Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

DJI Go Zebras

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Can anybody tell me or point me in the right direction for documented information on the zebra levels shown in the DJI Go App.

I am finding a lot of conflicting information.

FYI I am flying an Inspire 1 V2 RAW.

Thanks in Advance

Hi Folks,

Can anybody tell me or point me in the right direction for documented information on the zebra levels shown in the DJI Go App.

I am finding a lot of conflicting information.

FYI I am flying an Inspire 1 V2 RAW.

Thanks in Advance
There isn't actually any documented information.
What do you want to know?

Thanks for reply,

I would like to know at what level the zebras appear eg 70%, 85% or 100%

Looking at the Histogram it seems to be less than 100%, maybe 85%

The histogram is so small its hard to know for certain.

Thanks

Thanks for reply,

I would like to know at what level the zebras appear eg 70%, 85% or 100%

Looking at the Histogram it seems to be less than 100%, maybe 85%

The histogram is so small its hard to know for certain.

Thanks
They are not true zebras as you would find on a professional camera.
First of all, they are not adjustable
Secondly, it only gives you one level so you cannot for instance set first level at say 80% and the second at 100% for specular highlights etc.

The other thing to bear in mind (and we have to remember here that DJI are clueless when it come to making cameras) is that the zebras are actually taken from the tablets 100% level and not read from the sensor.
So there is actually a conflict between the histogram and the zebra levels.
I would not (indeed you can't) use them as absolute but rather as a guide.

Reactions: JamesSpringPilot
The other thing to bear in mind (and we have to remember here that DJI are clueless when it come to making cameras) is that the zebras are actually taken from the tablets 100% level and not read from the sensor.
I was semi aware that the level is taken from the compressed H.264 720P video sent to the tablet.

What do you mean by "zebras are actually taken from the tablets 100% level"

Thanks again for the input

I was semi aware that the level is taken from the compressed H.264 720P video sent to the tablet.

What do you mean by "zebras are actually taken from the tablets 100% level"

Thanks again for the input
Sorry - just read my post again and I described that like pants. :p
Normally (with a real camera) you would expect the zebras to be derived from the sensor feed with 100% corresponding to 100IRE.
It would have made sense for DJI to do this and transmit the data embedded in the telemtry.
Instead, they opted to derive the zebras from the encrypted Lightbridge video feed and process the zebras within DJI Go App.
This means that 100% zebra/IRE is actually from the app/tablet (it is processed within the app) and not the camera.
I hope that makes a bit more sense. :)

Sorry - just read my post again and I described that like pants. :p
Normally (with a real camera) you would expect the zebras to be derived from the sensor feed with 100% corresponding to 100IRE.
It would have made sense for DJI to do this and transmit the data embedded in the telemtry.
Instead, they opted to derive the zebras from the encrypted Lightbridge video feed and process the zebras within DJI Go App.
This means that 100% zebra/IRE is actually from the app/tablet (it is processed within the app) and not the camera.
I hope that makes a bit more sense. :)
Boy it sounds like we should just ignore them and judge the footage later on the big screen. Sometimes I found myself dialling the zebras down with the exposure wheel to bring out the sky more but darken the landscape. My old studio Sony camera has zebra default at 70%, if I recall correctly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlesssouth