not a huge issue to me but, perhaps for some is, the Ultra will eat a battery much faster than a regular CS. If $ is no object, go for biggest and brightest. From a business perspective you need to think about service cycle (what a nightmare with DJI) and ROI. You can bet DJI will launch the "CrystalSky Supernova" shortly after you purchase whatever is going to be your choice and cut the value of what you have by 50% within a year. With the advancement of the state of the science and art of UAVs moving so rapidly at present, you are catching a falling knife no matter what.

Hey all.

Can those who can speak to whether or not it's worth having the Crystal Sky Ultra Brightness versus High Brightness?

I've done a search on this forum and only found many speaking to them loving their ultra bright screens. No one has had both, used both, and objectively mentioned if they are worth it.

As a legitimate business owner, I need to justify if 2000 nits is worth the 300-dollar opportunity cost per single screen.

Sincerely
Zach
I have one of each and the size and the ultra are definitely worth the extra cost!!!! Not even a question.

Good question, we are definitely hearing almost everyday that folks are happy they’ve gone with the Ultra.

@boefinator should be able to provide some insight. They have run both the High and Ultra and can speak to their real world experience first hand.

We have been very happy with the Ultras and all demos we’ve done for folks wanting to see the difference have all seen the benefit going with the Ultra.
As Travis mentioned we have in fact use both side by side in real world missions. A small anecdote from a recent deployment where were used both Crystal Sky monitor side by side. I was flying as pilot-in-command with a camera operator who was using the high bright. I noticed that he kept looking over my shoulder and I asked him what he was doing. He said it was way easier to see on my screen then on his especially with sunglasses. Anecdotal evidence notwithstanding, when we are only using the high brights we were blown away compared to an iPad or Galaxy Note 4 or Galaxy S7 Edge or iPhone 6s. They do in fact eat up batteries at about 1 per hour. As far as the business proposition goes, I can't speak to that, I fly Public Safety where we need the absolute best we can get. I can say however that there is a noticeable and distinct difference between the high and ultra bright. Cost-wise the extra couple hundred dollars was a no-brainer for us given the distinct operational advantages. Your mileage may vary!

I have all three crystalskys and the Ultra is the one I use the most. Outside in the sun the ultra bright shines (pun fully intended).
My question, is it clear enough without a shade to actually allow for good photography? Does it allow to see focus in detail? Does everyone prefer a CS to having a good set of goggles? If there is such a thing. I'm curious if anyone here has compared a CS to the Epson AR Glasses.

My question, is it clear enough without a shade to actually allow for good photography? Does it allow to see focus in detail? Does everyone prefer a CS to having a good set of goggles? If there is such a thing. I'm curious if anyone here has compared a CS to the Epson AR Glasses.
I can't speak to the comparison to the Epson gear but, I have the CS and DJI Googles and think trying to pull a really sharp manual focus is difficult in both. I LOVE to fly with the DJI Goggles on but, they are significantly lower resolution because the screen is effectively blown up to full view. With the CS, in full sun or shade, judging the sharpness of a focus is difficult. While the screen is plenty bright, I have challenges discerning a good sharp edge on distant objects.

Reactions: Mixchief
Not only is personal preference key in this debate but also your operating area, an ultra for me in UK sunlight is just overkill.

I've never had the Epson on before but I do own a pair of Avegent Glyphs which are also 720p and I'll stick with the CS Ultra. Whatever you use I think focus assist is a must because of the limitations of LightBridge. The Ultra maybe overkill in brightness for some but you can always turn down the brightness.

I have both and have been very happy with the Ultra. Having said that, the High brightness model is still very good and both are easily viewable, but the difference is obvious in comparison. The Ultra does eat batteries, but you always have the option to turn it down.

If I were just buying one, I'd get the Ultra. If I needed multiple units it would be a harder decision.

I have both and have been very happy with the Ultra. Having said that, the High brightness model is still very good and both are easily viewable, but the difference is obvious in comparison. The Ultra does eat batteries, but you always have the option to turn it down.

If I were just buying one, I'd get the Ultra. If I needed multiple units it would be a harder decision.
Do you have the 7.85 Ultra? Could I ask where you purchased please?

Hey all.

Sincerely
Zach
We also have and use both. In FL the extra brightness option is very useful but if its not mid afternoon in the glaring sun you can definitely turn the brightness down and save some battery. It is nice to have the additional brightness available if and when you want it.

Yes, both of mine are the 7.85 versions, one High Brightness and one Ultra, and both are a big help in the Florida sun.

I acquired mine under rather special circumstances, and you would not be able to use the same source anyway. I would recommend one of the excellent dealers in this thread.

Hi @Joemandoo, yes 7.85" Ultras are in stock here at Advexure. Link below.

DJI CrystalSky Monitor – 7.85" CrystalSky Ultra Bright Video Monitor

Give us a shout with any questions. Mounting brackets and cases are also in stock for them. Free expedited shipping. Many of our dealers across the US also have stock. If you want to possibly arrange to see one in person if you're on the fence between 2000 nit and 1000 nit we can connect you with one of our local dealers depending on your location. Cheers!

Reactions: boefinator
(Side note, how do you take people?)

To what @Dr. Ifly Drones said, this would open up a door to the question: If the Ultra bright only lasts 1 hour, what does the bright last? One hour is NOT a long time when you consider our remotes can last at least half a day. For a full day shoot you need, what, 5 batteries? This way the first one you use will be done charging by the time your last one is spent.

To what @boefinator said and one additional question for those with this experience, I as do not have it yet:

I understand it's WAY better than any iPad. I currently have an iPad pro I got in anticipation of flying an inspire 2. With the FPV camera on the Inspire 2, I had imagined that having my iPad pro 13" screen would be great for screen real estate because you can easily see the FPV camera view at the size of "almost" an iPhone 6. Is this of no concern?

Again, thank you guys. I've found this community so helpful since I've joined with the few questions I've asked so far.

I will add that there really was only one reason I went to the CS. Even at it's brightest my iPhone 6+ was very difficult to see in daylight and a visor was mandatory for my vision which, is excellent. Now, if you can see your current screen OK, I'm not sure I would invest the money. In reality the CS is nothing more than a very bright Android tablet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters