Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Does X7 raw not crop the sensor?

Reaction score
Coming from a cinema background and trying to wrap my head around CDNG raw on the X7. In almost all cinema cameras, shooting a lower resolution in raw means cropping in the sensor. Otherwise, there would have to be debayering or some other form of rasterization prior to downscaling, meaning it wouldn't really be raw anymore. But the X7 manual and a few online resources (such as this) lead me to believe the X7 doesn't crop in this way.

Can anyone confirm if that's the case?

Thank you!

Coming from a cinema background and trying to wrap my head around CDNG raw on the X7. In almost all cinema cameras, shooting a lower resolution in raw means cropping in the sensor. Otherwise, there would have to be debayering or some other form of rasterization prior to downscaling, meaning it wouldn't really be raw anymore. But the X7 manual and a few online resources (such as this) lead me to believe the X7 doesn't crop in this way.

Can anyone confirm if that's the case?

Thank you!
In the link you have given, what does it say in big red font on that page?

In the link you have given, what does it say in big red font on that page?
I saw that but if you actually look at the numbers, you'll see:
5760 × 3240 CinemaDNG 22.5 mm × 12.7 mm
3840 × 2160 CinemaDNG 22.5 mm × 12.7 mm

If that's correct, it can't be cropping the sensor.

Reactions: gmanbill
I saw that but if you actually look at the numbers, you'll see:
5760 × 3240 CinemaDNG 22.5 mm × 12.7 mm
3840 × 2160 CinemaDNG 22.5 mm × 12.7 mm

If that's correct, it can't be cropping the sensor.
There are resolutions and frame rates that crop the sensor and others that downscale the raw image.

DJI documentation has the complete list
862CF23F-D4D7-4180-92BF-03C237CEE992.jpeg
Otherwise, there would have to be debayering or some other form of rasterization prior to downscaling,
There are several ways to downscale a raw image without debayering. The easiest to wrap your head around would be line skipping but pixel binning can also be used.

Reactions: niki
There are resolutions and frame rates that crop the sensor and others that downscale the raw image.

DJI documentation has the complete list
View attachment 31071

There are several ways to downscale a raw image without debayering. The easiest to wrap your head around would be line skipping but pixel binning can also be used.
Thank you Brett!

Thank you Brett!
No problem. If I read between the lines the high frame rate are always cropping the sensor so if I had to guess I would say it’s using pixel binning or another method to downsample. I really don’t know which. If it was just line skipping you’d think the frame rate wouldn’t matter but this is purely speculation. You could test this with focus charts if you were so inclined.

I know people tend to think of “raw” as unadulterated data from the sensor but that’s really not the case especially with video. RAW could be tentatively defined as un-debayered pixels in the native camera color space and even then BRAW, for example, is partially debayered in camera yet retains all the practical benefits of “raw” so even that definition only gets you so far.

This is really rabbit hole that even really knowledgeable experts fiercely disagree on.

Yeah, X-OCN is a good example as well. All the same, I'm sure you'll agree it's rare for a raw format to downsample resolution. The Ursa 12K is the only example I can think of!

Yeah, X-OCN is a good example as well. All the same, I'm sure you'll agree it's rare for a raw format to downsample resolution. The Ursa 12K is the only example I can think of!
Yea it’s rare but off top the FX9 is another example that scans a larger 6k or 5k sensor area to output a 4k raw image albeit to an external recorder. So it’s not completely unheard of

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cleaningbyjen