Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

DroneMapper Remote Expert

MGS

Reaction score
Website
mojavegeospatialsolutions.com
Does anyone have any experience with DroneMapper Remote Expert?

The price makes it worth checking out, $2K for the perpetual license.

DroneMapper

I tried "Rapid" which is their free limited version to process a few data sets for a project and it worked well enough.

There seems like a pretty big gap between $2K price point and say Pix4D Mapper at $8700.

The industry is moving fast with respect to software, and technology so I'm a little reluctant drop $8700 into a license. I'm also spending my own money, in the past, I've had the luxury of spending "the company's" money.

Thanks,

Jerry

Reactions: DroneMapper
I would be happy to comment but at the moment not knowing what equipment you currently have and what you are trying to achieve with mapping it is difficult to comment.

I have had the luxury of using most products on the market for mapping and use a number professionally so happy to give you my thoughts

Hello,

I've been using an I1 with a X3, a PFP, and I'm looking at picking up M200/210.

I would say that I do 75% GIS analysis and 25% Remote Sensing work (orthomosaic, DEM, and NDVI). While I have a background as a GIS analyst, I'm starting to shift towards projects that have UAV sourced data.

I'm a small independent geospatial company and I'm just to the point where I can start bidding on Federal contracts so I'm basically tooling up, ie. software licensing.

Thanks for response,

Jerry

Can I ask why your going along the M2xx route as they are no good (any more than I2) for GIS work - their RTK is not currently usable - in the uk your paying a 5-6k premium for the M210 over the I2, for mapping I can't see any point, you won't be flying in silly weather anyway as your images would look bad

I'm not totally sold on M2xx, but what I'm looking for is a platform that can handle the wind that has a fairly wide range of sensor options. I'd fly the I2 if it could be loaded with Z30, or an XT.

For example, the Flir packages gave me a few project ideas with respect to addressing water issues in Southern California. California has been in a drought for the last 5 years and City, and County agencies are now mandated to meet conservation measures.

I'm open to all kinds of input, I'd appreciate any information or experience you may have to offer.

Then id be tempted to start with the i1 Pro Black with X5 and 12mm Olympus lens, Flir XT, Agisoft Photoscan Pro - keep your processing off the cloud as you can offer more powerful processing and there are no data security issues. Get yourself a cm accurate GNSS device and add 5-10 ground control points on each survey, that linked with the Only 12mm will give you 1cm ground resolution with 1-2 cm accuracy on the survey. Be careful as I have had problems with sample data sets from thermal, as there is not enough resolution - so don't go thinking you could create a pdf report with a base map and geolocate the thermal layer accurately over the top - coz you can't! (yet).

Picking up a used I1 will also provide you with a backup should you then decide to upgrade to the M2xx once it is proven.

For controlling, stick with the iPad Pro, with Map Pilot Business Edition which will give you terrain following to ensure accurate heights and is on of the best mapping packages.

Also look at that fact you will need some sort of GIS software to create data from, ESRI is the leading one but be prepared for around £15K per year lic fees.

There also also other packages out there - I don't personally like Pix4D but thats a personal opinion.

Reactions: MGS
That sounds pretty awesome, I'll price it out.

I rarely buy anything that's the first generation, that is what put me on the fence about the M2xx.

As for software, I do use ESRI but I think the 98% of world is going to move towards open source software so I've been doing more with QGIS.

I just started a trial with Pix4D so I'm not sure about what I think yet, I processed a sample data set that I've used with others for a comparison, should be interesting. I have used DroneDeploy, Precision Mapper, and Maps Made Easy.

Thanks again,

Jerry

I do use ESRI but I think the 98% of world is going to move towards open source software so I've been doing more with QGIS.
I agree with QGIS being Mac and PC which I like - however most of the clients in the UK are ERSI based - how do you rate ArcGIS Pro 2 to QGIS 2.18 ?

Having used 10.x for a while, QGIS 2.18.11 stacks up pretty well. The best way I can describe the difference is similar to switching from PC to Mac. I know QGIS can do the work but it usually takes me a minute to find it. For me a matter of just being familiar with the layout. I've been recreating projects that I've done in ArcGIS with QGIS just to see what it can do and so far I like it. The fact that it's free really goes a long way for me.

... Thanks - so which is the pc and which is the mac!

We are lucky as we get the complete ESRI suite for a very low price as we are not for profit, but I like the idea of QGIS as is PC and Mac compatible, and could happily work with it on MacBook Pro with photoscan pro

Reactions: MGS

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarthmovingAdelaide