Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

CrystalSky on Osmo – Mounting Solution & Video Adapter

Reaction score
Website
www.advexure.com
Since the release of the CrystalSky Monitor there has been a lot of discussion about compatibility with the Osmo. The CrystalSky Monitor is fully compatible with the Osmo, Osmo+, Osmo Pro and Osmo RAW.

DJI has released a CrystalSky Mount for the Osmo which connects to the Osmo's rosette mount for easy, secure mounting on an Osmo Handheld Gimbal.

CrystalSky - Osmo Pro:RAW Mounting Bracket.png

DJI CrystalSky OSMO Pro & RAW Mounting Bracket – Part 4 – $79
(Download User Guide for Osmo Pro/RAW Mounting Bracket)

When connecting the CrystalSky to Osmo Pro or RAW for professional work it is best to use a wired connection (to reduce latency) and to do so you will need the Wired Video Adapter which converts the video signal to a USB signal allowing you to plug in CrystalSky Monitor or Android device (not compatible with iOS devices).

DJI Osmo Pro:RAW Wired Video Adapter – Part 94.png

DJI Osmo Pro/RAW Wired Video Adapter – Part 94 – $19

Should you have any questions regarding use of the CrystalSky with Osmo leave them here on this thread and our team will be happy to further assist.

Happy shooting!
-The Advexure Team :cool:

Reactions: cvanhoose
According to DJI technical support, the Crystal Sky is NOT fully compatible with the Osmo, and they have 'no information about if and when' it will. I bought a 5.5 CS last week for a shoot I'm currently on, and while it sort of worked initially, I was dismayed by the lag and occasional freeze, plus there is NO zebra stripe (overexposure indicator) as the iPad and iPhone have which is indispensable to me. So after doing some research last night, I decided to do the firmware update which had come out recently for the CS. HUGE MISTAKE! My CS is now completely unusable with the Osmo. The lag is 1-2 seconds, and the image breaks up constantly and horribly to the point that you can't even tell what you're looking at. Because of the lag, any image adjustments are futile. I wrote DJI last night and got a reply saying to reset my wifi on the Osmo, but since both my Apple products work just fine, I suspected the problem lay with the CS itself. When I called DJI today, they confirmed that it is 'not fully compatible' with the Osmo, and recommended that I continue using my Apple products. How they justify the marketing and sales of a product which is not at all usable is beyond me. I tried to connect it to my I2 just see it how it functioned with that, but it won't connect at all to the I2. It just says there is a 'network problem' however I can easily browse the web using the installed browser and my hotel wifi. It's too bad, the screen is awesome and I had really high hopes for this in bright sunlight.

Reactions: skylinefirework
No, although I did eventually try to use a USB cable, but there was no connection that way. With the Osmo, there currently only seems to be the wifi connection until the DJI cable/mount is released. Which begs the question.... why would they be releasing these items specifically for the Osmo if DJI themselves admit it's not supported on the Osmo? It's very frustrating to say the least.

No, although I did eventually try to use a USB cable, but there was no connection that way. With the Osmo, there currently only seems to be the wifi connection until the DJI cable/mount is released. Which begs the question.... why would they be releasing these items specifically for the Osmo if DJI themselves admit it's not supported on the Osmo? It's very frustrating to say the least.

The cable is available. The mount isn't. The wired adapter is ONLY for the osmo pro (uses the port for the focus wheel) the other osmo products will connect to the screen as any other smartphone or device does with wifi.

This just gets worse and worse..... so if we use the cable for the wired adapter, we have to give up the focus wheel? I'm using the Osmo RAW. Giving up the focus wheel is not an option, even for the Crystal Sky. This is starting to look like a DJI marketing disaster to me.

This just gets worse and worse..... so if we use the cable for the wired adapter, we have to give up the focus wheel? I'm using the Osmo RAW. Giving up the focus wheel is not an option, even for the Crystal Sky. This is starting to look like a DJI marketing disaster to me.

No sir. There is a Focus Communication Port + USB port on the adapter. Can still use a Focus Handwheel in combination with CrystalSky or other mobile device.

Osmo Video Adapter.png

Calm down!
The only mistake they made was not just putting a USB feed on the osmo from the start and relying too much on wifi.

Thanks.... that at least makes sense. I couldn't understand why DJI would step backward like that. But any guesses as to why they dropped the over exposure warning? I did get an email from tech support asking for a screen grab of the absence of this feature (I suppose they are asking for the settings page where it should be) which indicates they think it should be there?

Thanks.... that at least makes sense. I couldn't understand why DJI would step backward like that. But any guesses as to why they dropped the over exposure warning? I did get an email from tech support asking for a screen grab of the absence of this feature (I suppose they are asking for the settings page where it should be) which indicates they think it should be there?

I haven't used the CS and apps yet enough to notice. Has it ever been on the Android OS and just in the iOS version

No sir. There is a Focus Communication Port + USB port on the adapter. Can still use a Focus Handwheel in combination with CrystalSky or other mobile device.

View attachment 14840
There seems to be some confusion on this.... my distributor has what is supposed to be this cable, but he tells me it has only the USB connector on it. Is it possible there are two versions of this plug, one for use with the Focus Hand Wheel and one without?

There seems to be some confusion on this.... my distributor has what is supposed to be this cable, but he tells me it has only the USB connector on it. Is it possible there are two versions of this plug, one for use with the Focus Hand Wheel and one without?

No. One version. It has to have the focus connection in it.

He probably can't see it in the packaging.

Unfortunately am not aware as to why OE Warning was dropped but should not be difficult for them to open back up on CS's GO app with Osmo.

I can 100% confirm that we've had Part 94 Video Adapters in that have the USB and Focus Connection as a gentleman was in with an Osmo Pro to get the adapter and had fully rigged his setup to be functional with Osmo Pro, Focus HW2 and CrystalSky while he was in. Only thing that wasn't clean was his CrystalSky Mount which he had somewhat jury rigged.

I'll get someone this morning to confirm that Part 94 units on premise definitely have BOTH the USB and Focus Connection and will be back to you soon.

According to DJI technical support, the Crystal Sky is NOT fully compatible with the Osmo, and they have 'no information about if and when' it will. I bought a 5.5 CS last week for a shoot I'm currently on, and while it sort of worked initially, I was dismayed by the lag and occasional freeze, plus there is NO zebra stripe (overexposure indicator) as the iPad and iPhone have which is indispensable to me. So after doing some research last night, I decided to do the firmware update which had come out recently for the CS. HUGE MISTAKE! My CS is now completely unusable with the Osmo. The lag is 1-2 seconds, and the image breaks up constantly and horribly to the point that you can't even tell what you're looking at. Because of the lag, any image adjustments are futile. I wrote DJI last night and got a reply saying to reset my wifi on the Osmo, but since both my Apple products work just fine, I suspected the problem lay with the CS itself. When I called DJI today, they confirmed that it is 'not fully compatible' with the Osmo, and recommended that I continue using my Apple products. How they justify the marketing and sales of a product which is not at all usable is beyond me. I tried to connect it to my I2 just see it how it functioned with that, but it won't connect at all to the I2. It just says there is a 'network problem' however I can easily browse the web using the installed browser and my hotel wifi. It's too bad, the screen is awesome and I had really high hopes for this in bright sunlight.
Hi Sputnik,

