Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

CrystalSky backlight failure - quick fix

Reaction score
I have read of other people experiencing sudden failure of the backlight on their CrystalSky monitors, so I wasn’t too surprised when the backlight in mine went off without warning.

I could see that the unit was still working as it made a sound if turned on & off and showed a very feint image if viewed at the correct angle. I tried removing & replacing the battery and restarting it without success.

Just as I was preparing to send the CrystalSky back for repair (and for no particular reason) I held the top and bottom buttons in for a few seconds and to my surprise, the backlight came back on!

Problem solved....

..... your mileage may vary..

Interesting. I'll have to remember to try that if it happens to me again. The dealer I bought from told me that the failure rate is well over 30% on CrystalSky. I returned mine and got received a new one a day or two later. So far so good - not a single issue.

Interesting. I'll have to remember to try that if it happens to me again. The dealer I bought from told me that the failure rate is well over 30% on CrystalSky. I returned mine and got received a new one a day or two later. So far so good - not a single issue.
Are you guys talking of the Ultrabright or the Standard 1000 nit as well? I have had the 1000 nit one for over a month and not a single issue. I got one warning of "temperature too high" but nothing else.

Mine is an Ultrabright, which seems to be where the problem is most acute.

Even without the backlight issue the Crytalsky hasn’t proved to be very reliable. I recon that either the app crashes or the whole unit hangs about one in twenty flights.

This unreliability has lead me to select the iPad for any critical shots and only use the Crystalsky for non critical takes, where I can shoot again if it hangs mid shot.

Am I the only one experiencing these issues?

I have two 7.85" ultrabrights. One had the back light problem and was returned to DJI repair in L.A after less than a dozen flights with it.. It was received there on 22 Feb 18 and verified on 23 Feb 18. I was hoping for an immediate replacement. I have not received a replacement as of 03 April. That is a lot of flying days without a crystal sky for the camera operator. I have a feeling that DJI is so over whelmed with returns that they are way behind in making replacements. I really enjoy the other CS and have had no problems with it so far. To see the information and photos on the screen on sunny days without the bother of shades is important to me. However, I need that second CS.

Reactions: jlo
I have the UltraBright 7.85 as well. The first one went dark on one side within the first 15 minutes of use. I ordered a second one and it has been working perfectly. @MrTVR, I have never had the app crash on my UB CrystalSky. Something is not right.

Mr TVR , I have the UltraBright 7.85 as well, exactly the same happened, came across the fix by mistake, after going through the DJI help desk and just before the courier came to pick up the faulty unit ! I went back to the help desk and told them the fix, they seemed totally uninterested !!! It would be interesting if they ask anybody to press both buttons with this problem now

Reactions: MrTVR
I have two 7.85" ultrabrights. One had the back light problem and was returned to DJI repair in L.A after less than a dozen flights with it.. It was received there on 22 Feb 18 and verified on 23 Feb 18. I was hoping for an immediate replacement. I have not received a replacement as of 03 April. That is a lot of flying days without a crystal sky for the camera operator. I have a feeling that DJI is so over whelmed with returns that they are way behind in making replacements. I really enjoy the other CS and have had no problems with it so far. To see the information and photos on the screen on sunny days without the bother of shades is important to me. However, I need that second CS.

Do they have an explanation for the delay? Never mind...I forgot. It is made by DJI.

I have the UltraBright 7.85 as well. The first one went dark on one side within the first 15 minutes of use. I ordered a second one and it has been working perfectly. @MrTVR, I have never had the app crash on my UB CrystalSky. Something is not right.
Hi there

I have two CS Ultra.
One went dark in the right-hand corner. Like yours, within some minutes after first use. Got it replaced two days later.
Now no problems so far.

Regards,

Sent mine back , took 2 months, they have now changed out the screen with a upgraded vers. works perfect now, they even sent me it new in sealed box with the charger and 2 battery's , I thought wow, extra battery's and a second charger now. sweet.

The delay was they had to wait for the new shipments from China , before they could sent all the new units out.

Is this on the new shipment they just got? as mine is rock solid so far from last week

OK, great in a way, LOL as the one I sent in was purchased in DEC as well. I really think they upgraded the screen on these new shipments that arrived this month.

I keep reading about this device. I'd never seen it but I continue to read many complaints about the quality. It appears rather pricey for what it is. I can't say if it's good or bad but if there's this many complaints I'm definitely going to avoid buying this device.

Reactions: Pixar
I keep reading about this device. I'd never seen it but I continue to read many complaints about the quality. It appears rather pricey for what it is. I can't say if it's good or bad but if there's this many complaints I'm definitely going to avoid buying this device.
If you get a good one, it's well worth the money. The first time you fly in bright sunlight with this thing you will never want to go back to a standard tablet. That being said, the trick is to get a good one.

I have read of other people experiencing sudden failure of the backlight on their CrystalSky monitors, so I wasn’t too surprised when the backlight in mine went off without warning.

I could see that the unit was still working as it made a sound if turned on & off and showed a very feint image if viewed at the correct angle. I tried removing & replacing the battery and restarting it without success.

Just as I was preparing to send the CrystalSky back for repair (and for no particular reason) I held the top and bottom buttons in for a few seconds and to my surprise, the backlight came back on!

Problem solved....

..... your mileage may vary..

That Is Great to Know, the one I got my [UB] in November and it failed shortly thereafter. It Finally got replaced around March 1. That one went black on the second flight. I waited for about a week with the battery out and when I tried it, the backlight came on. [However half the screen was gray]. I guess the two solutions are push the two buttons or leave the battery out for a week.,
I run it now and half brightness with 1/2 dark screen waiting for DJI to get the new versions in.

It's great when works!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
codymorgan