Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

DJI Googles - finally works as advertised for Inspire 2!

Reaction score
OMG! The latest firmware updates (drone, controller, DGI Goggles) finally adds head tracking (both flight and gimbal!) for Inspire 2 - and hopefully Inspire 1 (can someone with an I1 verify?). I cannot tell you how nice it was to finally use that big, white, clucky lump of $400 plastic which has been staring at me from the corner of my drone kit since July! After the firmware upgrades, I was head-tracking with the gimbal/camera in beautiful 1080p in my office! I can't wait to get it into the air this weekend!

As usual the DJI firmware upgrade process was pure hell and took me 2 hours (with multiple re-tries), so here are some tips to make things smoother for others (I hope):

1) Don't try to upgrade a controller from a CrystalSky display/app - it will just hang. Unplug the CrystalSky and use a mobile device (phone or tablet) via USB and the DJIGo4 mobile app. It's ridiculous - both controller and CrystalSky are DJI products, so it should "just work," but, well, that's DJI. :/
2) Make sure you have the gimbal and camera installed before attempting the drone firmware upgrade. If you don't have that connected, the camera and gimbal portions of the firmware upgrade process will just spin forever (requires restart to try again, this time with gimbal and camera installed!). It would be nice if DJI's firmware upgrade process would tell you and prevent this, but, well, that's DJI. :/

WARNING: For those using 2 controllers (master for flight and slave for gimbal/camera) the upgrade process broke my ability to control the gimbal/camera when trying to take gimbal/camera control via the slave controller. Such an attempt triggers a "camera not connected" warning that displays on both controllers and suddenly you lose all control of the camera - as if the camera was no longer attached. Nothing you do, short of powering everything off (drone, both controllers) and restarting will clear this problem. So until this bug is fixed, you are left with the option of having to control the camera from the master controller or...USE THE NEW DJI GOGGLES HEAD TRACKING TO CONTROL THE GIMBAL/CAMERA FUNCTIONS!!! How cool!!!!

Will

Last edited:
Reactions: DamesNY and MrTVR
I'm considering getting the goggles for my I2. As a single operator I think it would be cool to be able to have better control of the camera. Let me know what your experience is!

Can you switch view from the fpv camera to the gimbal camera and vice versa, or do you have just one view ....which?

Can you switch view from the fpv camera to the gimbal camera and vice versa, or do you have just one view ....which?
i would like to know this also. I can't see any way to switch to the fpv cam, or actually change any of the x5s camera settings unless using the rc. I wish you could still connect a tablet or phone to the rc while using the goggles, but without occusync you cannot.

Just got new dji re goggles— the menu setup on my p4 is the same as on ipad but the I2 goggle menu lacks even the ability to record. I have to use the remote to start & stop video but no option to switch to stills. Any ideas on that??

How did you hook up the googles to the remote? Don’t you need N iPad/iPhone/crystal sky etc to be hooked up to the remote in order to fly more than 50m? Are you hooking up the goggles to the micro usb? I tried with hdmj and I only get the goggles to display just the live view, no controls/headtracking/etc.

hey smoak5– sorry not to get back sooner. The best luck I’ve had with the re goggles with the I2 was by only using the usb from remote into USB port on goggles where you charge the batteries. Was able to get tracking working but the photo/video buttons seem to be only available by using the remotes buttons. The left circular button next to gimbal dial is video on/off and right side photo. The depressable dial on the right controls photo settings. Kinda b.s. because the way the goggles work on the i2 is way different than my P4 or the mavic.

On another note I don’t know if I will be able to fly my P4 more than a couple hundred feet because of some weird distance limitation. Haven’t figured that out yet. Connects the same way even.

Kinda b.s. because the way the goggles work on the i2 is way different than my P4 or the mavic.

I completely agree it's BS the Goggles aren't as functional on I2 as they are on Mavic (including head tracking flight). Maybe DJI is freaked out by the possibility of sending a 55lb drone into the ground if you have a sneezing fit or stroke?

But frankly, I'm taking a glass-half-full take on it - we now have gimble control via head tracking! Beyond kids loving it, I've used it a couple of times when random folks approach me while flying - with the tracking pad locked and a long USB cable and the slave remote, which is safely set aside, it's a great way to give them an immersive gimble controlling experience without the risk of them messing something up. ;)

Still, I'm hoping DJI will continue to open DJI Goggle features up to I2 with future firmware updates. (Camera control via the touch pad being a no-brainer, but access to the Intelligent Flight Modes would be super)

Will
--------------------

I completely agree it's BS the Goggles aren't as functional on I2 as they are on Mavic (including head tracking flight). Maybe DJI is freaked out by the possibility of sending a 55lb drone into the ground if you have a sneezing fit or stroke?