I have the same problem. Bought two of the 5.5" CS monitors to fit with Osmo's, as DJI said they were compatible. By taking a little off of the universal mount near the connection, the monitor mounted to that very well (didn't know about the new release then). Tried to connect to the Osmo, and it worked ok, but a lot of lag. Updated to the latest CS Firmware and Holy Crap, nothing worked. The home screen on the CS went mad, and wouldn't stay on the image for the Osmo Pro long enough for me to tap to connect. When I got lucky - nothing. No data or image. Did the usual turn it all off, turn it all on again several times, but no change. Left it 10 mins while I looked to see if there was anything in the User Manual (User Manual, what a joke that is!!), but no help there. Turned it on again, and it worked! God knows why as i didn't do anything differently.
Still tons of lag, and totally unusable, but I have a picture.
Once the hard connection is fitted, along with the right mount, I hope it will improve, but I have to say, the weight of it all now, with the battery for the CS, is well above that of an iPhone. Add the adaptor, assuming I can find a way to fit it to the back of the monitor, and it is losing the original appeal of being a compact gimbal. All this so that I can see the screen in the sunlight. Maybe i'll just opt for a bigger hat.

Hi Sputnik,

I have the same problem. Bought two of the 5.5" CS monitors to fit with Osmo's, as DJI said they were compatible. By taking a little off of the universal mount near the connection, the monitor mounted to that very well (didn't know about the new release then). Tried to connect to the Osmo, and it worked ok, but a lot of lag. Updated to the latest CS Firmware and Holy Crap, nothing worked. The home screen on the CS went mad, and wouldn't stay on the image for the Osmo Pro long enough for me to tap to connect. When I got lucky - nothing. No data or image. Did the usual turn it all off, turn it all on again several times, but no change. Left it 10 mins while I looked to see if there was anything in the User Manual (User Manual, what a joke that is!!), but no help there. Turned it on again, and it worked! God knows why as i didn't do anything differently.
Still tons of lag, and totally unusable, but I have a picture.
Once the hard connection is fitted, along with the right mount, I hope it will improve, but I have to say, the weight of it all now, with the battery for the CS, is well above that of an iPhone. Add the adaptor, assuming I can find a way to fit it to the back of the monitor, and it is losing the original appeal of being a compact gimbal. All this so that I can see the screen in the sunlight. Maybe i'll just opt for a bigger hat.

Interesting.... and that sounds exactly like what I experienced. Such a disappointment! Plus, I still can't get over the fact that DJI actually told me over the phone that the CS is not fully supported for use on an Osmo, when they are clearly marketing it as such. But I will say this, I was able to get it to connect to my I2 just fine with a wired connection, and it seems as it will do what it promotes once the cables and mounts are available. I had planned on just using a small articulated arm attached to the original phone mount thread, and a small metal plate with a wingnut to attach to the bottom of the CS. It worked perfectly and I felt the added weight of the CS + battery was worth being able to actually see what you are shooting in bright sunlight. I was shooting in a commercial greenhouse with VERY bright lights/sunlight the past few days and literally could not see a **** thing on the iPhone. I was draping stuff over my head in an attempt to be able to see (which is delightful in that kind of heat and humidity) and it still was incredibly difficult. I'm going to get the cable (and the mount when it comes out) and try again. Hoping that will do the trick because aside from the abysmally short recording time on those tiny batteries, the interminable wait for the wifi to connect is costing me shots. I'm VERY keen on losing that aspect of shooting with the thing.

.....and another thing. Have you run the CS monitor for longer than a few minutes. Mine is getting very hot to touch, and it's been running for just 15 mins!

Can't say that I've experienced that yet, but I really haven't used it since I could never get a decent wifi connection.

I can 100% confirm that we've had Part 94 Video Adapters in that have the USB and Focus Connection as a gentleman was in with an Osmo Pro to get the adapter and had fully rigged his setup to be functional with Osmo Pro, Focus HW2 and CrystalSky while he was in. Only thing that wasn't clean was his CrystalSky Mount which he had somewhat jury rigged.

I'll get someone this morning to confirm that Part 94 units on premise definitely have BOTH the USB and Focus Connection and will be back to you soon.
Do you know how he's connecting the CrystalSky to the Wired Video Adapter? I tried via a USB to USB cable and didn't have much success...is he using the micro USB to USB connection? Thanks!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
THE FLYING LIZARD