Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Does the firmware really decrease the distance!?

Reaction score
I have been seeing that upgrading to the latest firmware actually decreases the distance of the inspire is that true? Have y'all experienced it first hand? Or is it just a few being paronoid and experiencing environment factors playing a role on their distance etc?
Thanks!

I can't confirm because I dont update, haven't in 10 months. I just wanna ask why you want to update? I haven't checked myself but I haven't heard of any new features being added this version. It's my understanding the changes are just more flight restrictions like new nfz, range and height limit reductions(if you can believe the few reports on that, it's possible just user error, someone said the update just changed the default values in these categories and capabilities are the same if you change it back, if you can believe that guy, lol). Definitely nothing I'd want on my inspire.

There is definitely rock solid proof they have screwed many things up in past firmware versions, like reducing top speed capabilities, gps accuracy reductions, control stick behavior, speed braking behavior in gps mode when you let go of the sticks, controller signal range reductions and other undesirable stuff.

They have been getting better lately but I don't recommend ever blindly installing new firmware immediately after it comes out. Let someone else be the guinea pigs and test it. I'm mentioning this for the benefit of others, looks like that's exactly what you're doing. Kudos.

I just updated my new to me bird tonight. Updated all around...The Ipad mini to ios 9.1, the app-the remote and the bird. No problems at all. I really did not go for distance, stopped short of 2000 feet, but no lag..no skips or hiccups. She however was fast for some reason...I was getting 40 mph into a 14 mph head wind in ATTI? The tail wind got me up to just under 60mph. I was also playing with the gains and the other settings.

I just updated my new to me bird tonight. Updated all around...The Ipad mini to ios 9.1, the app-the remote and the bird. No problems at all. I really did not go for distance, stopped short of 2000 feet, but no lag..no skips or hiccups. She however was fast for some reason...I was getting 40 mph into a 14 mph head wind in ATTI? The tail wind got me up to just under 60mph. I was also playing with the gains and the other settings.
Atti mode will always gain you speed. I've hit 84mph with a tailwind before.

How do you avoid "forced" up dates in both firmware and DJI apps?

To stop app from updating turn off auto update in the play store if using an android device, not sure for Apple but I would assume they have a similar option in a similar location.

Do you use a dedicated tablet or your cell phone to fly with? If dedicated tablet simply turn off all data connections and it won't know there is any available updates and therefore won't be able to force you to update to them. If using a phone it might be more difficult and require more effort, or it might be as simple as disabling data connection before starting the app.

Not sure if forced updates even exist to be honest, haven't seen any concrete proof that they do. It's hard to speculate what sort of update detection they use or methods used to force you to update and it could vary a little depending on android or Apple.

The Android app version I use just flashes a message at the top of the screen that says firmware update required but it has no way to force me to actually update it. It's been flashing that message for 10 months now.

Would have to see how it tries to force the update in order to be better able to say how to disable such action and I'm not gonna pollute my drone with newer firmware to find out cause as far as I know you cant go back to anything older than 1.3 I think, maybe you can only use one version below current newest version.

I'd be willing to bet that there is someone out there with programming experience who's cracked the firmware and can either remove unwanted restrictions from new version or be able to install whatever old version they want. I've not been able to locate anyone with this capability yet though, I haven't really been looking hard and they don't really advertise their abilities.

I have been seeing that upgrading to the latest firmware actually decreases the distance of the inspire is that true? Have y'all experienced it first hand? Or is it just a few being paranoid and experiencing environment factors playing a role on their distance etc?
Paranoid forum factoids?
That would never happen and it's never been observed in the past.
Surely everyone analyses scientifically before posting??

Reactions: Dr_Dooms
Paranoid forum factoids?
That would never happen and it's never been observed in the past.
Surely everyone analyses scientifically before posting??
Never say never, dji has a well documented history of releasing buggy firmware quite often, apps too. Installing new firmware versions without researching it first is kinda like playing Russian roulette and you can't blame a guy for trying to find out if it has any flaws before updating.

Reactions: Bryan Conover
I have been seeing that upgrading to the latest firmware actually decreases the distance of the inspire is that true? Have y'all experienced it first hand? Or is it just a few being paronoid and experiencing environment factors playing a role on their distance etc?
Thanks!
How much distance is good for you?

I will never let my I1 go beyond my LOS and not only because it's not allowed. If something weird is going on I want to have it in my direct sight anyway. 500m is still quite a distance and after 300m I can't see more than a small dot. I have quite some experience with several types of multirotors and I know things can go wrong when flying far beyond LOS, losing video transmission, and a quad that's going nuts. The only thing you can do then is pray and wait. Had that several times in my wild days (not so long ago actually) and it was nerve wrecking. And that was only around 1 Kg and 1000$ in the air........I only did long distance over water by the way.

Other than that, I was reluctant to upgrade from the beta SDK to the latest public firmware. But I must admit, as far as flying concerns, my I1 is more stable and responsive and predictive than ever before. I do get the occasional 'weak signal' warning in GO, I never had before the update. But I think DJI GO is still buggy as hell.

Just Wtf exactly do you think this thread and the post you quoted is talking about?

Here's a hint, firmware.
Here's a hint for you since you read but didn't understand the original post.
The OP is asking if DJI's recent firmware has decreased operating range or are forum posts suggesting this, not quite reliable.

And since I was far too subtle for you, I'm suggesting that not everything you read on forums is accurate.

Here's a hint for you since you read but didn't understand the original post.
The OP is asking if DJI's recent firmware has decreased operating range or are forum posts suggesting this, not quite reliable.

And since I was far too subtle for you, I'm suggesting that not everything you read on forums is accurate.
Oh, so then you are talking about firmware.

Lol, ok thanks everyone for your input. So I will just leave this as there is no strong/concrete evidence that updating the firmware actually decreases the distance. Would just hate to think they would be putting limiting/restricted code in the updates!

Never say never, dji has a well documented history of releasing buggy firmware quite often, apps too. Installing new firmware versions without researching it first is kinda like playing Russian roulette and you can't blame a guy for trying to find out if it has any flaws before updating.

My exact feelings - how else would DJI test new firmware if not for all us "Cattle" out here in the field at our expence.

Reactions: Bryan Conover

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annettekirtont