But frankly, I'm taking a glass-half-full take on it - we now have gimble control via head tracking! Beyond kids loving it, I've used it a couple of times when random folks approach me while flying - with the tracking pad locked and a long USB cable and the slave remote, which is safely set aside, it's a great way to give them an immersive gimble controlling experience without the risk of them messing something up. ;)

Still, I'm hoping DJI will continue to open DJI Goggle features up to I2 with future firmware updates. (Camera control via the touch pad being a no-brainer, but access to the Intelligent Flight Modes would be super)

Will
--------------------

So wait does the I2 support head tracking or not?

"it's BS the Goggles aren't as functional on I2 as they are on Mavic (including head tracking flight)"

vs

"we now have gimble control via head tracking!"

Yes HT works but you don't have all the features because its over USB and not direct control via ocusync.

So wait does the I2 support head tracking or not?

"it's BS the Goggles aren't as functional on I2 as they are on Mavic (including head tracking flight)"

vs

"we now have gimble control via head tracking!"

These are DJI terms (from the Goggle manual), so don't blame me. :)

Head tracking flight = Actually fly the drone by moving your head around while wearing the goggles
Head tracking gimbal = Moving only the the camera/gimble by moving your head around while wearing the goggles

The I2 only supports the latter, but until the late Nov firmware updates, *neither* were supported on the I2. So some progress...

Will

These are DJI terms (from the Goggle manual), so don't blame me. :)

Head tracking flight = Actually fly the drone by moving your head around while wearing the goggles
Head tracking gimbal = Moving only the the camera/gimble by moving your head around while wearing the goggles

The I2 only supports the latter, but until the late Nov firmware updates, *neither* were supported on the I2. So some progress...

Will

Ok thanks. I think I would take advantage of the gimbal head tracking more than anything else. Do you know if the goggles are plugged in the tablet still shows the camera feed as well and everything else?

Ok thanks. I think I would take advantage of the gimbal head tracking more than anything else. Do you know if the goggles are plugged in the tablet still shows the camera feed as well and everything else?

Sadly, to make use of the DJI Goggles Head tracking gimbal feature, you have to unplug your display (iPad, phone, CrystalSky) from the USB port on the controller and plug in the USB cable from the DJI Goggles. Totally sucks. It'd be nice if the controller allowed you to use the other (large) USB port on the controller, but despite multiple attempts, it hasn't worked for me. So my setup is two-controller: One to fly with a tablet connected to USB and the other (slave) controller to use DJI Goggles Head tracking gimbal via USB.

I should point out that you could connect the DJI Goggles to the controller via the HDMI to get a "read only" view, controlling the drone/camera from a single controller, but that's a non Head tracking gimbal (passive) experience where the Goggles just mirror what's shown on the controller's USB connected tablet/phone.

*Sigh* Continued I2 yin and yang from DGI...

Will

Sadly, to make use of the DJI Goggles Head tracking gimbal feature, you have to unplug your display (iPad, phone, CrystalSky) from the USB port on the controller and plug in the USB cable from the DJI Goggles. Totally sucks. It'd be nice if the controller allowed you to use the other (large) USB port on the controller, but despite multiple attempts, it hasn't worked for me. So my setup is two-controller: One to fly with a tablet connected to USB and the other (slave) controller to use DJI Goggles Head tracking gimbal via USB.

I should point out that you could connect the DJI Goggles to the controller via the HDMI to get a "read only" view, controlling the drone/camera from a single controller, but that's a non Head tracking gimbal (passive) experience where the Goggles just mirror what's shown on the controller's USB connected tablet/phone.

*Sigh* Continued I2 yin and yang from DGI...

Will

Thanks again for your detailed response. That's too bad about using both the goggles and tablet on the same controller. Might be time to get a second controller for dual operation.

Just to be clear.

I have a Cendence for my main controller
I have a standard controller as my slave.
I want my camera operator to use the goggles on the slave to control the framing of the gimbal.

Can do?

I can’t figure it how to get head tracking to work. I have I2 with cendence and regular slave controller. I can get video and controller in the goggles with the usb connected to the slave. However when I select head tracking gimbal in the menu it never engages. Has anyone had that problem? I’m on the most recent firmware.

Just to be clear.

I have a Cendence for my main controller
I have a standard controller as my slave.
I want my camera operator to use the goggles on the slave to control the framing of the gimbal.

Can do?
Did you ever get an answer to this?

I'm looking at using two standard controllers, with one running goggles for the camera gimball, and flying via tablet...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomasovinido