Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

DJI GS Pro - Tutorial & Review

Thanks Houston

I've only looked at it a little bit and haven't flown with it as it currently fails to impress. And your experience confirms my impression. With the mature apps I already have and use, there didn't seem much point trying this. I'm really sort of surprised dji couldn't do better since they are not constrained to the sdk like the other devs. Why didn't they just purchase one of the mature apps to get started if this is the best they can do. Somewhat puzzling!

I couldn't agree more Dave. No one was expecting it, they had all the time in the world. To me, it falls way short and only proves that there is a major disconnect in the company between the hardware and software. It seems like these days all these tech companies are in such a rush to get stuff to market that they do it more and more prematurely.

Houston,

Thank you for taking the time to go through your review.. Even though you had to step out into the cold 50 degree weather.. (I'm typing this while looking at the thermometer and reading 18 degrees) Your review was very helpful.

I have been looking at Litchi and AutoPilot.. but not sure they have been updated to handle the Inspire 2 yet.. Which do you use if not DJI GS Pro?

I didn't have a chance to test it out. I think, based on what you showed us, I'm not going to.
You saved me the trouble. Guess I'll wait a couple of updates.
Big THANKS!

Thanks for making the tutorial.

Seems they really gave this app to the school leaver to code and left him alone to come up with a half baked flakey product.

There are way better and more accomplished 3rd party apps out there.

Quite frankly this is a bit of a disaster!

DJI coding strikes again........ :confused:

Reactions: DamesNY and ash223
I disagree. For mapping this is actually a step forward in several areas. The ability to fly the aircraft to establish waypoints is very valuable when there's no good imagery for the site. The handling of non-standard lenses and cameras is extremely useful too. Of course there are some irritations (including the sensitive controls) but it solves I lot of headaches with other apps for this appliclation

If you guys are intereted, I did a full review of the GS Pro app (V1.01). I realize that DJI says it is not beta, but if it acts like a duck and walks like a duck.....

Looking forward to version 2.0.

Thank you, sir. I believe I will wait for DJI to work out some of the bugs before I give this a shot.

D

I disagree. For mapping this is actually a step forward in several areas. The ability to fly the aircraft to establish waypoints is very valuable when there's no good imagery for the site. The handling of non-standard lenses and cameras is extremely useful too. Of course there are some irritations (including the sensitive controls) but it solves I lot of headaches with other apps for this appliclation
You can do this easily with most third party apps - and assign a button to record the waypoint when you have flown to it.
Autopilot and Litchi are far more established and stable than DJI's effort IMO

Reactions: Viper Pilot
If you guys are intereted, I did a full review of the GS Pro app (V1.01). I realize that DJI says it is not beta, but if it acts like a duck and walks like a duck.....

Looking forward to version 2.0.

Thank you for sharing your straight forward toutorial/review. Your post is an example why forums benefit us all.

Reactions: Cruncher
Hello,

I'm new here, but I use to follow all the latest developments, mainly for survey applications. After losing some days searching on the web for solutions similar to UgCS for planning survey missions, I realized that doesn't exist, and the only available that has a proper and complete setup is the maps made easy, with a full possibilities to change the settings. The drone deploy is ok, but not for a professional use, as for example, you can't change the lens??? But the main point here is, and I hope this can be read by DJI and the rest of the developers of survey app's, how can they say that is for professional users, when the applications only runs in a crap device like iPad??? If is hot, doesn't work, if it's cold, doesn't work.. what is this, really? and this is for professional users. When we will see these planning/survey applications running on a windows device or at least in an android, because this way we can use a professional tablet, like Panasonic, or similar. For me, this lack of sense of what is a professional use, is just impossible to believe from companies like DJI, Drone Deploy, Apple.. and if this kind of application is to be running only in ios devices, for when Apple will produce a real pro device, not a crap as iPad Pro or any other from the same family, that is for the Pro's in a warm and cozy office. Please, DJI, take it serious, and instead calling Industrial users and applications only to the drones, don't forget that these flying machines need to be controlled by an industrial device. Yes, I must say, that with the new Cendence and the Cristalsky they are going in the right direction, but for now not even the GS Pro can run in the Cristalsky.

Reactions: Donnie Frank
Hello,

I'm new here, but I use to follow all the latest developments, mainly for survey applications. After losing some days searching on the web for solutions similar to UgCS for planning survey missions, I realized that doesn't exist, and the only available that has a proper and complete setup is the maps made easy, with a full possibilities to change the settings. The drone deploy is ok, but not for a professional use, as for example, you can't change the lens??? But the main point here is, and I hope this can be read by DJI and the rest of the developers of survey app's, how can they say that is for professional users, when the applications only runs in a crap device like iPad??? If is hot, doesn't work, if it's cold, doesn't work.. what is this, really? and this is for professional users. When we will see these planning/survey applications running on a windows device or at least in an android, because this way we can use a professional tablet, like Panasonic, or similar. For me, this lack of sense of what is a professional use, is just impossible to believe from companies like DJI, Drone Deploy, Apple.. and if this kind of application is to be running only in ios devices, for when Apple will produce a real pro device, not a crap as iPad Pro or any other from the same family, that is for the Pro's in a warm and cozy office. Please, DJI, take it serious, and instead calling Industrial users and applications only to the drones, don't forget that these flying machines need to be controlled by an industrial device. Yes, I must say, that with the new Cendence and the Cristalsky they are going in the right direction, but for now not even the GS Pro can run in the Cristalsky.

I hear what you're saying. But when I do mapping, the only the thing the app has to do is upload waypoints and photo information (camera angle, overlap, etc.). That's it. The bird's Flight Controller does all the heavy lifting. i.e. "Processing." Once the photos are snapped and off-loaded from the MicroSD card, all processing of the photos is done in Pix4D on powerful Windows machines. And while I agree that iPads tend to crash for heavyweight programs like Autopilot, which actually use the iPad as a flight controller, I find that simple waypoint missions utilize very little iPad resource.

I have an Air 1 and Air Pro. Both will crash on hot days running complex automated missions via Autopilot. The Air 1 becomes literally unusable on hot days, while the Air Pro will complete missions provided I keep the Air Pro cool. So, before an Autopilot mission, I literally store the Pro in the fridge for a couple hours, and then put it in a cooler with ice to keep it cool on the job site. Neither iPad crashes ever for any other app, regardless of temperature. So I'm curious to know which app you're using that's crashing your iPad?

I use GS Pro to snap the photos. Why? Because I find 1st-party apps more reliable than 3rd-party apps. For jobs under 300 acres, I have used an Inspire 1, but have moved to the Mavic. The Mavic's narrower FOV means I can fly higher. Higher altitude combined with its smaller size means it goes unnoticed, so nobody bugs me. The higher altitude also facilitates greater range to receive telemetry data. But I digress...

If your iPad is crashing simply uploading waypoint missions, then something is wrong. If you're using non-DJI offerings to take photos, then everything I've written here is moot. All that said...

Are you saying your app crashes while uploading waypoints? You ARE doing waypoint flying for mapping missions, yes???

Last edited:
I hear what you're saying. But when I do mapping, the only the thing the app has to do is upload waypoints and photo information (camera angle, overlap, etc.). That's it. The bird's Flight Controller does all the heavy lifting. i.e. "Processing." Once the photos are snapped and off-loaded from the MicroSD card, all processing of the photos is done in Pix4D on powerful Windows machines. And while I agree that iPads tend to crash for heavyweight programs like Autopilot, which actually use the iPad as a flight controller, I find that simple waypoint missions utilize very little iPad resource.

I have an Air 1 and Air Pro. Both will crash on hot days running complex automated missions via Autopilot. The Air 1 becomes literally unusable on hot days, while the Air Pro will complete missions provided I keep the Air Pro cool. So, before an Autopilot mission, I literally store the Pro in the fridge for a couple hours, and then put it in a cooler with ice to keep it cool on the job site. Neither iPad crashes ever for any other app, regardless of temperature. So I'm curious to know which app you're using that's crashing your iPad?

I use GS Pro to snap the photos. Why? Because I find 1st-party apps more reliable than 3rd-party apps. For jobs under 300 acres, I have used an Inspire 1, but have moved to the Mavic. The Mavic's narrower FOV means I can fly higher. Higher altitude combined with its smaller size means it goes unnoticed, so nobody bugs me. The higher altitude also facilitates greater range to receive telemetry data. But I digress...

If your iPad is crashing simply uploading waypoint missions, then something is wrong. If you're using non-DJI offerings to take photos, then everything I've written here is moot. All that said...

Are you saying your app crashes while uploading waypoints? You ARE doing waypoint flying for mapping missions, yes???

