Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Drone is bobbing up and down

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Today I took my inspire pro out for a flight and noticed it was acting a bit abnormal. While at hovering at stand still and 10 feet up (GPS mode), it started raising up and then lowering down (about five feet in measurement). In general it was acting a bit wonky.

Any ideas of what could have caused this?

It was a bit windy out (15mph) and I was trying out a new lens (35-100 lumix). Would updating the firmware help this? I'm just worried about updating the firmware due to stories I've been hearing.

You might try calibrating the VPS first, and maybe the RC stick calibration second. At low altitudes I'd guess the VPS cal, might help.

On my I2 using the glass plate, it's sort of odd in that you need even and bright light on it, where all others use a evenly lit computer screen. I haven't seen a video yet that adequately addresses the glass plate calibration for the I2 as tilting it at sundry distances can make it advance or not during the test. Odd.

Hi Guys,

Today I took my inspire pro out for a flight and noticed it was acting a bit abnormal. While at hovering at stand still and 10 feet up (GPS mode), it started raising up and then lowering down (about five feet in measurement). In general it was acting a bit wonky.

It was a bit windy out (15mph) and I was trying out a new lens (35-100 lumix). Would updating the firmware help this? I'm just worried about updating the firmware due to stories I've been hearing.
I have seen this on my I2 and P4 right around dark. During daylight hours they are rock solid. I always guessed that it was related to the VPS that might need to be turned off when flying at night. I don't have any experience with night flying so never really determined the cause

I see this too. But I haven't calibrated my VPS since I replaced the module itself. I will attempt calibrating.

I have seen this on my I2 and P4 right around dark. During daylight hours they are rock solid. I always guessed that it was related to the VPS that might need to be turned off when flying at night. I don't have any experience with night flying so never really determined the cause

I saw similar up and down. I'm a new dji pilot with and I1 on not the newest FW. I do need to calibrate VPS. And how important is it to "do the dance" at every new location? Thanks

I consistently notice a few feet of up and down drift with my Inspire Pro at low altitudes when it is windy/gusty. I believe there is a barometric altimeter in the drone and I figured it had to do with that but I'm not sure that's correct. I live in a windy area so I see it frequently.

I consistently notice a few feet of up and down drift with my Inspire Pro at low altitudes when it is windy/gusty. I believe there is a barometric altimeter in the drone and I figured it had to do with that but I'm not sure that's correct. I live in a windy area so I see it frequently.
That is correct. VPS only works at max 6 feet or so and it's mostly meant for keeping position relative to the ground while landing. However it does influence the height as well. The barometer senses the pressure below the bird. Because of wind the pressure, combined with draft of the propellers, constantly changes. The Inspire1 will also rise when you raise the landing gear, and sink when you lower the gear because of the changing pressure caused by changing the position of the propellers/motors relative to the barometer.

Don't trust the VPS system of the I1. It is pretty useless and causes more headaches than it would be supposed to solve. I switched it off permanently because I freq. fly over water. Used it once for an indoor flight but switched it off because it kind of took over when I flew it lower than 2 meters. Didn't like that at all.

Reactions: Chris Hale
Hi Guys,

Yes, I would avoid the upgrade path for as long as you are able providing you don't need it for other issues. From a post on the DJI site it looks as though the newest version disables the LUMIX 35-100.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurskmvah