Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Distance phobia!

Reaction score
Website
www.skysceneimaging.co.uk
Okay, Is it just me or does anyone else here have a bit of a problem with long-distance flights LOL? For some reason even though I know the inspire can perform well at distance I start to get very sweaty palms. Anyone else experienced this?

Okay, Is it just me or does anyone else here have a bit of a problem with long-distance flights LOL? For some reason even though I know the inspire can perform well at distance I start to get very sweaty palms. Anyone else experienced this?
Depends what you class as 'Long Distance'
Don't forget, for the UK the legal limit is 500m from you and visual line of sight only (unless you have BVLOS exemption from the CAA). So at 500m the Inspire gets pretty small and can freak some people out.

Yes exactly it's not so much the distance issue is the fact that there are several thousand pounds worth just sitting up there LOL. In reality it doesn't matter whether you're 5 m away or 500 m away
You get over it LOL. As you get more confidence in the Inspire (and how well it flies) coupled with your own ability (practice atti mode - A LOT) you will soon not worry so much about the $/£ value up there and relax a bit more. :)

Oh, yes, definitely. It was quite a number of flights before I went to the 500m limit, but I'm very confident now with the Inspire. Absolutely no problems, although I'm pretty intent on keeping the remote's antennas pointed at the aircraft. I'll be practicing up to a longer range flight, trying for up to 1.5km to help survey a friend's property.

One recommendation I can make (besides practice practice practice and everything else people have said on the boards) is get confident in the Return To Home function, how to activate it, how to set the Failsafe height, observe RTH in action under test circumstances, make sure the Home point is properly set at takeoff. One time I was quite a ways away and got distracted by a friend observing the flight (yes, basically pilot error) and lost sight of the Inspire. I couldn't get a fix on it even though I looked very very carefully, there being a cloudy background with a lot of black dots and grey to confuse things, and I didn't have data access for the maps. But, because I was confident in RTH, I triggered it and within a few minutes heard the buzz of the Inspire high overhead so I could get a fix and take control again.

mTp

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cruzamikayla