I think you are touching exactly in the same spot. While the iPad is part of the tools, and a big one, it will be always a problem. Relying in a flight controller that can´t handle hot or chilly days, the full system can´t be considered professional, like DJI is advertising the flying machines for professional use, at least not for this one. The simple question is, can I plan a mission for photogrammetry using GS pro, or Drone Deploy, or Maps Made Easy, without using an iPad? I don´t think so... at least, using these applications, I can´t... and again, sorry to say, but look what you wrote, "store the Pro in the fridge for a couple hours, and then put it in a cooler with ice to keep it cool on the job site”. this is not supposed to happen, am I right? When I said that the iPad crash, happened in a 7º Celsius and also in a 35º Celsius. Yes, I can upload the waypoints (I was using the Drone Deploy app), but latter, once in flight, the iPad just turned off completely with that message about the cpu overloaded, or turn off the app, and the only thing I can do is push the home button in the RC and wait that the drone return and land safely, putting again the iPad inside the car with the air conditioner and hope that the next flight will be ok... and doing this continuously, flight after flight, is just insane... especially in the really big areas, like last summer, more than 24000 acres with the Inspire 2 and a 25mm lens to fly high and keeping a good resolution. Yes, is flying around 6 hours per day with 6 pack of batteries and a generator for a nonstop operation. Now, you can imagine, with so many flights, having the piece of sh... iPad crashing all the time. I need to say it again, is just unbelievable that DJI and even the 3rd-party apps keep relying in a device like iPad to do the professional work.

To finalise, you know any option to emulate with confidence the iOS in an android device (or windows) ?

Just hope this can change soon, and the companies involved, especially DJI, can look to this huge mistake and solve the gap. I think the first step is improving the GS Pro and make it available for android devices. After all, the idea of a "Ground Station" is to work for what was created... a Ground Station.

If DJI wants to compete with other options in the market for survey applications, they should look to the base stations those options use... definitely not an iPad.

Thanks

Relying in a flight controller that can´t handle hot or chilly days,...

To clarify, the Flight Controller or "FC" is what controls the motors. When you push the right stick forward this says to the FC, "Rev up the rear motors." The FC is on-board the drone. However, only one program I know of assigns FC duties to the iPad, and that's Autopilot. This is apparent, because when Autopilot crashes, the drone just stops in space and hovers. Mission over. I have to start over. Maddening.

Conversely, programs like GS Pro simply upload the waypoints to the drone. Once the mission starts, the bird is completely autonomous. In other words, you can disconnect the iPad completely, and the bird will still finish its mission. In fact - and I haven't tested this yet - I believe you can shut down the Remote Controllers, and the bird will STILL finish it's mission. I'm pretty sure this is true, as the bird can be programmed to fly out past RC range. In theory, the bird will reconnect with the RC once back in range.

The point of all this is that, in this instance, the iPad does nothing more than give the user telemetry information. So if your iPad is crashing simply giving you telemetry and video data, there is something wrong with your iPad.

The simple question is, can I plan a mission for photogrammetry using GS pro, or Drone Deploy, or Maps Made Easy, without using an iPad? I don´t think so... at least, using these applications, I can´t...

Agreed. I have an older Android device that I use for my GoPro cameras. It's too small and cheap to use with my drones.

...you wrote, "store the Pro in the fridge for a couple hours, and then put it in a cooler with ice to keep it cool on the job site”. this is not supposed to happen, am I right?

Correct. My problem is I started an 18-month long construction Autopilot project, just to find out in June that the iPad Air 1 can't take the heat. I have to finish this project, so I did some research. It seems the Air Pro's processing power is double that of the Air 1, so I got it. This MOSTLY solved my Autopilot app crashing issues, but not completely. Out of desperation, I decided to store the iPad in the fridge and then the cooler. Because I use FatShark™ goggles, I don't have to actually see the iPad during flight. So I just toss the thing in the cooler with some ice to keep it cool. It's a kluge, but it works. And, yes, I shouldn't have to do that.

When I said that the iPad crash, happened in a 7º Celsius and also in a 35º Celsius.

I've operated my drone in near-freezing weather with zero iPad issues. The iPads don't seem to mind the cold. The DO mind the heat. I have the Air 1 and Air Pro. Which one do you have?

Yes, I can upload the waypoints (I was using the Drone Deploy app), but latter, once in flight, the iPad just turned off completely with that message about the cpu overloaded, or turn off the app,

That is interesting, because my iPads have NEVER crashed using GS Pro, the Go App, or the Go 4 app. Me and my business partner have literally flown back-to-back missions on a film set all day long for 12 hours with nary an issue. So that is TWO iPads. We have done this several times with nary an issue. If your iPad is crashing on GS Pro, I submit you have other issues.

Three questions:

1) Which model (generation) iPad are you using?
2) What other apps do you have running?
3) Is your iPad drone-specific, or do you use it for other things?

...and the only thing I can do is push the home button in the RC and wait that the drone return and land safely...

Hmmmm....why not allow the drone to finish its mission? Why not simply wait a bit reboot the iPad? Remember, while flying these missions, the iPad is merely RECEIVING telemetry data. It isn't actually controlling the bird.

And to be clear, I agree you shouldn't have to do this. I'm just suggesting that you're ending your missions unnecessarily.

putting again the iPad inside the car with the air conditioner and hope that the next flight will be ok... and doing this continuously, flight after flight, is just insane... especially in the really big areas, like last summer, more than 24000 acres with the Inspire 2 and a 25mm lens to fly high and keeping a good resolution. Yes, is flying around 6 hours per day with 6 pack of batteries and a generator for a nonstop operation.

I have done the same thing on a film set. In those situations, it's so hectic that we actually have a third guy for battery and data management. But I digress. My point is that we have flown TWELVE hour days under the same conditions as your mapping missions, with nary an iPad issue. Interesting.

Now, you can imagine, with so many flights, having the piece of sh... iPad crashing all the time.

Yes. Unacceptable. Answer the three questions I asked above.

I need to say it again, is just unbelievable that DJI and even the 3rd-party apps keep relying in a device like iPad to do the professional work.

Honestly, I believe something is wrong with your setup. Either your iPad is too old to handle these modern, resource-heavy apps, or something else is going on.

To finalise, you know any option to emulate with confidence the iOS in an android device (or windows) ?

I believe there exists an iOS emulator for Windows. I haven't used it, so I can't comment on its reliability.

Just hope this can change soon, and the companies involved, especially DJI, can look to this huge mistake and solve the gap. I think the first step is improving the GS Pro and make it available for android devices. After all, the idea of a "Ground Station" is to work for what was created... a Ground Station.

I agree to a point. But honestly, I think something is possibly wrong with your iPad. My iPads are very duty specific. They fly my drones and operate my audio consoles. Other than those hand full of apps, I have nothing running. I have uninstalled all the social media apps and/or disallowed them access to the CPU and/or the Internet. Perhaps a tune up is all your iPad needs.

To clarify, the Flight Controller or "FC" is what controls the motors. When you push the right stick forward this says to the FC, "Rev up the rear motors." The FC is on-board the drone. However, only one program I know of assigns FC duties to the iPad, and that's Autopilot. This is apparent, because when Autopilot crashes, the drone just stops in space and hovers. Mission over. I have to start over. Maddening.

Conversely, programs like GS Pro simply upload the waypoints to the drone. Once the mission starts, the bird is completely autonomous. In other words, you can disconnect the iPad completely, and the bird will still finish its mission. In fact - and I haven't tested this yet - I believe you can shut down the Remote Controllers, and the bird will STILL finish it's mission. I'm pretty sure this is true, as the bird can be programmed to fly out past RC range. In theory, the bird will reconnect with the RC once back in range.

The point of all this is that, in this instance, the iPad does nothing more than give the user telemetry information. So if your iPad is crashing simply giving you telemetry and video data, there is something wrong with your iPad.

Agreed. I have an older Android device that I use for my GoPro cameras. It's too small and cheap to use with my drones.

Correct. My problem is I started an 18-month long construction Autopilot project, just to find out in June that the iPad Air 1 can't take the heat. I have to finish this project, so I did some research. It seems the Air Pro's processing power is double that of the Air 1, so I got it. This MOSTLY solved my Autopilot app crashing issues, but not completely. Out of desperation, I decided to store the iPad in the fridge and then the cooler. Because I use FatShark™ goggles, I don't have to actually see the iPad during flight. So I just toss the thing in the cooler with some ice to keep it cool. It's a kluge, but it works. And, yes, I shouldn't have to do that.

I've operated my drone in near-freezing weather with zero iPad issues. The iPads don't seem to mind the cold. The DO mind the heat. I have the Air 1 and Air Pro. Which one do you have?

That is interesting, because my iPads have NEVER crashed using GS Pro, the Go App, or the Go 4 app. Me and my business partner have literally flown back-to-back missions on a film set all day long for 12 hours with nary an issue. So that is TWO iPads. We have done this several times with nary an issue. If your iPad is crashing on GS Pro, I submit you have other issues.

Three questions:

1) Which model (generation) iPad are you using?
2) What other apps do you have running?
3) Is your iPad drone-specific, or do you use it for other things?

Hmmmm....why not allow the drone to finish its mission? Why not simply wait a bit reboot the iPad? Remember, while flying these missions, the iPad is merely RECEIVING telemetry data. It isn't actually controlling the bird.

And to be clear, I agree you shouldn't have to do this. I'm just suggesting that you're ending your missions unnecessarily.

I have done the same thing on a film set. In those situations, it's so hectic that we actually have a third guy for battery and data management. But I digress. My point is that we have flown TWELVE hour days under the same conditions as your mapping missions, with nary an iPad issue. Interesting.

Yes. Unacceptable. Answer the three questions I asked above.

Honestly, I believe something is wrong with your setup. Either your iPad is too old to handle these modern, resource-heavy apps, or something else is going on.

I believe there exists an iOS emulator for Windows. I haven't used it, so I can't comment on its reliability.

I agree to a point. But honestly, I think something is possibly wrong with your iPad. My iPads are very duty specific. They fly my drones and operate my audio consoles. Other than those hand full of apps, I have nothing running. I have uninstalled all the social media apps and/or disallowed them access to the CPU and/or the Internet. Perhaps a tune up is all your iPad needs.
Donnie, really appreciate your effort to answer to so many questions.

Unfortunately, the issues with the iPad are facts, and I know other guys that never had problems with them, but as you may know better than me, also on the other side, a big crowd complaining about the iPad. The main problem was in that 24000 acres job, during August, with temperatures around 35⁰ C, but not only, and almost every day in the summer, close to mid-day, is always a mission to have clear flights. In fact this is not only the problem with the iPad, I tried with me iPhone 5s and is the same. The same in winter, even if is not crashing, is too slow, both again. By the way, the iPad is the mini 4, a two years old device.. so, not an old device. You mentioned about the iPad is merely RECEIVING telemetry data, and I need to disagree with you.. well, maybe you are right about that fact, but in practice, and I’m talking about facts again, and I have different behaviors of the drone when the app crash. I did what you said, turn on again the Drone Deploy app, and sometimes is doing like you said, sometimes is moving as it is performing the mission, but in fact is not taking pictures, only following the path, and the weirdest one, was one time that when I turned it on, the bird was flying away in an erroneous track, like 45 degrees out of the plan.. and the reason why I prefer to cancel the mission, is the distance the inspire is flying from me, and honestly I don’t have the trust to let the drone managed by the mission loaded. Donnie this is facts, and aside of this situations, I never had problems with the iPad, always keep it up to date, with the minimum amount of apps.. I don’t use for anything else. The processing power of the big brothers, like the iPad Pro doesn’t protect the tablet to crash due the hot days, just have a considerable bigger capacity to eat the data.

I sent an email to the DJI enterprise, and they reply saying that they are working in the PC GS pro, (already released in china), just need to wait a few more months, and it will be out, like the android version of the GS pro. In my opinion, they want to move away or stop relying in iPad’s for professional users. Let’s be honest, we can try to find the positive side on these devices, but we can’t deny the obvious, they just can’t give the confidence a professional search for, and its fair, because was never the intention of Apple to be like that, especially for an outdoor environment. A real outdoor screen is never glossy, like the ones of apples products, and some brands just keep putting them in expensive machines, because sells better for a public that wants a premium device, not because it works better in a direct sun. The first time I used a true professional device, like the Panasonic Toughbook, I understood clearly what they mean about confidence. Never crash, never stop working, never failed... and why, because these machines were designed for this specific purpose.. and the Apple products no.

I look forward for the PC GS Pro, or the GS Pro for android.

Very interesting this tutorial. Thanks for your effort. One thing is not clear to me, so maybe I get some help here. In the app GS pro I can composite a large picture (=map) compiled with the pictures taken. But I did not find a way to get the Composition-picture out of the iPAD in some way. So how can I get the compositions out of the iPAD? Or is this not supported and this composition is just for the overview?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unitedconveyormktg